Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Rare E46 330d M Sport manual

Nice car, and a very nice combination all round, the only thing possibly missing is the leather (and that is purely a matter of personal taste).

There does look to be some very interesting bidding going on in the auction. I'm 99% sure the bidder "thorbet" was linked to the Strat on one of his dodgy auctions. Look out!

Yeah, I've come across this bidder on several $1 reserve auctions. The leather thing is a downer, that said those seats are still quite nice.

EDIT : Didn't realise it was a German import. Better than a Jap import? I'm gonna have a very small stab at it, auto-bid of well below what it's worth, but I think this car could be an absolute dream of a daily car.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

For some reason he's withdrawn the auction and then re-listed it.

Totally lost interest in it now, bugger em - looks like the listed distance travelled was in miles anyway.

For some reason he's withdrawn the auction and then re-listed it.

Totally lost interest in it now, bugger em - looks like the listed distance travelled was in miles anyway.

Looks a nice car only thing lacking would be leather .I couldnt find it on TM at all.

Guess s/he wasn't happy with the price it was going at. That's a lot of car for $12000

Hate tossers pull this kind of sh*t

Placed a bid. Lets see what happens.

The auction wasn't due to expire until the 16th at any rate. Muppet much?

Nice car for sure! But mileage on a diesel, maintainance could be costly. How long do these engines last?

Nice car for sure! But mileage on a diesel, maintainance could be costly. How long do these engines last?

a diesel should last longer than a petrol engine as they are more "heavy duty"My little 120 is approaching 100k...

a diesel should last longer than a petrol engine as they are more "heavy duty"My little 120 is approaching 100k...

Just run in, should loosen up a bit now ;)

Yeah, funny that, I specifically asked about the distance as it was a RHD UK spec, but listed in Kms. Didn't want to get too know-it-all with them, but it turns out it was in miles so a bit of a difference.

I don't think they are trying to pull any funny stuff with the re-listing, I think they are just a bit noob when it comes to TradeMe. Still might be worth a cheeky bid Clinton..?

Swirl flap failure seems to be an issue in these motors. At 200+k I`m going to do some more investigating before I bid more.

This info helps to isolate which engine builds this occurs in :E46 diesel info

Swirl flap failure seems to be an issue in these motors. At 200+k I`m going to do some more investigating before I bid more.

This info helps to isolate which engine builds this occurs in :E46 diesel info

manufactured 7/2004 M57N engine Engine no: 36365704

Chassis: WBAED92080AB69978

manufactured 7/2004 M57N engine Engine no: 36365704

Chassis: WBAED92080AB69978

Thanks Paul.

The swirl flap issue has happened in these engines, but is not as common as in the 2.0ltr diesels of the same time. The 3.0d uses the bigger flap, which is a bit more robust. Just to be safe I have taken the flaps out of mine and put the blanking plugs in - it's only a couple of hour job to pull off the inlet and swap out the flaps, and no difference in performance or emissions.

Another area of concern is the turbo failure, in this later version of the E46 it should be better, but again the issue is not un-known.

From what they said in the previous listing about THEY had changed the oil every 10ks, I would look carefully at the service history. Yes, the book says you can run to 18,000 miles between services, but only if you use the correct oils, not if you chuck Supercheap 10w/40 in it!

If thats the same engine as the X5 "M57TUD30" then they are a good engine. The dealer in Dunedin has an X5 with that engine and it's done 300kms from new without any engine issues. Only one example I know but I've heard similar stories on X5 outpost forums with huge mileages, mostly with gearbox & electrical issues but still healthy engines.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Speaking of the swirl flaps, i've seen an M57D30 swallow one which in turn stopped the motor very quickly. Nothin like giving some confidence ;)

The M57D30 is an older unit though, surely they made changes to the newer ones.

Same unit as this 46, think it was the technical update version in the 53.

Listing has disappeared again.. wonder what has happened now??