Sign in to follow this  
Docile

3 strike copyright law

Visit My Website

"What’s the new law about?

The law is called the Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Act 2011. It amends the Copyright Act 1994 to provide owners of copyrighted works such as movies, TV shows and music a quicker and easier way to penalise people infringing their copyright via online file sharing. The intention of the law changes is to crack down on peer-to-peer file sharing.

You get 2 notices (warnings) and then, following the 3rd notice, the copyright owner can take you to the Copyright Tribunal. Depending upon circumstances, generally the minimum penalty is $275 and maximum $15,000, payable to the copyright owner.

The person who owns the Internet account (account holder) is liable, even if he or she wasn’t the person who broke the law. Allegations of copyright infringement made against you (the account holder) by the copyright owner are presumed to be correct unless you give evidence or reasons why you aren’t guilty." see website for more details

I'll wait for my first warning then look into ways around it/proxies.

Eat sh*t lawmakers.

ok a bit of summary after perusing the website:

THIS law only covers peer to peer downloading and does not cover files downloaded from online storage i.e. megaupload, rapidshare etc.

free WIFI from coffee shops may soon be exctinct. :(

maximum fine of up to $15,000 and 6 months no internet.

even if you ( the owner of the account) did not download anything you are responsible. i.e. nephew downloads from your internet, then you are liable.

Allegations of copyright infringement made against you are presumed to be correct unless you give evidence or reasons why it shouldn’t be. However, if you do provide evidence or reasons, then the copyright owner needs to prove that their accusations are correct.

it cost them $25 to give a notice to you. and more than $25 per infringment that will cost your isp to send you that letter.

movie streaming, downloading from online media storage and youtubing is not covered in THIS act but are / probably covered in another act.

Sooo.. basically they will ping ya if you download via torrent peer - peer 'sharing' of copywrited material.

Edited by Docile

already sorted. will be downloading from FTP in the US, wont be tracked.

too many ways around this, and WiFi in cafe's can be protected by disabling torrent and p2p connections, i think auckland university has this in action already

But its up to the content owner to file a complaint before you will be sent your warning? or will they just watch your connections?

If so people from the us post if the download is been traced or not.

Im going to wait until i get my warning before i go get a seed box.

its up to the copyright owner to complain irc, but alot of them are tracking connections already by outsourcing the task to other companies, even private torrents are being tracked in some cases.

but you also have to think that its costing them $25 to warn people when they wanted the cost to be under $2 we will just have to wait as see!

So all my house utilities are under my name, and the people living with me use the internet. How am I able to protect myself without looking over their shoulder? Does each person have to have their own connection coming tom the house????

Democracy eh

its shocking. Now im accountable for what my stupid flatmates do on the interwebs....

Thanks to the politicians that dont even remotely understand those personal computational devices, or the interwebnets.

oh snap that's more of a headache in a flat situation hahahaha.. dont think you can do much apart from blocking torrent downloads and be an internet nazi and put the hammer down on your flatmates

the file sharing monitoring is done by outsourced companies. i think what they do is actually 'share' a particular file (they seed it) so they can see who is connected to the file then copy the IP addresses. then the copyright holder would buy that information and go from there. that is why smart people never download from public torrent trackers. Private trackers ftw :D

I'll wait for my first warning then look into ways around it/proxies.

Eat sh*t lawmakers.

Like you and most of the others i will be doing exactly the same.

+1000 - completely awesome. And then tunnel it through SSH and you are fully protected from any snooping - anywhere...

I demand an explanation for us IT noobs!! :P

MEH, I got one 18/12/2007 and haven't had one since.

I hide behind nothing.

^^^ Apart from...

there was nothing to hide about 4 years ago, the Movie houses had no power here, which has changed!!

my mate signed up for it the day before the law came into effect. can't comment on high well it works but says his ip was somewhere in sweden when testing it via different ip traces

Edited by Gunner

Hmm i wonder if i will get a warning using vuze and piratebay :ph34r:

would that slow down your internet though?

Yes.

And most VPN services hate people using torrents etc, so don't be surprised if you get kicked off.

yeah thought so. as your internet would be routing all the way to the other side of the world. unless you get a local provider

http://www.ipredator.se - anyone actually signed up and using this in NZ?

It is sweet and you get about 200k/sec, and they don't care about torrents.

And you are in Sweden.

You even get Swedish google if you go to google.com in you browser while connected.