Sign in to follow this  
Docile

3 strike copyright law

200KB/s is pretty weak.... Considering I normally download around 1 to 1.5 MB/s

Just going to keep downloading tbh until I get my first warning notice (prob never happen)

i download at 800kb~.. so getting 200kb~ down is a bit of a downgrade. just go private tracker and not public trackers. much safer but no gaurantee.

Yes.

And most VPN services hate people using torrents etc, so don't be surprised if you get kicked off.

True, but you won't get kicked off this one - it was created specifically as a reaction to Swedish government bringing similar sort of law to our NZ one.

And its actually run by Pirate Bay :)

Good luck with your pirating and copyright infringement goals of 2011 (srs).

i download at 800kb~.. so getting 200kb~ down is a bit of a downgrade. just go private tracker and not public trackers. much safer but no gaurantee.

You will be tracked really really quickly. I've got an apache honeypot running - and the speed in which the evidence collection sites touch your router is really fast. Really fast. What people are banking on here is that the "system" will be slow and cumbersome and "I won't get caught". Once you get the first warning, I can assure you that your account will have extra surveillance put onto it and any touch of a torrent will be reported faster than anyone else. Its all setup and ready to fire.

Even on a private tracker - you only need a person to seed the torrent to public users and your IP will be included in the pool. It does happen.

Really interesting if you do setup a honeypot and then you will see how quickly those evidence collectors hit you - it is amazing!

You will be tracked really really quickly. I've got an apache honeypot running - and the speed in which the evidence collection sites touch your router is really fast. Really fast. What people are banking on here is that the "system" will be slow and cumbersome and "I won't get caught". Once you get the first warning, I can assure you that your account will have extra surveillance put onto it and any touch of a torrent will be reported faster than anyone else. Its all setup and ready to fire.

Even on a private tracker - you only need a person to seed the torrent to public users and your IP will be included in the pool. It does happen.

Really interesting if you do setup a honeypot and then you will see how quickly those evidence collectors hit you - it is amazing!

da f**k?

Your ISP does not monitor your account, they do not give a sh*t what you do.

da f**k?

Your ISP does not monitor your account, they do not give a sh*t what you do.

Correct. You are right. Read what I put.

Nothing about ISPs - they will just hand over the lock in time/ip/userID records to the people who demand it.

As soon as your blocks make it onto a machine which is there serving up the movie (looks just like you - but is owned by the evidence collectors. These are pretty smart companies who gather IPs from block sharers). They then do a reverse lookup on your ip (and traverse any proxies) until they get the ISP who issued the IP for that point in time. They then submit this for verification to the ISP. They are quite on to it - so don't underestimate the techniques and tools that the overseas companies have - nothing to do with the ISP in NZ.

As I said, I have had a honeypot running for a few months - and the overseas evidence collector companies latch onto your router address in about 20-40 minutes after you start on a torrent. These are NOT NZ companies - these are very well established overseas companies who are employed by the media companies to get IPs who are downloading their movies. This new law gives THEM power to demand further evidence from the ISPs - and then they can come after you.

Good times - get a VPN.

The part where I get confused with is where extra monitoring will be put on your account. What account?

Also, what are you seeing in your apache logs that indicate these 'evidence collectors' are 'hitting' you?

The part where I get confused with is where extra monitoring will be put on your account. What account?

Also, what are you seeing in your apache logs that indicate these 'evidence collectors' are 'hitting' you?

Yeah, ip block you belong to gets an extra priority in their tracking systems, so not account.

They put a nice text sig into your logs which let's you know you have been locked and loaded into their system. It's very clear!

Can you post a piece of your apache log? I check my apache logs everynow and then, and apart from some skiddies trying some lame attacks I have not seen anything like this.

Can you post a piece of your apache log? I check my apache logs everynow and then, and apart from some skiddies trying some lame attacks I have not seen anything like this.

I haven't done anything out in the open for a long time!

would one of the new 3rd party download services like leechpack protect you,you are downloading your torrents etc to a 3rd party server in another country first then accessing them from your own private account with simple http download managers.

Just get a seedbox, transfer everything back using SFTP.

So with the torrents being tracked, is that them (the evidence collectors) tracking everything with copyright, or do you reckon they will be focussing on curreng stuff only? e.g. new releases, not yet released, etc.?

i got a warning couple of years ago for a non-block buster movie that was around 3 years old at the time. you just never know.

FWIW, 30 bucks a month on a decent seedbox or similar amount of money on VPN's/proxies etc etc is alot of rented content at your local video store considering how many good movies that gets released monthly

edit: spelling

Edited by dubman

still need access to a private tracker to use on a seedbox, they don't let you use public one's

music / film / tv studios need to wake up and realise that we are in a digital age and make their content readily available here, and not at some extortionate price like we get with video games

Exactly.

If we had the equivalent of Netflix here, with up to date tv shows and ISPs that didn't charge for traffic, it'd make a killing

especially now that we're finally starting to get ok'ish data caps

Just an update I have purchased a VPN which puts my computer connection in the netherlands. The speeds aren't too bad I guess as I was only gettign 500kbps on avg before and now with the vpn roughly 350kbps. Currently only have the vpn on my computer but haven't put it on the other computers in the house. Don't think i really need to since my laptops the only one used for downloading. Hopefully its worth the $10 a month

So what VPN are people using?

None.

Come at me infringement notices.

Now that this law has been in effect for a couple months now I'd like to know who's ignoring it and still downloading? Anyone received any warning letters?