Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Genuine 94 ALPINA 318i

Hey guys, not really a trademe discussion but i have been offered this

post-5369-1320481004.jpg

BMW, 1994, 120,000kms, full tan leather interior, 19x9z on front and 19x9.5z on back with new stretched tyres front and back, Alpina front lip, new JVC head unit + 6" speakers+4" speakers + sub in boot. Professionally darkened tail lights, automatic, clear front and side indicators, adjustables in rear, compressed springs in front.

Has the Alpina plate on the firewall and is pretty good nick!

The guy has asked for me too make an offer and i'm thinking around 5k mark, does this seem around the right ballpark? Cheers

Got any more photos, particularly the engine bay. 5k would be a cheap genuine Alpina if it is just that.

Nope, going to have a look tomorrow or monday. it's a friends of a work mate, i had a look on carjam plate no APA674 but looks pretty standard, does anyone know how to tell a genuine one?

Nope, going to have a look tomorrow or monday. it's a friends of a work mate, i had a look on carjam plate no APA674 but looks pretty standard, does anyone know how to tell a genuine one?

Even our BMW system will say its a standard 318i, not going to repeat myself in this thread, read my comment in this: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=37993

Somewhere in there i've explained.

If it has a plate in the engine bay take a photo and post it back up.

where's the alpina spoiler kit , alpina wheels ,

i would say just dressed up

maybe done in japan?? like the e34 535i B10 one i had

I would do a proper check on some of the Alpina web-sites, there are a few good ones, like the Alpina register. Check the plate details against the model info on there.

From a quick browse it would appear that they never made a version with a 1.8ltr engine in an E36.

Worst case, ignore the Alpina bit and treat it for what it is, looks tidy, a few $$$s of rims but it is still a 1.8 at the end of the day.

The Alpina E36 models were B6 2.8 KAT 1992 - 3, B3 3.0 1993 - 5, B8 4.6 1995 - 8, B3 3.2 1996 - 9. There was no 1.8.

Edited by Tiddles

Forget the Alpina bit-looks nice with some nice options-wheels & leather.

$5k would be top dollar imo..it is still a 318 which doesnt help the value & the 'is' means nothing.

Some careful shopping around & you could score a nice 328 for that money

I want to see the plate in the engine bay. If it has actually got one?

Some careful shopping around & you could score a nice 328 for that money

I already have 2 thirsty cars and am really happy with the economy and reliability of the 318's

I had a look at this over the weekend, the young guy was definitely trying to flog it off as an Alpina but there were no indications at all that it was and no plate on the firewall :huh:

In reasonably good condition but he wanted at least 7k for it, so not worth it imo.

But hes put 19 inch wheels on it and lowered it, surely should of put the price up... :rolleyes:

But yeah i wouldn't pay anything more than 5 for it. If your really interested, just point out parts that need replacing.. and bring him down some $$$

EDIT: Tell him the price has dropped 2k as he lied to you saying its Alpina..

Edited by Jedi Mind Tricks

I already have 2 thirsty cars and am really happy with the economy and reliability of the 318's

I had a look at this over the weekend, the young guy was definitely trying to flog it off as an Alpina but there were no indications at all that it was and no plate on the firewall :huh:

In reasonably good condition but he wanted at least 7k for it, so not worth it imo.

I get 8.4-9.4l/100km out of a 328i manual in Auckland rush hour traffic, how much better would you expect a 318i auto to be?

I get 8.4-9.4l/100km out of a 328i manual in Auckland rush hour traffic, how much better would you expect a 318i auto to be?

Woahziss. My 318i is 10.5 per 100k. Must be getting ripped off here. The old lady has a 325i and my old man has a 335i and i have the highest litres per 100k out of all of them :( must be a heavy foot.... :ph34r:

the 1.6/1.8 arent economical at all. prob lack of technology/power compared to the 2.8's which makes them more efficient

the 1.6/1.8 arent economical at all. prob lack of technology/power compared to the 2.8's which makes them more efficient

Yeah, my mate has a 2.0 and its terrible on gas, probably can't decide if its a 4 cylinder or 6 (even though its a 6) and needs the extra power to get up and go.

Possibly, and also the fact that you drive everywhere with your foot flat to the floor trying to get the thing to move!!

Have a friend with a 320 (e30) & try as we might cant get better than 11/12 around town

Have a friend with a 320 (e30) & try as we might cant get better than 11/12 around town

Same here. And cant get worse than 14-15, so I just go for the quickest drive, not the most efficient :P

try as i might, i have never sucessfully explained this to anyone. my E34 520i was fairly shocking, and my 525i isnt much better. Had a chat with Oli down here with a 540i at one point, and he was getting the same as my 2L...

I think its the auto in them that kills it more than anything however... my E30 M318i is the most fuel efficient car ive owned, and my E30 320i's economy improved by about 2L/100km from 11 to around 8-9 just by doing the manual conversion on it.

Edit: for what its worth my volvo turbo was pretty good too, but that had some swanky feature where it locked up the torque converter mechanically, so was like a manual in terms of economy when in top gear

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

auto is a bitch... got a 3L hilux manual and it does 10L / 100km.. just coast it along on neutral. select a gear higher for idle roll in traffic and all sweat:)

the 740i atm has 13.6L/ 100km average since the start of this year ( i reset it every year). the ole 320i gets about 10 -11L / 100k

i miss driving the e30 318i manual :'( crazy in the wet.. but damn economical. (gas wise)

328i auto wagon 9.2l per 100km on a trip loaded with kids and bikes etc

11.5 around town.

my 328i coupe 5spd with super charger about the same or better when on a trip

my mates 318ti m44 1.9L converted to a 5spd upto 700km + on a tank

I totally agree with the power/weight ratio affecting the fuel economy.

My old 318iS manual got about 600-650km's per tank of 65L and the 330i now gets about 700km/65L in town and about 750-800km/65L on open road trips!

My foots a little heavy.. 15.5 l/100km, although I just put in a straight pipe so have been making it sing a little.

Best was 13.5 when concentrating on it.

Actually, I stuffed up, couldn't figure out why the figure looked so good, then realised the web site I used for the conversion calculated on US gallons, not imperial. Correct figure for round town usage only is 9.9-11.3l/100km. Had 7.7l/100km on a relaxing trip.