Sign in to follow this  
Spudooli

What is this thing on my E39 540i?

Can someone please tell me exactly what this thing is called?

Its rubber mounts are broken and I don't want to look like an idiot at Jerry Clayton's trying to describe it. Much prefer to look an idiot here...

Posted Image

Thanks

Guest Ari Gold

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

As someone who used to work at a dealership, your question wouldn't even rate in the top one hundred stupid questions.

As someone who used to work at a dealership, your question wouldn't even rate in the top one hundred stupid questions.

Care to elaborate on some of the more interesting ones for our enjoyment?

Care to elaborate on some of the more interesting ones for our enjoyment?

I'll second that. :ph34r:

Just as well the arrow head wasn't on the other end - pointing at the dipstick <_<

Now that would be stupid...

Just as well the arrow head wasn't on the other end - pointing at the dipstick <_<

Now that would be stupid...

So whats a dipstick again? Haha jokes.... but really what is it?

***Sarcasm***

Edited by andy_e39

that must be a common question, apparently all late model BMWs don't have any dipsticks except maybe thier owners

that must be a common question, apparently all late model BMWs don't have any dipsticks except maybe thier owners

Yeah, they changed to lifetime fill a few years back.....

I think BMW's "lifetime" means the period of ownership of the first buyer

No no stupid. They don't have a engine oil dipstick because the cars computer tells them how much oil it has on the OBC. So it has an electronic dipstick, my last few cars have had this, when I start them up it comes up with a image like the service indicator bar on an older BMW and showed oil levels. Quite handy.

No no stupid. They don't have a engine oil dipstick because the cars computer tells them how much oil it has on the OBC. So it has an electronic dipstick, my last few cars have had this, when I start them up it comes up with a image like the service indicator bar on an older BMW and showed oil levels. Quite handy.

:lol: Probably only on the import ones though...

... yeah right.

I recon. Was thinking just the other day I wished my car had a manual choke and removable crank handle to start it too, would be awesome and give me way less to worry about, life is too stressful as it is, and then I was like f**k it I'm just going to ride my bike, and then tough what if I get a flat tyre so just walked.

Well considering most of the E46 oil level sensors are/have been buggered at some stage....

Also, dont wear your shoes out!

Reckon. So I went barefoot and wore my feet out. Life is stressful.

The system works fine on my POS, uses the same system on the brake fluid, that can bee annoying if you corner hard enough the fluid goes to one side and the sensor signals a brake warning ^_^

I recon. Was thinking just the other day I wished my car had a manual choke and removable crank handle to start it too, would be awesome and give me way less to worry about, life is too stressful as it is, and then I was like f**k it I'm just going to ride my bike, and then tough what if I get a flat tyre so just walked.

Agreed - I just roll a huge bolder in front of my door each day when I got to work. Takes a while but at least I know my key won't jam in the door and I'll be locked out.

Sometimes I just think I should get a stegosaurus to guard my door but then I'd have to look after it. Perhaps technology is easier... :-p

BMW is going back to dipsticks, obvious reason.

well played sir, i LOLd IRL yo

Reckon. So I went barefoot and wore my feet out. Life is stressful.

Sif you even left the house.

BMW is going back to dipsticks, obvious reason.

Haaahahaha.

Used to?