Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

Christchurch quake (#2)

Ready to move to Auckland boys haha a quick skim read shows quite afew of the chch boys checking in, good to see you guys are ok!

As others have said i'm sure, If any of you chch boys need help let me know, im out in Rolleston so we wernt affected much,

If you want up to date info on the quake follow Pjay on facebook.. as i said on FB, total GC Bro! He is posting links to everything left right and centre. it's been awesome while i've been at work, I just go on my phone and check up on stuff thru his posts haha

Posted Image

Silver lining??

Not my photo..taken off oldschool.co.nz

Edited by HT.

It was pretty scary all right - I was on the 4th floor of my workplace, don't now which one my wife was on in her building. No power or water, we're staying with friends. First thoughts were find daughter at nursery, wife managed to call me on way out. BOth buildings have structural damage, but it appears Civil defence have nabbed it anyway.

Thoughts go to those severely affected - I'm lucky to have a job to come back to, and it will be changed to working at assistance centres for the forseeable future I think.

Posted Image

Silver lining??

Not my photo..taken off oldschool.co.nz

I just laughed so hard at that photo!! haha

this is our chch branch .. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries...l-missing-staff

I can update that info ...

We had a phone conference at lunch time with the CEO and executive leadership team from Auckland, and the various offices around the country.

2 of the 3 mentioned Marsh employees are still unaccounted for, but they were last seen in the building before the quake hit, so not looking good, but still holding out hope for them

The 3rd person mentioned in the article has passed away, unconfirmed, but our CEO spoke to his wife and she said that she was told of his death by the emergency workers. What is really unfortunate about this is that he was over from one of our Australian offices helping out the claims team with the September earthquake.

Chris

I think you look after our group life and tpd plan here in Chch...

I have dealings with the guys in Marsh Chch office on a regular basis

Is it possible for you to PM me with who are missing, but I completely understand if you wish not to .

I am particularly concerned for Phil M, Kieran R, Sue B and Chris A

Thanks

Mike

Hi guys. Thanks for your support and concern for the Chch members

Good to see some guys reporting in, some with close encounters.

My family are alive and well, no damage to our home apart from a few more new cracks in the floor tiles and others from 4/9 getting bigger. We are VERY lucky.

At 12.48 I was in a meeting with a client from Dubai and a business broker. Meeting was going really well until the board room started shaking. We were 3 floors up and I thought it was all over, waiting for the ceiling to cave in. I dived under the table, my guests sat paralysed in horror. The Dubai client was white with shock. As we evacuated I popped into my office to collect my jacket, cellphone and car keys and glanced out the window. My window is across the road from the Provincial Chambers on Durham St. It was a pile of rubble. The 8 story Brannigans building across the river with its mirror glass windows had several pop out showering glass on the street below. The exterior glass elevator was smashed and I couldn't see the elevator car.

My first reaction was to check in with our safety officer then dash off to get my 7 year old from school. Luckily our garage was intact and the car was not impeded in any way from getting out. It was a 3 hour trip to St Andrews up Papanui Rd in streets starting to flood back to Westmorland via the airport and Hornby in nose to tail traffic. The devastation in the streets along the way was unforgettable. I applaud the drivers that day - no panic, no impatience, all courteous and letting people in and merge.

Have since lost one mate who was in PGG, Crusaders board member Phil McDonald. Am waiting for fate of Marsh business associates in the same building.

Now the hard work begins ....

Mike

I think the hardest thing is being in area like mine not far from the chaos of the CBD and being unable to help and being stuck at home.

I managed to get my car from the the CBD today so if any Chch members need anything, ANYTHING, I am more than happy to get out there and do something to help so sing out. I am in Riccarton so no where is an issue so text or call me 0274654987

I new Murray Wood from CTV / Magnum Mac.

He and many of his staff were killed.

Rest in Peace Murray, you were a good bloke.

Hey Everyone, My family are all safe. I was working in Avonside, ran outside once the shaking stopped stepped into the street to find two large gushes of water starting to flood out of the pavement. As I walked around to check on the cracks I could feel the water beneath the asphalt, like a bubble, so weird. It took less than 30min to fill the street with water and flood into the business. We locked up, left the area and then took 1hr to travel home, a trip that normally takes just 15min, picked up my son from his school and finally reached my home which was still standing. We have now got power and a reduced water supply so things are easier. Since I had nowhere to go I put the new engine in my car...which is finished however it seems I snapped the automatic gear shift wire (e28 automatic). I will need to get to work next week I am in the Architectural industry and sure going to be busy now. Any help sorting this out would be appreciated. Cheers Adam. 02102534071 is my number. If anyone needs help or water or a place to charge their phone I am avaliable.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Anyone heard from member Sami (BMW NZ) down in Christchurch? Works for Pacific Blue near the airport and lives near Hornby I think. I lent him a cable just before quake (it's back with me now), but last I heard from him was on the 21st. Sent an email to him to see how he was and no reply.

Stay strong and condolences to those that have lost loved ones, friends or family.

Edited by M3_Power

Some of you clowns thought i was gonna be a cock aye :P

Na..not really... I just thought Pjay (Peter) might hold it for you :P

I like the comment on youtube comments which really sums up my feelings over the past few days.

"...i will never forget this day and when i go to complain about anything in my life, i will pause and remember, i have nothing to complain about..."

I was out helping clean up the road around the local school and we found a couple of boys on the school roof?? All we need is more damage although I can only imagine what they were intending on doing, cant believe the things bored teenagers get up to.

I am just checking in, I had the net when power was first restored but then it went that night.

Have moved around 25 tonne of silt so far from around the house with another 20 that still has to be taken but will have to be done by hand.

Anyway am still here and helping as much people as I can.

Prime Minister John Key has announced a package to assist earthquake victims over the next six weeks. It includes an earthquake support subsidy, with wide criteria, to help employers continue to pay employees. Earthquake Job Loss Cover will also be available to support employees whose employer believes their business is no longer viable. The package is estimated to cost between $100 - $120 million.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/government...ployers-4042337

Chris

I think you look after our group life and tpd plan here in Chch...

I have dealings with the guys in Marsh Chch office on a regular basis

Is it possible for you to PM me with who are missing, but I completely understand if you wish not to .

I am particularly concerned for Phil M, Kieran R, Sue B and Chris A

Thanks

Mike

hi

Yes I'm in the employee benefits team in Wgtn

I can't name names sorry, but I can let you know that those 4 are all ok

We spoke with Chris A just after it happened, he left the building to go for lunch only a few minutes before the quake struck

We've found temporary office space for the CHCH staff, and are just trying to suss out laptops for them, so they'll be back up and running soon

I am just checking in, I had the net when power was first restored but then it went that night.

Have moved around 25 tonne of silt so far from around the house with another 20 that still has to be taken but will have to be done by hand.

Seriously 45 tonne :o That is around 125 cubic metres of silt!!

Surely that would mean your house was just about buried?

Edited by zenetti

Your maths is off sir...

Silt (dry loose i'm assuming) is roughly 0.8 of a tonne per m^3. It's about 56m^3

Sand, wet - 1.92 tonne/cubic meter

Sand, wet, packed - 2.08 tonne/cubic meter

Sand, dry - 1.60 tonne/cubic meter

Sand, loose - 1.44 tonne/cubic meter

Topsoil (some moisture - 1.44 tonnes/cubic meter

Water - 1 tonne/cubic meter

I'd assume it would be a less than 40m^3

Your maths is off sir...

Silt (dry loose i'm assuming) is roughly 0.8 of a tonne per m^3. It's about 56m^3

Sand, wet - 1.92 tonne/cubic meter

Sand, wet, packed - 2.08 tonne/cubic meter

Sand, dry - 1.60 tonne/cubic meter

Sand, loose - 1.44 tonne/cubic meter

Topsoil (some moisture - 1.44 tonnes/cubic meter

Water - 1 tonne/cubic meter

I'd assume it would be a less than 40m^3

sorry I just used a quick tonne- cubic meter converter :lol:

Still 56 cubic metres is still a lot of dirt/silt

It's not dry, loose silt Heath. It's wet dense sand, packed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10709408

He described the women as Polynesian and in their early 20s. One of the women was of a slim build with red and golden hair. The other was described as fat.

Sounds remarkably like the wastes of oxygen that live over the road from me. Called the cops, even if its not them I suspect they'll find something worth locking them up for! :D