Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

Petro Octane

Got my first bmw e39 530i a few weeks back, first tried 91 octane. Computer shows a fuel consumption of 7km/l of petrol, also making funny sounds...

Just fuelled up with shell vpower 95 octane fuel, immediately the fuel consumption improved to 9.8km/l of petrol!!!

Wow, what a difference...

Lucky it was a fairly modern engine with a reasonably smart computer, else you could've been looking at some pricy bills for a new engine there...

Surely its not as bad as using diesel in it.... :)

Only use diesel if you have insects installed.

Surely its not as bad as using diesel in it.... :)

In a car which doesnt adjust the timing to stop pinging on low octane fuel, yeah it'd probably be worse than diesel. I'd imagine the diesel would simply not ignite? But I may be wrong, whereas the low octane fuel would combust unexpectedly and violently, melting your pistons and making a right mess :P

I lol'd.

I don't think the E39 had the ANT option <_<

Does it really make that much of a difference? Ive been using 91 as it was cheaper but maybe I should spening the extra...

What about Mobil's 98 octane?

Run 95 if it recommends you do so, as said running 91 will cost more in the long run. I would not worry about your car blowing up though.

I ran mine on 110 over a couple of tanks and consumption went up so it cuts both ways.

Run 95 if it recommends you do so, as said running 91 will cost more in the long run. I would not worry about your car blowing up though.

I ran mine on 110 over a couple of tanks and consumption went up so it cuts both ways.

As mentioned, a modern car has knock sensors and other engine lifesavers to prevent any major damage occurring, however they will make it a pig to drive on 91. If it recommends 95 it is for a good reason, however going to a higher octane than recommended will provide very little, if any gain as the higher octane fuels actually burn slower (and more controlled).

So just run it on what its designed/tuned for and you'll be much happier! :D

Minimum octane rating for all BMW's is 95 RON

AMEN and so it shall be

i have to tell this to people all the time

theres even a sticker in most bmw's petrol cap saying so

In a car which doesnt adjust the timing to stop pinging on low octane fuel, yeah it'd probably be worse than diesel. I'd imagine the diesel would simply not ignite? But I may be wrong, whereas the low octane fuel would combust unexpectedly and violently, melting your pistons and making a right mess :P

2002 Nissan Sunny, FB15, 1.5L Auto. Was running a bit rough and unsure why. Engine would cut out when you came to a stop at traffic lights. Once moving it went ok. Turned out was running on two cylinders which was a bit odd. Someone had filled it with diesel.

The fuel cap of my NZ New 330, states 91-98 RON.

However, I've tried half a tank of 91, pinged a bit, so i filled up the rest with 95 the next day - much better.

My old NZ new e30 325i had a sticker inside the petrol flap saying "Use only Unleaded 91" so thats what I always used..

Maybe I should start running 98 in the m50 then? It's just so damn expensive..

I can hardly afford to run it on 91 these days..

Our fuel in NZ is manufactured with additives to get an octane rating, it is not refined to the octane rating (RON)

what are you trying to say here Glenn? 91 is the same as 98 just minus a few additives?

Tectron cleans my engine as i'm driving so I no longer need to change my oil. Its great. :blink:

I lol'd

I don't think the E39 had the ANT option <_<

I Rofl'd

Tectron cleans my engine as i'm driving so I no longer need to change my oil. Its great. :blink:

then i Roflmao

... on topic tho my sticker does say 91-98 altho ive never used lower than 95, as glen mentioned there is probably some technicality in the octane rating system.

Edited by Matt45

I think 95 from shell is definitely worth it. It was really obvious in mine.

It never got close to 7.8km/l on 91, and it just went straight up to 9.8km/l on 95 straightaway and even 10.5km/l at one stage.

Besides that, the engine sounds smoother and obviously the response is better.

I have tried 98 on my twin turbo suby before and it made no difference, cant really imagine 98 being any major improvement over 95 for the bimmer too. At least not as obvious as the difference between 91 and 95.

Definitely recommend 95 for the bimmer, 91 is for lawn mowers...

I was just curious to find out.

Meh.

I run the 540 on 91.

No probs. Dont buy into the economy argument either.

The fuel cap of my NZ New 330, states 91-98 RON.

However, I've tried half a tank of 91, pinged a bit, so i filled up the rest with 95 the next day - much better.

yes i have seen head gasgets eaten away from people driving arund with pinging engines

My old NZ new e30 325i had a sticker inside the petrol flap saying "Use only Unleaded 91" so thats what I always used..

Maybe I should start running 98 in the m50 then? It's just so damn expensive..

I can hardly afford to run it on 91 these days..

e30 320i 325i with a lower compression engine around 8.5:1 or 9:1 cr will be fine on 91 but say e28 535i with 10:1 cr will need 95 or higher

but a e34 535i with 9:1 cr will run ok on 91.

but most later tiwncam engines are 10:1 CR so require 95 or higher