Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Bimmersport redesign

Hey guys,

I would like to start up a topic about the long over-due website redesign.

We are currently looking into this and would like to open the floor to you guys for feature requests.

If we can keep it on topic to thoughtful features and requests would be great.

We have some in mind and obviously all the usual stuff.

Some of whats planned.

Video embedding

Proper smartphone support

Updated basic forum functions

Graphical overhaul

Cheers

If it aint broke don't fix it? Or is it broke?

Youve already got the only feature i really want on your list :).

So gonna end up with something like m.bimmersport.co.nz? lol

Mobile access would be handy.

Are you upgrading the forum software or just slight visual tweaks?

This forum (and Bimmerforums) have the best layout, clean, simple, no rubbish, keep that :D

I have been a member of several forums and BS is by far the best I've used.

Apart from video embedding my vote is to keep it exactly as is.

tapatalk for mobile would be about the only thing I would like to see.

Mobile support either by an App or m.bimmersport.co.nz would be good.

Hey guys,

Cheers for the feedback so far. Keep it coming.

The forum software is being updated to the latest version so is the content management system.

The forum will also have a graphical overhaul, however im keen to keep things on the simple vibe as well. Will be looking to step the look up a bit more in time with newer sites. Good thing is the current software has an 'auto detect' when you first vists so it will load the approprite format to suit. You can always go back with this mode however.

can it be setup so you can be logged in from 2 devices, ie comp and phone without having to log in to each every time?

No tapa talk it's crap on iPad :(

Site is good, keep it as close to what it is.

I'd vote against embedded video it falls over in ie9 a lot of the time.

I'd vote against embedded video it falls over in ie9 a lot of the time.

I'd vote against ie9 as it falls over with embedded video a lot of the time.

Mobile support either by an App or m.bimmersport.co.nz would be good.

+1

i just want it so it remembers im logged in each time i visit >_<

Other than that, i dont have an issue with it. Clean, easy to use, easy to navigate.

can it be setup so you can be logged in from 2 devices, ie comp and phone without having to log in to each every time?

This. Never used to be a problem, but now i used it at work school and both computers in the house haha.

Another vote for video embedding

and how about getting rid of the option of that different layout that keeps tripping people up when they come to here from google links? id be surprised if anyone actually uses it. I signed up but never came here untill one day i found out how to change it and now im here too much lol.

Other than that, layout as it is is perfect imo. Maybe having the option of a static picture as it is now or a snazzy slideshow styled thing at the top of the page that scrolls through members cars? would have to be switchable for phones/work etc where data is limited? would make us look classy though

tapatalk for mobile would be about the only thing I would like to see.

This

and make it so the site uses the ENTIRE SCREEN on a widescreen.....

Make the username and profile larger make it a footer or header full width, and more compulsary info as well.

and make it so the site uses the ENTIRE SCREEN on a widescreen.....

Yeah thats one Ollie didnt want to let go of this last time. Mainly because it made the front page look a bit average but I agree entirely, sites are fairly easy to code to work of percentages not lock widths.

Wide screens are the norm these days so it will most likely be percentage based this time around.

Posted Image

It's gets pretty strange... and yeah. hate to moan and bitch, but you could fit so much more on a large screen, like most people have now.

First of all, thanks for running a great forum , whilst I'm not a volume poster I find that I'm often reading the forums.

Some ideas / thoughts

Events calendar on the front page , have a running ticker tape of up coming events

Front page has past events going back over a year. Try and keep the page a bit more recent

Check the multimedia area more frequently , many of the links are broken and are old . Look at a way where members can update this area out of the forums

Put bimmersport merhandise on the front page

Keep a check of relavant advertising on the front page. E.G tonight we have dresses and handbangs being offered (great for drag racing ?) yet what % of members are ladies ?

Make it easier for member to contribute to the running of the forum via email drop or front page (internet / webhosting charges etc)

Have a look at using later versions of Vbulletin, later versions are great for embedding multimedia , sponsor adverts etc (Check out kiwibiker.co.nz for E.G of this software)

Rolling banners on front page for those companies that support bimmersport

Have an Expert forum with a number of topic areas....... Some ideas for Expert forums going beyond forum stickies.

This site has some of the best advice found on any site in the world , People like Jochen on all things electronic / Nat Sav , yourself for that matter on race car setup/car mods, Conrod for engine advice, The guys that built that E46 race car with M5 v8 transplant.

No doubt we have professionals in the tyre industry on here that can offer advice less subject advice on performance tyre choice and advise on the lastest and greatest developments in this area.

I also notice from time to time we have some great NZ bmw race drivers on here. Would like to hear about the odd racing story , bios etc.

Some people know more about E30's than is humanly possible in one's life time , others know E28's E36's E46's like the back of there hands

BMW motorsport area .... Role of honour , team profiles , car profiles.

Also ,perhaps keep a check on the BMW Dealer bashing that goes on here ? When a dealer tried to enage via the forums on here (offering discounts on e46 body kits a few years back) they where chased off by a couple of members and haven't re-engaged since. No doubt other forum members could have benefitted from the start and future of that inital enagement.

I belong to a Mini club in Wellington which enjoys great Club support via the local BMW / Mini dealer and as a result I can get a discount on BMW parts as a result of Mini Club membership. You'd think it should be via Bimmerport.

Edited by Neal

'

nice google search in explorer bar... NERD :P

/off topic

I use Firefox 5 for Mac and whenever I switch connection (say from Home WiFi to mobile XT Broadband), I'll need to re-login to the site. Can I get a login that stays logged in on a browser regardless of connection changes?

nice google search in explorer bar... NERD :P

/off topic

Lol.

Dude, fingernails :P

I have no complaints about BS. One of the easiest forums to navigate I've found.

I think you will find that a lot of things people are asking for are pretty much catered for in the latest version of invision and what isn't can be easily placed with drop in hooks.

It also gives the users a lot more options to setup things for themselves.