Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

Sterling Silver E34 525i

Not many on this forum rack up almost 1,000 posts without ever owning a BMW but somehow I managed. I guess that's testament to my love of these cars, excessive amounts of spare time as a teenager and an embarrassingly small bank account for as long as I can remember.

University is now behind me and because I've moved away from Wellington owning a semi decent car is feasible.

I initially anticipated saving up longer for an e39 but this bad boy came up for what I thought was a ridiculous price so I couldn't help myself. (e34s are better looking anyway right? :P:D ). God I'm glad I live in a country where old BMWs are so cheap.

Anyway enough of my life story. The car is bog standard, and with relatively few options but the ones it has are important to me (wheels and steering wheel mainly). Best of all it came with Potenzas with plenty of life left, albeit relatively old ones. The downside to that is I don't think I can ever go back to running cheap tyres.

Posted Image

Mechanically it's pretty good except for the jatco box that jerks like a m***erf**ker when cold. I do love the sound and smoothness of that straight 6.

The steering is crap at the moment. Lots of play and a nasty shimmy past 90km/h but that's getting sorted on Wednesday hopefully.

Whoever has worked on this car most recently should be shot. EVERY bolt I have touched so far has been way way way over torqued. Most notably the sump plug was smashed to bits when I went to remove it. Bless those clever German engineers who idiot proof them to fail before the thread on the sump does.

Undoing the wheel nuts required world's strongest man levels of bravado. Well that was until the old man showed me the bar extension trick :rolleyes: - probably should have thought of that before slightly rounding the heads on one of the nuts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm too retarted to tell for certain if the rear shocks are shot but I think they might be. You clever lads may be able to tell from the pics, bearing in mind its on standard shocks/springs.

Front end is slammed as ****

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Something I found unusual and potentially worrying is a "diamantschwarz metallic" sticker on the front right strut tower which correct me if I'm wrong is a black colour. Accident/repaint maybe??? On that note I have no engine bay pics because I havent got around to cleaning it up and we've all seen an M50 anyway.

I stretched its legs on a trip down to Wellington this weekend and it cruised flawlessly. The ride, comfy seats and smooth (when warm) box made it a pleasure to drive all day and I wasn't near suicidal at the end of the journey like I would have been driving my old Toyota. Gas mileage was great too at 10.5l/100km with 4 passengers and their gear.

The rear end didn't enjoy the beer run it had to suffer through with 400kg of humans, 15 boxes of beer and 60kg of ice but the underside survived in tact.

Posted Image

Clear front indicators are in the post which should improve the front end look big time along with a new boot roundel

Posted Image

Thanks for your interest and for those that have helped me with info already and will no doubt do in future.

Edited by kingkarl

E34's generally look like they're jacked up in the front, but that's due to the shape of the arches. The car should still sit level on a flat surface.

As for the paint issue, I guess the easiest way to tell if it's had a respray would be pulling off a door card to see what colour it is on the inside of the door. However, if they've gone to the trouble of spraying door jambs / underbonnet etc, then why would they mask around a paint code sticker? Maybe someone has replaced the sticker but just got the colour name wrong.

Looks like a good buy though. Make sure you do cooling system maintenance to if you haven't already. Jatco jerk will probably be terminal, but as long as it's not flaring during changes yet it will probably last a while.

Tidy looking car you have there, only thing is I found the Pics too big on my 1280x768 Laptop screen :)

Pretty much every Jatco box in a E36, E34, E39 I've driven has had the same issue, one I sold 7 years ago still hasn't failed yet.

I like the Colour, clean

E34's generally look like they're jacked up in the front, but that's due to the shape of the arches. The car should still sit level on a flat surface.

As for the paint issue, I guess the easiest way to tell if it's had a respray would be pulling off a door card to see what colour it is on the inside of the door. However, if they've gone to the trouble of spraying door jambs / underbonnet etc, then why would they mask around a paint code sticker? Maybe someone has replaced the sticker but just got the colour name wrong.

Looks like a good buy though. Make sure you do cooling system maintenance to if you haven't already. Jatco jerk will probably be terminal, but as long as it's not flaring during changes yet it will probably last a while.

Thanks Mark. The sticker is definitely a strange one. I need to service the electric windows so will check behind the doorcards then.

As far as cooling maintenance is a coolant flush + replacement thermostat sufficient? I think the thermostat may be on the way out as the temp guage was well below its midpoint on the trip back from Welly. Other than its cold shifting from 1st to 2nd I'm actually very impressed with the auto box. Fingers crossed it does last a while yet.

