Sign in to follow this  
danutt

where to buy new shocks?

shocks are owned

going to lower the e30 m325i at the same time but in an effort to keep the cost from climbing too fast ...

who knows or is a shock supplier?

looking for good monroe or kyb...heard (read) kyb is better

need two fronts and after springs 50 - 60mm front and 40mm rear

not fussed if the springs are second hand and not interested in crazy handling ones just ones i can put up with and are decent enough to use every day

shocks on the other hand im looking for new unless they low mileage ones at a good price :)

point me in the right direction?

cheers

shocks are owned

shocks on the other hand im looking for new unless they low mileage ones at a good price :)

point me in the right direction?

cheers

Google, yellow pages and a phone :D

Edited by e38king

Turner motorsport in the US have a deal....FULL set Bilstein Sports Shocks with H & R springs NZ$1130 delivered to ur door.

They are very well known & reliable.

PS Billys are way better than the brands u mention & are oem on ur car

PPS NZ $425 for front shocks only

Edited by 1rotty

Turner motorsport in the US have a deal....FULL set Bilstein Sports Shocks with H & R springs NZ$1130 delivered to ur door.

wow thats a brilliant price!

Thats definitely what you should go for. Great price for what the dollar is at the moment.

I bought Koni sports shocks and springs for an E36 a couple of years ago from Demon Tweeks in the UK. About NZ$1250 to the door. It was cheaper than buying just the shocks in NZ. The exchange rate is even better now, too.

wow thats a brilliant price!

That is indeed a good price! It was going to be a fair bit more through Pelican Parts for the same thing last time I checked.

Only annoying bit is possibly getting 15% added on at customs <_<

turners will happily state that the value of the shocks & springs are under $400 so you don't get his with the import tax too.

turners will happily state that the value of the shocks & springs are under $400 so you don't get his with the import tax too.

Just be aware that if this is the case the package is only insured to that value, so if something happens in transit youre out a fair bit of cash.

sounds like an awesome option but then again its nearly 1200 bux and i only need fronts...best price i found was 350 for front inserts and then add springs ontop around 300 = 650 all up

cant go spending more coz i have to replace hanger bearing on prop shaft and two new rear tyres plus alignment which is out so mmm

where can i just get the normal kyb or munroe for less than 350? one of you got sum second hand springs lying around ?

Do yourself a favour and save a little more for the shock/spring package you want ... not the cheaper way out. Seriously youll thank yourself for it and it will transofrm your car.

Have a look at doing the bushes as well while you're at it. Totally worth it.

Do yourself a favour and save a little more for the shock/spring package you want ... not the cheaper way out. Seriously youll thank yourself for it and it will transofrm your car.

Have a look at doing the bushes as well while you're at it. Totally worth it.

good advise thanks guys

in case anyone interested, the E34 ones are just under $700US, even sharper. im not quite sure why im not pressing buynow

in case anyone interested, the E34 ones are just under $700US, even sharper. im not quite sure why im not pressing buynow

damn thats cheap!

ill probably get brand new bilsteins

i know th recommended spring is the h & r but would kings do a similar job?..jamex will sag im told and the others havnt been around long enough to trust

wheres the cheapest place to get h & r's?? reason im asking is i got two quotes for bilsteins and there was nearly 100 bux difference for same product

thanks heaps works out 428nzd shipped to my door so that is cheaper by another 100bux cheers bro

now on the hunt for some good springs

whats everyones views on how low to go? i have 17s with 40 profile tyres alpinas on a black motorsport

been thinking 60mm front 40mm rear?

cheers

get the H&Rs from the same site as Mark (1rotty) suggested. they are pretty much the best you can buy short of coilovers. i had that setup on my M52 E30

get the H&Rs from the same site as Mark (1rotty) suggested. they are pretty much the best you can buy short of coilovers. i had that setup on my M52 E30

i just had a look at the h & r race?

how do these sit or how will they sit on an m325i?

says the lowering is only 1.6 inches approx 40mm?

i just had a look at the h & r race?

how do these sit or how will they sit on an m325i?

says the lowering is only 1.6 inches approx 40mm?

i dont have any side on photos of my black car, but this photo shows it next to my M318i daily i had at the time (factory special, is basically a m325i with an M40 engine if your interested. one of 7)

H&R + billy sports in the black car, stock ///M shocks and springs in the silver one. the black car is also on 55 profile tyres rather the 45s that an E30 should typically be on with 16" rims, so take the black cars height and drop it another 10mm or so in your mind.

youll have to click the link because they are too big for bimmersport page.

http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/et...nt=HPIM0415.jpg

http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/et...nt=HPIM0409.jpg

If i remember rightly they drop the front 60mm and the back 40mm. but thats from the stock E30 height. Motorsport suspension is already about 20mm or so lower than stock all round

If i remember rightly they drop the front 60mm and the back 40mm. but thats from the stock E30 height. Motorsport suspension is already about 20mm or so lower than stock all round

yea i heard the same thing the m sport being already lower than the standard e30

ill probably go with just front shocks for the time being and h & rs all round comes to 940nzd so viable id say but yea gotta sell the basket weaves haha

yea i heard the same thing the m sport being already lower than the standard e30

ill probably go with just front shocks for the time being and h & rs all round comes to 940nzd so viable id say but yea gotta sell the basket weaves haha

by the way heard about rebuilding? worth doing? how much?

For the front springs on my e30 i cut the original spring perch off and welded threaded sleeves onto the strut, so as to create a coilover mounting setup.

Can take some pics if you want?

The advantages of this are any ride height you require within reason.

Get an engineering shop to do it and itd cost you no more than 200 for both struts, springs were 80 ea. So 360max for a full front coilover.

Edit: there is no way to coilover the rear without modification and extensive strengthening.

Also if you have an m325 they have bilsteins standard, have you considered rebuilding? Would be even cheaper than importing.

Edited by André3000

For the front springs on my e30 i cut the original spring perch off and welded threaded sleeves onto the strut, so as to create a coilover mounting setup.

Can take some pics if you want?

The advantages of this are any ride height you require within reason.

Get an engineering shop to do it and itd cost you no more than 200 for both struts, springs were 80 ea. So 360max for a full front coilover.

Edit: there is no way to coilover the rear without modification and extensive strengthening.

Also if you have an m325 they have bilsteins standard, have you considered rebuilding? Would be even cheaper than importing.

sounds like some good ideas id be inclined to go with h & r springs but the rebuilding ?how much ?estimate? shocks are pretty gone but have heard they rebuild them to within 10 %performance of brand new