Sign in to follow this  
max

e30 Suspension upgrade fail.

So today I tried to put some new springs in my touring, only on the front. And instead of getting low, it now sits about 40mm higher on one side, and no, I didn't install hydros.

Long story short is I never managed to get the strut out from under the guard, spring compressors wound up pretty damn tight. I think where I went wrong was undoing the strut rod nut too early, which made the top of the spring that wasn't compressed go wild. Tried to bail and just put it all back together but never managed to get the strut rod high enough into the mount in order to screw the nut back on.

A. Is it safe enough to drive it with the shock not attached to the chassis to a "real" mechanic to sort it out?

B. Any tips on trying to push it higher?

C. Anyone is Chirstchurch game enough to come have a look at my *%^&up and help me out? Maybe a doz beers to sweeten the deal?

D. Anyone know the approx cost of getting springs installed?

Cheers :(

You can't just grab the shock shaft and pull it up and reach up and get the nut on?

For future ref, you loosen but do not remove the top nut before you even jack the car up (you may still need to get fancy with sockets to stop the shock from just spinning), then undo everything and pull the strut out, then compress the springs, remove the top nut, put your new springs in and reassemble. Better still, take the struts to a tire shop and they'll probably swap the springs for you - saves a lot of time if you are using wind on claw type compressors and don't have a rattle gun.

Good luck.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THE CAR ANYWHERE........ PLEASE

Get it towed to a repairer for it to be repaired. Unless someone is willing to to the repair for you at your place

You can't just grab the shock shaft and pull it up and reach up and get the nut on?

For future ref, you loosen but do not remove the top nut before you even jack the car up (you may still need to get fancy with sockets to stop the shock from just spinning), then undo everything and pull the strut out, then compress the springs, remove the top nut, put your new springs in and reassemble. Better still, take the struts to a tire shop and they'll probably swap the springs for you - saves a lot of time if you are using wind on claw type compressors and don't have a rattle gun.

Good luck.

Nah it wouldn't budge, i'd say i'm about 3mm from getting access to the thread, i think maybe the thread is catching on a shim in the housing part. I couldn't get the main tie rod free either, even using a puller which meant I couldn't remove the strut. Those claw compressors are horrible! must have spent half the day winding an unwinding the bloody things.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THE CAR ANYWHERE........ PLEASE

Get it towed to a repairer for it to be repaired. Unless someone is willing to to the repair for you at your place

Yeah even reversing up the driveway it made some strange noises, would the shock not survive the trip?

would the shock not survive the trip?

I don't want you to hurt yourself, someone else or damage the car

The situation seemed to deteriorate this morning. Wasn't really looking for a camber that aggressive, especially a positive one. :blink:<_<

On the trailer it goes!

Posted Image

Scary stuff!! ^

Also wondering where you got your yellow tint for the foggys?

Its yellow headlight vinyl, comes on and off pretty easy which is good because Mr Wof man doesn't like it. Got it off Trademe, 300x1000 roll for around $30.

get the struts to a tire shop etc. its around $30 to swap each spring if you bring them the struts assembly.

i had sh*t loads of trouble with struts 1st time as well, hope you get it sorted. the tie rod and control arm joints are the worst to free up, takes practice

Remove the entire strut housing? I tried the technique you've attempted once and its crap for a home DIYer..Then you can compress the spring properly, piece together with or without the new springs and reinstall from scratch...

Yeah I tried to remove the strut altogether but couldn't get the larger of the two tie-rods off, even with the puller and torque wrench on there. I guess I should have made a better attempt at removing the rotor and dust shield which was preventing me to get the best access at the tie-rod. The rotor bolts didn't budge, should I try heating the nuts? The smaller tie-rod came off in an instant but this one is being a super pain in the ass. Taking the whole strut out does seem the way to go, if only I'd stuck with it! Had to drive the girlfriends car all weekend which was an absolute downer <_<

Second tie-rod? You mean the ball joint beneath the strut I assume..Did you get the nut off?

Can you bolt the top hat back up to the strut tower?

Second tie-rod? You mean the ball joint beneath the strut I assume..Did you get the nut off?

Can you bolt the top hat back up to the strut tower?

Yeah got the top hat bolted back in, but just can't get the shim's aligned with the spring housing well enough while its under pressure to get the strut rod high enough to put the nut back in from the top, which is why the whole thing has moved out the side with the spring bowing. I guess I could try compress the spring again, unbolt the top hat and get the strut rod in the housing before I bolt it back in the tower? sh*t its been a learning curve.

Edit: Its the larger of the joints on the rear side of the car that I can't get loose.

Edited by max

shock the surrounding housing of joint with a hammer, if it doesnt budge, loosen the nut until it sits flush top of thread. wrap it in a rag, then put a larger socket over the rag, then wack it.

last resort haha

I kind of get what you mean now. Could be dangerous but if the springs seated properly throwing a jack under the strut, jack it up slowly until the spring compresses and try maneuvering the shock into the top hat??

Or just unbolt the lower ball joint, beat the strut where the ball joint bolt goes through with a hammer and pry the strut upwards with a pipe/crowbar until it pops off. Bit of CRC or similar may help.

I kind of get what you mean now. Could be dangerous but if the springs seated properly throwing a jack under the strut, jack it up slowly until the spring compresses and try maneuvering the shock into the top hat??

Or just unbolt the lower ball joint, beat the strut where the ball joint bolt goes through with a hammer and pry the strut upwards with a pipe/crowbar until it pops off. Bit of CRC or similar may help.

I had it seated properly with the jack under the strut as I got the shims in position from the top but it only got halfway, snagged on the thread. As soon as I released the jack it banged out of position and the spring bowed which got me a bit scared!

Ill try get the strut off with the pickle fork, didn't want to attempt it earlier incase i buggered the bush, but i'm running out of options. If this doesn't go to plan hopefully I still have a face and I'll take it to a workshop.

Cheers for the help guys!

I had it seated properly with the jack under the strut as I got the shims in position from the top but it only got halfway, snagged on the thread. As soon as I released the jack it banged out of position and the spring bowed which got me a bit scared!

Do be scared! Well.... CAREFUL!!!! I've had a spring compressor let go off a spring before... they move FAST! Be wary of the pent up energy in that spring!

I also know it's hard to get spring comressors in the wheel arch of an E30 to try to compress the spring in place.

I hope it goes well.

Please, BE CAREFUL!

I'd recommend putting a chain (or bike-lock or similar) through the spring while you are messing around, and if possible attaching it to something else. So that if it does slip out it won't go far and hopefully won't make it near any body parts!!

Hi mate. I have removed springs on a e28 strut while they were out. I recommend it mate. Let me know if you want some help.

Ain't hindsight a bitch. Cheers for the offer tcbaurpower but I'll get it sorted, just need to get stuck into that stubborn ball joint.

Ain't hindsight a bitch. Cheers for the offer tcbaurpower but I'll get it sorted, just need to get stuck into that stubborn ball joint.

Get a big pry bar between the control arm and strut, put some pressure on it and hit the side of the strut where the ball joint is with a big hammer. Keep the nut on the balljoint so you dont damage it if you miss..