I've had a look at your e34 showroom thread. Amazing car you have and the meticulous care you take of it is very impressive.

Tidy looking car you have there, only thing is I found the Pics too big on my 1280x768 Laptop screen :)

Pretty much every Jatco box in a E36, E34, E39 I've driven has had the same issue, one I sold 7 years ago still hasn't failed yet.

I like the Colour, clean

Cheers Charles, I've redone the pics. Good to know it's a common issue. The bloke selling the car made sure it was very warm before I arrived for the test drive ha. In all honesty I would have still bought the car had I known about the faults I've discovered since buying it.

Nice colour on that e30 of yours too ;)

I love e34s, congrats!

Very clean example! (And I'm not usually a big fan of E34s :ph34r:) Personally I'd prefer the amber indicators though! Just cause the car is light coloured...

Very nice indeed.

I had a 535i just like this before I ruined it while eating an ice cream. :(

That's one mint E34 you've got there. I grew up riding in a E34 and it is sad to say not many remain in this condition anymore, its even got the original stereo!

FYI, according to your vin,

Type

Value

VIN WBAHD620X0BJ42090

Type code HD62

Type 525I (EUR)

E series E34 ()

Series 5

Type LIM

Steering RL

Doors 4

Engine M50

Displacement 2.50

Power 141

Drive HECK

Transmission AUT

Colour DIAMANTSCHWARZ METALLIC (181)

Upholstery (0411)

Prod.date 1991-06-14

Options

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S285A LM RAEDER/BMW STYLING BMW light alloy wheel BMW styling

S411A FENSTERHEBER,ELEKTRISCH VORN/HINTEN Window lifts,electric,front/rear

S423A FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS Floor mats velours

S428A WARNDREIECK Warning triangle and first aid kit

S498A KOPFSTUETZEN IM FOND Headrests mechanically adjustable, rear

S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights

S530A KLIMAANLAGE Air conditioning

L807A JAPAN-AUSFUEHRUNG NATIONAL VERSION JAPAN

S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch

S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack

Posted Image

tints have made a massive difference, a bargain @ $180.

still waiting on clear indicators for the front, hopefully they are an improvement.

Sub and amp is installed. Can't wait for speakers to arrive from the states. Pictures of the set up to follow.

Big thanks to Julian @ BM autobahn for tightening up the steering, flushing the coolant and brake fluid and fixing the drivers door trim for an outstanding price.

All the minor issues are basically sorted now, next step may be new springs. If anyone has recommendations for a brand that will give a 1-2" drop in the front but still keep the ride nice I'd love to hear it. Julian says the rear springs are sagging so replacing those should help level its stance out a bit.

also thanks to Andy, euro plates are on the way!

These E34's have to be lowered in my view. Apart from the M5 all other E34's look silly at the front.

I have Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks and H&R springs in my 540l. Well worth the money. Looks great.

You could probably get away with just springs, however I had a 535i where I only changed the springs and not the shocks and it rode terribly, best to do both at once.

These cars look good with 17" wheels with a dish too.

Good luck.

MrD.

I think it looks great as-is.

If you do change the springs, I agree with Mr D in that you should change the shocks too. Chances are they'll be due for replacement anyway.

These E34's have to be lowered in my view. Apart from the M5 all other E34's look silly at the front.

I have Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks and H&R springs in my 540l. Well worth the money. Looks great.

You could probably get away with just springs, however I had a 535i where I only changed the springs and not the shocks and it rode terribly, best to do both at once.

These cars look good with 17" wheels with a dish too.

Good luck.

MrD.

I'll definitely keep my eye out. I think Ray has some bilsteins on TM. I'm tempted but will have to wait a month or two as I'm moving up to Auckland for work and that's going to drain the bank balance a bit.

How hard does yours ride? Ideally I'd want a 2" drop but not too great of an increase in stiffness. If it was a 540 I'd go all out and get stiff springs/shocks but the 525 will only ever be a cruiser and I don't want to ruin that.

New wheels are definitely in the pipeline at some point. M Pars would be ideal :wub:Posted Image

Or style 5's... but I imagine they cost the earth.

I think it looks great as-is.

If you do change the springs, I agree with Mr D in that you should change the shocks too. Chances are they'll be due for replacement anyway.

Thanks, good call.

This week I got the stereo all upgraded, very pleased with it. Quick post on it here

I got the clear indicators in, massive improvement I reckon. Euro plates should arrive tomorrow too!

