Sign in to follow this  
Shady

WTF did I do to my horn?

When I put my new ignition in yesterday, after reassembling it all, the horn button doesnt work (a/m wheel & button) but if I push the actual wheel the horn goes. WTF? Im sure I wired it all up properly, can someone maybe take their wheel off & show a photo so I can double check I done it right? Im pretty sure I did, not rocket science.

I took my wheel off and checked.... no you didn't do it right

Nice to know. Thats why I said "show me a photo" so I can check. Or would you like me to put a photo up of mine?

The wire you plugged into one terminal on the horn button... goes on the other one.

Or would you like me to put a photo up of mine?

You show me yours first and I might show you mine

You need to weld your rear doors shut.

I actually lol'ed.

Nevermind people.

Seems a serious Question always ends up being a joke.

Honestly dont even know why I still use this board, with such a bunch of jokers on it. Some of you seriously need to grow up & get a life.

Why don't you leave it how it is? Thats a pretty sick mod, even if it was by accident.

are you sure your steering wheel is not just a massive horn button.

Is only one wire you must have messed up. Are you using he factory e30 wheel?

the horn runs backwards as a circuit

the horn has power all the time and the button ground the circuit

if it goes when you press on the steering wheel itself theres a good chance you have pinched a wire in there somewhere

You sort of left yourself open for these responses Malcolm.

Just retrace your steps. It is a simple circuit - a return wire up through the slip ring into a switch/button to earth.

By the time someone takes the trouble to remove a steering wheel, photograph the circiut, reassemble, & upload the picture - you could have fixed it several times

if it goes when you press on the steering wheel itself theres a good chance you have pinched a wire in there somewhere

This.

Reminds me - I really must fix the horn in the race car as it does this, usually a sign I am working the wheel too hard as I am getting out of shape - a useful warning to the rest of the drivers that I'm about to spin :unsure: ?

And now the helpful guys come out. Will have another look, havent had time this week to do anything (working nightshift then getting up 3hrs later to take kids to school). Will have a go this weekend. Cheers for the tips guys. At least there is some people on here that are serious.

And the comment about a mean mod, yeah it could be but if a ever so slightly lean on it, it goes off. So kind of annoying lol

And I didnt just take the wheel off, I changed the ignition, but I did do the reverse and put it all back as it came off which is why I was lost.

And it is an a/m wheel & horn button - proper E30 a/m bosskit. I've had this on for about 3 years now. I've taken the wheel off heaps to try different wheels here & there and never had this problem before.

Edited by Shady

Could also be the wire on the boss kit earthing itself against the column or something. Happened to me and was easy fix.

Failing that, check your dizzy cap and that noone has pissed in your fuel tank.