Sign in to follow this  
RvT

$75 Telstra vs Xtra

Well when we saw the $75 deal, it was attractive as Telecom was costing us $115 for a similar offer, so I made the change.

2 weeks later I am wondering if it was a good move as the www just got a lot slower; almost like the good old dial up days where you have to wait for pages to load.

We didn't change anything internally and even used our 1 year old Thomson Wireless Modem that Telecom gave us, just changed the password.

My download speed is 5.71 Mbps and upload is .72 Mbps ... Is this deemed normal or is our exchange in Rangiora screwed (I live near the town centre) ???

Anyone else made the change and noticed a drop off in speed or is it just my exchange?

auckland to auckland download: 12.93mb upload: 0.85mb

when downloading i can sustain 1.5mb/s

LA down: 5.04mb/s upload: 0.75mb/s

Edited by Docile

mines sh*t too. I use an Apple wireless router and an iMac which are both rated to communicate using 300mps which is ethernet speed. 4.24 down 1.74 up. actually putting in a harwire does not change it. Telstra too, i think they are just slow.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Xtra in Wellington

11.9m Download .7m upload local

6.4m Download .57 upload international

Had up to 16mb/s on Telstra in Howick, Auckland. ADSL2.

Now that I have moved to the Flash as North Shore I get awesome ADSL1 and 6mb/s.

Is your sync rate slower than it was before you changed.

NO = if your throughput is slower this is likely due to a crappy contention ratio on the new ISP ... solution change ISP.

YES = then you have probably been moved off a cabinet and onto LLU equipment based at the exch ... solution bitch and moan for them to move you back onto the wholesale network so you feed from the cabinet.

I recently switched from Telecom because the savings were a bit too good to ignore, and combined our MySky with it, total saving of around $40 per month, but went from 20gb to 60gb. I've noticed no loss in speeds. If you're using the crappy Vodafone/Telescum wireless routers this could be the prob, I get 1mbit more for some reason on my U.S Robotics router. It was bloody expensive but very high quality.

I was looking at switching to Telstra too!

4.79 and 0.73 with Xtra, though am assuming my 2 year old 1gb ram laptop may have something to do with that also!

^ well i still use my old compaq laptop which i bought in 05. only has 768mb ram and downlaods as fast as my desktop

Rate limiting and back haul vs your provider. Different for every exchange based on demand and uptake in your area. Also a low rent provider, while they might seem like a nice cheap option, don’t necessarily have the funds to replace there cabinet equipment for more capacity instead end up winding up contention rates.

speedtest.net or any of the other tests are only good for confirming your line speed because ISP's have learn't to allow you and everyone else non rate limited traffic. Other protocols/ports are shaped.

Fibre to the home will fix all.

Call up Telstra and get them to check how fast your line can go and there is a couple of other things they can check but I don't want to go into too much detail otherwise ISP's would get bombard with calls all the time.

If you were still with Telecom I could have checked it all out for you.

Posted Image

Telecom Netgear router. 120GB + Phone for $110.

That's quite good going, and it must be a new plan as two months ago I was forced to shift my 3 business phone lines and internets to Vodafone because the biggest plan they had at the time was 60GB - I now have 200GB for 150+gst plus phone lines, which still worked out cheaper than Telecom and get 140GB per month more (at the time)

As per the router, I'm getting 20megabit down @ work and 1megabit up.

Home, is a different story ffs, 4mbps!

At home I shifted to Vodafone for phone, internet, MySky and saved $40 per month and went from 20GB to 60GB - I also have another account at our other place with another 60GB, my phone also has 3GB - does anyone here realize how hard it is to get rid of 323GB per month?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Even 120gb is a bit of a struggle to use up.

Telecom doubled up all their data starting last month

Even 120gb is a bit of a struggle to use up.

Telecom doubled up all their data starting last month

They needed to, they were that far behind (and still are mind you) that I had to change, I was getting bills for 50-100 per month extra usage.

Call up Telstra and get them to check how fast your line can go and there is a couple of other things they can check but I don't want to go into too much detail otherwise ISP's would get bombard with calls all the time.

If you were still with Telecom I could have checked it all out for you.

Thanks Gareth for the offer. I did talk to Telecom before switching as we had been with them for 20 years but they couldn't come up with an offer that even came close.

I will follow up with a phone call to Telstra and update the thread accordingly.

One decision I made was to take out a domain name in my family name as long term it will save me the grief of switching email address to friends and all those web sites that need it. At $20 a year, it seems value for money. I think it is a bit like personalized plates ... get in now before someone else gets your domain name. I used Domains4less website and it was very painless.

They needed to, they were that far behind (and still are mind you) that I had to change, I was getting bills for 50-100 per month extra usage.

i got my internet at a flat rate $80 bucks a month - 250gb + business phone line.

I was looking at switching to Telstra too!

4.79 and 0.73 with Xtra, though am assuming my 2 year old 1gb ram laptop may have something to do with that also!

Won't be your laptop , I get 11/.7 on my netbook over wireless. Netbooks speed wise are similar to 2006 laptops.

Fair Go are doing a thing on TCs shite customer service tonight. Might change after Vodafone buy them out next week. A lot of unhappy customers out there.

Well when we saw the $75 deal, it was attractive as Telecom was costing us $115 for a similar offer, so I made the change.

Has anyone else noticed... Telstras $75 deal is for one year, then standard pricing applies... whatever that is.

I have a wireless radio conection, and pay $50 a month for 5 gigs, and have a cellular vodafone home phone for $25, Not the cheapest, but my house isn't even connected to the outside world (not with wires anyway!). I only pay for the slowest connection speed, which is 3mbps, but I get just over that on download, 3.11 and upload is 2.79.

Geez - I've had the interwebnetz for about 15 years now! I can remember downloading "the Matrix" on dial up! Took about 3 weeks of leaving it on overnight with "getright" :wacko: 'specially since it was pay by the hour back then - I was Ihug customer 62, when they brought out unlimited dialup for $59.99 if I recall correctly

I find its easier to buy a bunch of DVDs at once from Amazon.co.uk nowadays, rather than downloading movies with crap sound or nasty compression.

Worth noting that half the time its shitty house wiring thats the problem, or at least i have found for mine and a few others it has been anyway.

My house is a good example of this:

i have 2x ADSL connections

1 modem is attached directly to the service lead that runs into the house from the street.

2 modem is attached to house wiring which then connects to the service lead (this is using a splitter not filters)

1 12m down

2 6.5m down

i know that its not an issue on the street because i've had both modems at the service lead to test and they both sync at the same rate.

Worth noting that half the time its shitty house wiring thats the problem, or at least i have found for mine and a few others it has been anyway.

that's why I love living in wgtn and been able to get telstra cable, no rubbish old copper line to slow down my internet

We did 700GB Here last month................. :roll: