Sign in to follow this  
OneSeventy

New BMW keys for older cars

Hey guys, just wondering what the deal is with ordering new keys from BMW.

I went into Jerry Clayton and have been quoted $250ish for a spare basic key with no remote functions, and over $500 for a key with remote functions. Pretty steep but for some reason I am still tempted by the remote key. I think it helps that my current remote key doesn't look that flash as it got pretty scuffed by the previous owners.

I'm wondering though, does anyone know what exactly they would give me if I took the more expensive option? Will they give me the same thing as my car came with in 2001, only new, or will they give me a more modern key fob like the later BMWs? I'm sort of looking for something to make the $500 seem more worth it I guess.

Also, can car locksmiths do the job cheaper? Is it worth going elsewhere?

I appreciate anyone's help / advice.

What youv'e got is what you will get...only new this time round

so it's not possible to get the "flip" key coded for the likes of a E39?

What youv'e got is what you will get...only new this time round

Damn. I can't believe they're charging over $500 for that considering what $500 will get you these days mobile phone wise, etc.

Is there any cheaper way to go? Is there a possibility of ordering direct from Germany, hopefully removing the cut that the BMW dealer will take?

so it's not possible to get the "flip" key coded for the likes of a E39?

This is what I was hoping for to be honest.

Yeah just called BMW and it sounds like it's down to the type of key I have. Mine is an infrared key, and one of the last BMW made. After that they switched to new technology which doesn't rely on line-of-sight like infrared does. The newer keys don't have infrared at all so it just won't work.

I'm not paying $500 for an unscuffed version of what I already have so I'll just get the basic key and save some money.

If the remote stops working and you use the blade all the time, the lock will break. Then you may not be able to access the car. Cheapest fix then is to break a rear 1/4 window

If the remote stops working and you use the blade all the time, the lock will break. Then you may not be able to access the car. Cheapest fix then is to break a rear 1/4 window

:lol: Aren't BMWs great? How likely is the remote to stop working?

:lol: Aren't BMWs great? How likely is the remote to stop working?

Quite common.... either key, control unit or the barrel in the door starting to fail causing the switch not to be in it's central position

try these guys.

http://www.expresskeys.co.nz/

i have delt with them

they can do all sorts of keys cheaper than most places.

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Quite common.... either key, control unit or the barrel in the door starting to fail causing the switch not to be in it's central position

Every time I think about getting a later model BM, I read something like this and think, why?

If it's not cooling systems, it's electrics.

Come to think of it, I could have said a later model Euro.

Edited by Palazzo

Again, Call Paul at Milland.co.nz

I ordered my key from him, precut/coded to my car, a full remote key was about $320 inc GST, and a basic key was about $180 inc GST (from memory - was a few weeks back).

I was quoted by Claytons at $420 and $250 each. (plus I wanted a lock, and they were quoting the wrong part to me)

Mine is 315Mhz radio, so yours might be different though.

Guest Ari Gold

Is there a possibility of ordering direct from Germany, hopefully removing the cut that the BMW dealer will take?

What cut? I don't see any middle man?

That's what they charge, simple, don't like it then don't get it.

Every time I think about getting a later model BM, I read something like this and think, why?

If it's not cooling systems, it's electrics.

Come to think of it, I could have said a later model Euro.

Get an E90 (or something with FOB only)

then u dont have a "key" at all ... just kinda awkward when the electric steering locks stops working :P

Again, Call Paul at Milland.co.nz

I ordered my key from him, precut/coded to my car, a full remote key was about $320 inc GST, and a basic key was about $180 inc GST (from memory - was a few weeks back).

I was quoted by Claytons at $420 and $250 each. (plus I wanted a lock, and they were quoting the wrong part to me)

Mine is 315Mhz radio, so yours might be different though.

slightly OT but does he do other marques too? need a key for a late Mondeo, Ford wants $400 ish for one!

slightly OT but does he do other marques too? need a key for a late Mondeo, Ford wants $400 ish for one!

so bmw aint that bad then.....

Guest Ari Gold

Try ordering a new VW key, they start at four figures.

You're all being tight, surely your salaries have gone up at the same time as key prices?

Try ordering a new VW key, they start at four figures.

You're all being tight, surely your salaries have gone up at the same time as key prices?

wonder how much the newest ones would be....

^

Price is for key plus dealer computer coding. I've been told by a dealer that they need the car for half a day at least.

That's RIDICULOUS!

Guest Ari Gold

^

Price is for key plus dealer computer coding. I've been told by a dealer that they need the car for half a day at least.

That's RIDICULOUS!

Lulz, for what car, and what dealer?

Cost me $180 for my E38 key from Coombes Johnstone, standard one with light.

A few years ago for mums 120i a new key was just posted in the mail to her, and wasnt that expensive from jcBMW iirc. Her rav4 keys have been way more expensive when needed.

My understanding is that there are only 5 sets of keys for your car. 3 are supplied with the car and 2 remotes are held in a huge safe in Germany. Something to do with requirements in Europe. Supposedly if all the keys are used up or lost, then you have to change all locks including ignition, which is expensive.

Nah, Just BMW, sorry.

My understanding is that there are only 5 sets of keys for your car. 3 are supplied with the car and 2 remotes are held in a huge safe in Germany.

Sounds like an urban myth tbh