Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceCT

E46 Stage 1 Mods

Hi

I can imagine this has been asked before but I have finally got my hands on the BMW i have been after E46 330i. This is a decent machine and goes really well. I having been doing a bit of reading and found that there is 4 stage 1 performance Mods (this is what i assume) namely:

1. Performance Exhaust

2. Cold Air Intake

3. Software upgrade

4. Under drive Pulley

Is this correct? and also i am based in Auckland, is there a good place to consider getting any of this done? and maybe a pricing from anyone that had some of this done.

any assistance would be awesome

Thanks

Best mod you can do is a manual conversion if it is not already.

Performance wise you will not gain anything worth while with exhaust and intake.

Bang for your buck would be a ECU re tune.

Because it is an older car, my money would be spent on making sure everything is like new, some new shock absorbers would make a good difference, Bilstien's are fantastic.

As for "stage" level tuning, that is nothing more than marketing and packaging to make it easy for you to understand and easy for them to take your money and have them try and convince you to come back for the "next level"

Best mod you can do is a manual conversion if it is not already.

Performance wise you will not gain anything worth while with exhaust and intake.

Bang for your buck would be a ECU re tune.

Because it is an older car, my money would be spent on making sure everything is like new, some new shock absorbers would make a good difference, Bilstien's are fantastic.

As for "stage" level tuning, that is nothing more than marketing and packaging to make it easy for you to understand and easy for them to take your money and have them try and convince you to come back for the "next level"

Hi

Thanks for that, i have got a price on a ECU tune. I had thought that air in take and exhaust would atleast give you moderate gains? or was i just wrong

Hi

Thanks for that, i have got a price on a ECU tune. I had thought that air in take and exhaust would atleast give you moderate gains? or was i just wrong

Hey Lawrence,

Adding to what Apex said, the only thing on your list that you'd benefit from doing in a particular order is the chip.

The car will need to be retuned to get the most out of a performance chip - If you are 100% sure you'll be modifying the intake/exhaust/etc in the short term it may be worth saving the chip until last to save yourself doubling-up on the tune...!

Christian

Basically BMW spend a lot of time and money getting the intake sorted on their cars, they are designed to be as efficient as possible, you will not improve anything by fitting a something aftermarket that costs a couple of hundred dollars.

In terms of exhaust you are restricted to the amount the catalytic converter can flow so unless you fit extractors, ditch the catalytic converter and run a full system and then have it tuned you will not gain anything but noise.

So basically you could spend 2.5k on an exhaust system, say $500 on an intake, and gain 10bhp and loose a small amount of low down power whilst generating a crap load of noise or you could spend say $1,000 on a remap and gain upto 20bhp, a better power delivery and possibly better fuel economy and not have the car making embarrassing noise that no one will enjoy except for you.

As said a manual conversion is the best mod you can do if your car is automatic... or just buy a BMW M3 and leave it stock and enjoy as it is a proper fast car designed to be fast.

There is a local BMW tuner who can help you with the tuning, have a look here: http://www.hivelocity.co.nz/

I'd venture to say there'd something to be had in the headers. They are cat in manifold design. Find out if it has post cat sensors. Then tune at Gavins (hivelocity).

Nothing but noise in the intake as said.

Manual conversion is the ticket with lightened flywheel.

If its a Jap car with the two into one system with mid mount cats there are some good [feelable] gains freeing up exhaust post cats. Costs around $350. The real problem starts with the very average small port exhaust manifolds.

If its a Jap car with the two into one system with mid mount cats there are some good [feelable] gains freeing up exhaust post cats. Costs around $350. The real problem starts with the very average small port exhaust manifolds.

Hi yes it is a Jap import. (sorry to sound silly) but most of what you said above is above my understanding of cars, i have always liked fast cars but never understood truly what is happening below

Basically BMW spend a lot of time and money getting the intake sorted on their cars, they are designed to be as efficient as possible, you will not improve anything by fitting a something aftermarket that costs a couple of hundred dollars.

In terms of exhaust you are restricted to the amount the catalytic converter can flow so unless you fit extractors, ditch the catalytic converter and run a full system and then have it tuned you will not gain anything but noise.

So basically you could spend 2.5k on an exhaust system, say $500 on an intake, and gain 10bhp and loose a small amount of low down power whilst generating a crap load of noise or you could spend say $1,000 on a remap and gain upto 20bhp, a better power delivery and possibly better fuel economy and not have the car making embarrassing noise that no one will enjoy except for you.

As said a manual conversion is the best mod you can do if your car is automatic... or just buy a BMW M3 and leave it stock and enjoy as it is a proper fast car designed to be fast.

There is a local BMW tuner who can help you with the tuning, have a look here: http://www.hivelocity.co.nz/

Thanks for that, seems to be the same info from most places that Dollar for power would be to do a remap and leave most things standard unless i am looking to go full tilt

Don't bother with a manual conversion, get a shift kit for your ZF 5 speed trans.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/cata...t-kit-1890.html

I sent over my Toyota gearbox valve body for them to modify, a massive different in performance, the changes are instant and firm, as quick as anyone could shift a manual - probably faster!

To compensate for the extra heat, I fitted a large trans fluid cooler.

But you would still have an Automatic :blink:

Making something that sucks do something that sucks faster doesn't make it better, it just makes it faster at sucking.

Making something that sucks do something that sucks faster doesn't make it better, it just makes it faster at sucking.

^^ got a lol from me!

Confused yet, Lawrence?

But you would still have an Automatic :blink:

Each to their own.

I like modified automatics.

Each to their own.

I like modified automatics.

i am happy with the auto, i feel i might be overspending if i go manual, i would maybe need to look at a different car.

will just get a few basic improvements, not looking for race car

not too sure why you would feel the need to spend money on a 330 while not wanting a "race car"...

330 is still a great car, goes pretty well for what it is even if its not a manual..

i am happy with the auto, i feel i might be overspending if i go manual, i would maybe need to look at a different car.

will just get a few basic improvements, not looking for race car

In that case, I wouldn't bother doing anything with it.

In that case, I wouldn't bother doing anything with it.

Case a little personal touches would be nice. but i do know that after a few months with some spare cash i will be itching to do something

Case a little personal touches would be nice. but i do know that after a few months with some spare cash i will be itching to do something

Fair enough, some people like to fiddle with their toys.

Have you thought about some cosmetic upgrades? There are some great options for the E46.

Could also look at a basic K&N pod of a muffler if yo want a bit more noise for little money.

Can I rephrase? :P

In that case, I wouldn't bother doing anything to the engine.

Spend your money on some suspension/wheels etc. Possibly a shorter diff ratio if there is one?

+1 on the remap, I have had many cars remapped over the years...mainly turbo & diesel vehicles and was never convinced it would make any difference in a naturally aspirated engine...Well by god was i wrong.

I have had my daily (E39 523i) tuned and what a difference, The flat spot is gone. It pulls hard to the red line.

And if driven normally I get around 150-180 more KM per tank.

I had mine done by Peter @ Superchips. Pretty reasonable $$ wise as well.

Thanks, my biggest problem now is to pick the right place to go to, everyone has mentioned different places for a remap. so will have a look and see what i can find out

Thanks, my biggest problem now is to pick the right place to go to, everyone has mentioned different places for a remap. so will have a look and see what i can find out

Your location is not in your profile

Peter from Superchips comes to you....Mention Sam from Next Car ltd. and he will look after you $$ wise.

He ends up remapping 70% of the Euro Cars i sell.... 0272 757 574

Great i will make a call and see what he says, thanks