Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

HELLBM M3/M5 Project

Hell, i don't muck around in my V12 and i still get better than that on a run! would have thought yours being a more advanced motor albeit more powerfull it would be better than that!

15l/100k is great in my books (13l/100k for my S54 M3) when I get in and drive the last thing I am concerned with is how much is it going to cost. F--k driving like a nana.
  • Like 1

A couple of black k&n apollos with air tubes running down to radiator intake grill ?

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Looked into this option. We are going to fabtricate something similar.

15l/100k is great in my books (13l/100k for my S54 M3) when I get in and drive the last thing I am concerned with is how much is it going to cost. F--k driving like a nana.

thats the story! yep id be happy with 15L too.

Looked into this option. We are going to fabtricate something similar.

soft ducting looks tacky in my opinion.

especially in a engine bay that looks like bmw made it that way.

I would say get factory looking plastic/alloy/CF piping down to cold air boxs where the factory m5 boxes would sit.

From there duct from down low but keep the soft ducting/ filters hidden.

This one retains original bottom half of factory m5 airboxes, but easy enough to make something else work.

I just like that the pipes are joined, makes it look more german to be honest

Posted Image

soft ducting looks tacky in my opinion.

especially in a engine bay that looks like bmw made it that way.

I would say get factory looking plastic/alloy/CF piping down to cold air boxs where the factory m5 boxes would sit.

From there duct from down low but keep the soft ducting/ filters hidden.

This one retains original bottom half of factory m5 airboxes, but easy enough to make something else work.

I just like that the pipes are joined, makes it look more german to be honest

Posted Image

Good call jason. Looked at this AFE one in pic unfortunately measurements of the M5 one doesn`t work in the more confined M3 Engine bay.

I need to find some plastic/alloy/CF piping. Any ideas?

when I get in and drive the last thing I am concerned with is how much is it going to cost. F--k driving like a nana.

Word.

Good call jason. Looked at this AFE one in pic unfortunately measurements of the M5 one doesn`t work in the more confined M3 Engine bay.

I need to find some plastic/alloy/CF piping. Any ideas?

depending on the material its made of could you shorten it where the AFM joins on?

dinan make an m5 kit but again would likely need to be modified for the e46

looks mint though

Posted Image

Results from Stage 1 Tune:

post-1470-1362295414.jpg

post-1470-1362295429.jpg

post-1470-1362295440.jpg

Some more refinements needed before Stage 2.

Interesting,

Would those figures be right if the engine makes 400hp as standard, or should there be a bit more out of it hence the need for a 2nd tune?

316.5 hp at the wheels would indicate a 21% drive terain loss if it's 400 at the flywheel.

Heat is the problem at the moment. Getting the filters and some outside air away from the headers and also heat on the MAFs which has air flow temp.

Interesting,

Would those figures be right if the engine makes 400hp as standard, or should there be a bit more out of it hence the need for a 2nd tune?

316.5 hp at the wheels would indicate a 21% drive terain loss if it's 400 at the flywheel.

It`s about factory now. Good to see where we need to improve as Josh pointed out MAF + heat is troubling the DME`s calculations.

Worth noting that it is the 250 to 300 kg weight advantage over a stock E39 M5.

String wheel alignment done by Kayne Barry yesterday. Great result.

Today Josh (Hybrid) tidied up the E Box wiring;

Big thanks Guys.

More excuses to test drive.

Treated HELLM3 to a M3-rear-chassissubframe-reinforcement-ki as a repair for the first hairline crack that had appeared.

Many thanks to Sam aka Hellboy for the job well done. Now it can be pushed to its limits like what it was born to do.

For all E46 owners out there Hellbm offers this service with our replicated/upgraded kit including install.

post-1470-1364364915.jpg

post-1470-1364364927.jpg

post-1470-1364364937.jpg

Hi Ray, would you do this repair/upgrade on an E36?

Highly recommend. Certainly will sort out any potential problems. If you need this done call for a quote.

Regards Ray

It`s about factory now. Good to see where we need to improve as Josh pointed out MAF + heat is troubling the DME`s calculations.

Worth noting that it is the 250 to 300 kg weight advantage over a stock E39 M5.

With those figures perhaps you are using the m3 coupe or sedan weight? the vert weighs over 150kg more than the other m3's. I wouldave loved to see this go into the much lighter coupe or sedan.

Edited by westy

Just can't believe I entirely missed this thread...

Any current video's Ray?

When is the M57TUD30 > M3 conversion going to be happening ha?

Work to start soon on another E46 M3 `carbon black` S62 repower. Donor car is a Imola Red M5 that decided to check out a drain.

On another note I`ve added another S62 to the collection as a spare for `just in case`.

post-1470-1369376898.jpg

Work to start soon on another E46 M3 `carbon black` S62 repower. Donor car is a Imola Red M5 that decided to check out a drain.

On another note I`ve added another S62 to the collection as a spare for `just in case`.

post-1470-1369376898.jpg

Ray, make as many as you can... They are particularly awesome!

+1 on seeing another V8 M3

With having your mits on that many S62's you could have invested in a custom rear sump (per Alpina) so you wouldn't have to swap the whole sub-frame and suspension over.

Or better yet, build an M3 replica touring E46 with the V8 S62, fit a E92 rear muffler and system by deleting the tyre well so you end up with space like the E36 M Coupe.

Perfection!

Picked up 8M3 today from a tune with Gavin&Ross at BM Workshop/Hi-Velocity. Very impressive results:

238.5kw in 4th gear @ 178kph Pulled all the way to 7000 rpm. Got a gain of 13kw from the previous run.

post-1470-0-14933600-1383809637.jpg

post-1470-0-84119800-1383809637.jpg

Edited by HELLBM
  • Like 1