Clear v amber

Posted Image

Edited by kingkarl

dont know how i missed this thread! a good example definitely! i had a E34 525i daily same colour same engine etc only difference was the wheels. amazing to drive standard so floaty. My wagon i have now about 2.5" maybe 3" drop in the front, the gaurd only just above the wheel, but don't have to spider over speed bumps etc just go straight over. actually only place the car has ever hit the ground is reversing into my driveway, the front kit JUST kisses the ground. coilovers very very stiff though.

your shimmy almost certain to be the front thrust arm bushings. replace with M5/750iL ones if your going through the trouble anyway, will make steering a wee bit heavier but everything is a tradeoff.

e: you might like to get the euro/NZ new front numberplate holder instead of your current jap one, looks a bit different

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

these wheels would suit

just got these in

post-279-1367742858.jpg

post-279-1367742877.jpg

dont know how i missed this thread! a good example definitely! i had a E34 525i daily same colour same engine etc only difference was the wheels. amazing to drive standard so floaty. My wagon i have now about 2.5" maybe 3" drop in the front, the gaurd only just above the wheel, but don't have to spider over speed bumps etc just go straight over. actually only place the car has ever hit the ground is reversing into my driveway, the front kit JUST kisses the ground. coilovers very very stiff though.

your shimmy almost certain to be the front thrust arm bushings. replace with M5/750iL ones if your going through the trouble anyway, will make steering a wee bit heavier but everything is a tradeoff.

e: you might like to get the euro/NZ new front numberplate holder instead of your current jap one, looks a bit different

Awesome thanks mate. Once I'm settled in my new place I'll have a go at replacing those bushings. What are they worth new out of interest?

Got the numberplate today, so stoked with it. thanks again

Posted Image

Posted Image

these wheels would suit

just got these in

Thanks Brent! I'm not too fond of those and I don't have the cash anyway but I'll keep a keen eye on what else you get your hands on in the next few months.

plates look lovely.. should have got a set for my e34.....

are you going to get clears for sides and rear lights?

What are they worth new out of interest?

$23US plus shipping from Pelican, i ordered a whole bunch of kit though. if its just those you need, may be worth shopping locally, Milland or EuroItalian (latter is a forum sponser last i checked)

@QUBE - I don't think I'll do clears all round - for now anyway. I'm very happy with how it looks (minus front height) so don't feel the need.

Because I can't help myself here's some more pictures. Excuse the filters - my phone camera isn't too sharp in low light and they clear up the quality a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I managed to blow the sub on Saturday night (don't run a 500W sub off a 600W channel :rolleyes:). Nevermind, supercheap had $50 off a $150 pioneer replacement and it goes better than the rockford anyway.

Thrust arm bushings have arrived. I was thinking about installing them myself but I don't have the tools at my disposal anymore and it doesn't seem like a very time consuming job so I'll probably just pay someone to do it.

I'm so glad to be driving this car :D. It sounds patronizing but I feel genuinely sorry for the majority who have to get in their japboxes every day haha

All good :)

I have orange indicators on my front and I kind of like it compared to white ones, maybe cuz my car is black?

Car looks lovely, needs a drop but nothing major

Very nice E34.

And I agree the clear indicators suit the silver cars - our Arktissilber 94 525i has 'em all round.

If you do upgrade your wheels, I'm after a set of those 15-inch cross spokes for my E28 project.

I'm so glad to be driving this car :D. It sounds patronizing but I feel genuinely sorry for the majority who have to get in their japboxes every day haha

be careful you will find that 5 series are very seductive cars....the best thing about e34s is that there are quite a few around that have been well cared for ALL their life There are still really nice stock ones to be had

Very nice E34.

And I agree the clear indicators suit the silver cars - our Arktissilber 94 525i has 'em all round.

If you do upgrade your wheels, I'm after a set of those 15-inch cross spokes for my E28 project.

Thanks mate. You should put some pics up of your cars (if you haven't already). I'm a huge fan of the e28.

In the next year I'm looking to replace:

*Control arm bushes,

*Cabin fan blower motor + resistor

*Front brake rotors

*All shocks/springs

*Power steering pump

*Transmission (the jatco jerk is starting to annoy the sh*t out of me)

So there's a bit of cash I need to find for that lot before I get to work on cosmetic bits like new wheels.

I'm replacing the thermostat this weekend... should cut down fuel use of 18l/100km I'm getting in Auckland traffic right now :blink: