Sign in to follow this  
mjh

F10 M5

Hi all,

I'm looking to maybe get into the F10 M5 and have been less than impressed with the discounts from the local dealer, so am going to look at an import.

This one has been on TM for ages and I was wondering if anyone had any info about the car or seller?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-514623782.htm

I'm planning to look at it Tuesday next week.

Thanks,

Check out how that warranty actually works and I'd also figure out how much each service is going to cost you because they won't be covered. I think the warranty comes out of your pocket, and then you apply to BMW Germany for reimbursement. I may be completely wrong about that, but getting the detail on how it works is important. BMW NZ won't help you at all - I know that for sure.

You are saving a heap on NZ RRP, so you should have enough buffer!

Hi all,

I'm looking to maybe get into the F10 M5 and have been less than impressed with the discounts from the local dealer, so am going to look at an import.

This one has been on TM for ages and I was wondering if anyone had any info about the car or seller?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-514623782.htm

I'm planning to look at it Tuesday next week.

Thanks,

Check out how that warranty actually works and I'd also figure out how much each service is going to cost you because they won't be covered. I think the warranty comes out of your pocket, and then you apply to BMW Germany for reimbursement. I may be completely wrong about that, but getting the detail on how it works is important. BMW NZ won't help you at all - I know that for sure.

As its been for sale for a very long time I was going to make a cheeky low offer. The seller has trouble with the written English language from his emails.

I'm aware of the warranty issues, but I'll only keep it for 12-18 months so not that worried. The plan

is to trade my 2011 NZ New 535D Motorsport. The benefit for the dealer is he should find that easier to sell. I was thinking the M5 in that colour combo is worth about 140-150 in real money.

The benefit for the dealer is he should find that easier to sell. I was thinking the M5 in that colour combo is worth about 140-150 in real money.

If you owned it for that price I think you couldn't go wrong, but be weary of the dealer, I've enquired about cars of his before and he's not easy to deal with, also he had on his auctions some time back that he was closing down. There was just something that wasn't right about him.

That car has been for sale for a long time, if not 8-10 months. Given it's listed at only 60k cheaper which isn't much if you take into account it's more than a year old, an import and comes with complicated warranty issues and no servicing arrangement's, a random dealer with no formal yard HERE this is probably putting most buyers off.

Have you considered NZ New 2nd hand cars i.e Something like this?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

If you owned it for that price I think you couldn't go wrong, but be weary of the dealer, I've enquired about cars of his before and he's not easy to deal with, also he had on his auctions some time back that he was closing down. There was just something that wasn't right about him.

That car has been for sale for a long time, if not 8-10 months. Given it's listed at only 60k cheaper which isn't much if you take into account it's more than a year old, an import and comes with complicated warranty issues and no servicing arrangement's, a random dealer with no formal yard HERE this is probably putting most buyers off.

Have you considered NZ New 2nd hand cars i.e Something like this?

I am with this.I am sure you will get a bit of that price ,jeff gray is good to deal with in my experience ,you will be close to the blue on price with a whole lot more support.Cant comment on what it would cost to bring your own in.

On the money, you may as well not have warrenty at all as all parties will make it extremely difficult.

There is a car company (can't think what their name is) that imports BMWs with only delivery miles that puts their own warrenty on the vehicles bypassing all BMW AG warrenty.

Edited by Greg.

Of course you are saving on NZ RRP, because you're not buying the same thing. This is a couple of year old used import, not a 2012 new car!

On that note it may be worth comparing the spec on this used car against an NZ new, some big ticket items come standard on the NZ new that are not on all imports. Not sure from the photo, but this does look to have the lower-spec leather (and in a horrible colour to boot).

You won't be able to get a dealer to match the price of this car, but with a generous trade on your 535d and some discount you should get close enough.

Failing that - the ex-demo NZ new vehicles are a very good bet.

It makes me laugh how people have come to expect discount off retail pricing when buying new cars...

You dont go into the supermarket and try to bargain!

It makes me laugh how people have come to expect discount off retail pricing when buying new cars...

Thats because margins are on average 5% (i used to be a department manager at a supermarket)

you cant tell me the margin is only 5% at your local BMW dealer.....

why shouldnt you ask? those cars have good margins in them.

and a new car is a bit different to your weekly shop..

although you should be asking cause if you spend 200 a week then thats 10,400 a year that your pumping into the supermarket. im sure you could always take that business elsewhere.

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies.

That dealer does look interesting! I think you are right that the car has been for sale for most of 2012 as well.

I did call about the black one at Jeff Gray's in Wellington but the DP said it sold 2 weeks ago. They said the only option was a brand new one and they wanted a big changeover (in my opinion).

I've looked at bringing one in myself and you can get a brand new demo landed for about 130 if VAT qualifying. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...g?logcode=ucnnp

A non VAT one will be the same money but a 2011 with about 10Km on the clock.

The blue car does have an interesting spec, with different seats but if its cheap enough it could be fun for 12 months.

The engine issue on the 2012 build cars sounds interesting! I know BMW NZ just had a black one land that JG Wgtn tried to sell me so I guess that is getting work done on it.

Will report back after seeing the blue one this week.

Cheers,

Edited by mjh

They wouldn't bother having sales people on the lots if there was no room to manoeuvre on price. You'd just buy it online and get it delivered to your door in your favourite colour combo!

They wouldn't bother having sales people on the lots if there was no room to manoeuvre on price.

Oh, so that's the reason that there are sales people in dealerships then. Silly me, I thought it was to work with customers to help them get the right vehicle for their needs and explain the pros and cons of each model and option. Not to mention explain the technolgy involved and what it does in real life.

You'd just buy it online and get it delivered to your door in your favourite colour combo!

Thankfully cars are not simple consumer commodities. If you seriously think that all the options, combinations and rules for ordering a new BMW could be handled by a simple web-portal then you are a mile off. I would estimate at least 95% of people would not end up getting what they wanted when it was delivered, and that would be down to ordering it incorrectly. So who would they then turn to to put it right??

Oh, so that's the reason that there are sales people in dealerships then. Silly me, I thought it was to work with customers to help them get the right vehicle for their needs and explain the pros and cons of each model and option. Not to mention explain the technolgy involved and what it does in real life.

Thankfully cars are not simple consumer commodities. If you seriously think that all the options, combinations and rules for ordering a new BMW could be handled by a simple web-portal then you are a mile off. I would estimate at least 95% of people would not end up getting what they wanted when it was delivered, and that would be down to ordering it incorrectly. So who would they then turn to to put it right??

Haha, we get people coming back just after they have bought a new car who need bits explaining to them, sales guys tend to not.

Can someone explain why the M5 are $US 90k and $NZ 230k here ??? Why are we treated as muppets by BMW NZ when the extra cost in shipping is only $2k.

I would be buying one ex UK that is VAT qualifying and use McCullough Shipping to land it here. That way you can choose the colour / combo you want given there are more choices in UK than NZ. However you have a trade to move so that would go against the idea ...

Can someone explain why the M5 are $US 90k and $NZ 230k here ??? Why are we treated as muppets by BMW NZ when the extra cost in shipping is only $2k.

I would be buying one ex UK that is VAT qualifying and use McCullough Shipping to land it here. That way you can choose the colour / combo you want given there are more choices in UK than NZ. However you have a trade to move so that would go against the idea ...

Because New Zealand is much smaller market than the U.S., and they have to increase the overheads per vehicle to accommodate for the much smaller demand. You also have to realise the difference in buying power between the 2 economies.

OK - The dealer emailed me at 1am this morning to say that the blue car sold a long time ago, and he has subsequentley sold 2 more. He wants me to go in and discuss ordering one through him. I have politely declined...

It is hard to trust a dealer that says one thing one day, then back tracks the next. Back to the drawing board and maybe importing one myself.

I understand that NZ is a small market and prices are higher but to the degree they are sorry it's not on. In the last 8 years odd I have purchased a lot of parts for BMW's and given the local dealers the chance to quote on these parts but have not yet, sorry an oil filter found any of their prices to be able to match those of the company's I deal with that includes either genuine or OEM parts plus including the freight charges. Most people these days are looking for valve for their hard earned dollar and if an item can be had for cheeper at the same quality why not I believe it's called competition or is that being smart in spending your dollar. It will no doubt be an on going problem but people general find a way around those sorts of issues wonder if BMW is aware of how much they are loosing in parts sale also with 15% being added for Grab Steel and Take only compounds the problem. If one can afford it I believe the best way to go is to bring a vehicle into NZ your self as long as you do your research on it etc. As mentioned these can be had for thousands of dollars cheeper than in NZ and with better spec levels if available at all in this country.

I understand that NZ is a small market and prices are higher but to the degree they are sorry it's not on. In the last 8 years odd I have purchased a lot of parts for BMW's and given the local dealers the chance to quote on these parts but have not yet, sorry an oil filter found any of their prices to be able to match those of the company's I deal with that includes either genuine or OEM parts plus including the freight charges. Most people these days are looking for valve for their hard earned dollar and if an item can be had for cheeper at the same quality why not I believe it's called competition or is that being smart in spending your dollar. It will no doubt be an on going problem but people general find a way around those sorts of issues wonder if BMW is aware of how much they are loosing in parts sale also with 15% being added for Grab Steel and Take only compounds the problem. If one can afford it I believe the best way to go is to bring a vehicle into NZ your self as long as you do your research on it etc. As mentioned these can be had for thousands of dollars cheeper than in NZ and with better spec levels if available at all in this country.

Fair enough. What about importing a new M5 from BMW in Germany itself? As in from the factory? Can that be done?

We've been over this one before, it bloody sucks! So what we're a smaller market, this doesn't give cause to charge us that much more IMO.

Fair enough. What about importing a new M5 from BMW in Germany itself? As in from the factory? Can that be done?

Yup, if you want a LHD one lol!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Because New Zealand is much smaller market than the U.S., and they have to increase the overheads per vehicle to accommodate for the much smaller demand. You also have to realise the difference in buying power between the 2 economies.

This.

In saying that, you have to feel sorry for the Australians with the luxury car tax on top of a massive price, lucky we have so many imports in NZ to push used car pricing down though so as a second hand buyer you are doing well in our market.

Can someone explain why the M5 are $US 90k and $NZ 230k here ???

Well, where to start? Biggest factor first - exchange rates, prices are locked in at the start of a model life-cycle, these cannot be adjusted every time there is a shift in the NZ v Euro exchange rate. Remember when everything came from Japan due to the Yen, now it's the UK due to the pound being in the poo.

Yes, BMW USA (or whatever they are called) can get a better price from the factory due to their buying 10,000 M5s against BMW NZ buying 100, not a huge factor though.

Specification is another factor, we add a number of high-end options onto the models as standard for NZ over and above most other markets, better to try and sell a high spec vehicle for slightly more than a "poverty pack" of the same car.

Why are we treated as muppets by BMW NZ when the extra cost in shipping is only $2k.

Interesting point, how is this being done? BMW NZ is in the business of selling cars, treating people as muppets won't achieve that aim. Difference in cost of shipping for the volumes of cars BMW move wouldn't be anywhere near your figure, but as above that is not a main factor in the difference.

If you're buying a car ex-UK then you will be limited to the colour / combo / specs that the dealers haven't been able to shift, it won't be the desirable cars that are being sold off. Used demos / approved cars would be limited in number. Buying new in NZ you have access to the full options list and can order the car in exactly the colour, interior and options you want and can choose, not have to take what is available. Personally I prefer to buy exactly what I want rather than buy somthing "close" as it's available slightly cheaper.

As for NZ New cars having lower specifications, you should do a full comparison on some of these cars sometime and see the real story.

Thats because margins are on average 5% (i used to be a department manager at a supermarket)

you cant tell me the margin is only 5% at your local BMW dealer.....

What sort of margin do you think dealers have in new cars??

What sort of margin do you think dealers have in new cars??

approx 8%