Sign in to follow this  
Cab

Rowan's E30 Vert Do-up

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd start a thread for my 325i convertible.

So far I've done the cosmetic side of things such as new suede gaiter, lower profile tyres, lowering, new roof, new paint and euro plates, bla bla bla. She's a tonic for tired eyes now and here's a current exterior pic:

Posted Image

I've got some 15" BBS RS's at home which I will be taking apart and repainting gunmetal grey (currently polished lip with turqoise centres) but i'll probably do that last.

In the past couple of days I have spent a couple of grand on parts, some from the U.S, and awaiting arrival of:

-Coby Headers

-Schrick 288 Camshaft

-Schrick Valve Spring Set

-Clutch Kit along with Master & Slave Cylinders

Will be getting the ECU remapped too. Also I will most probably be doing more than i've listed soon down the line.

Will keep the thread regularly updated with more pics and upgrades as I go.

Ta

Edited by Cab

have you considered those HD rocker arms from IEmotorsport? i see a post this week from a member with a broken rocker.

Edited by etwenty1

I got the headers locally. The parts I had to get in from the states were the camshaft and valve springs ($1060 NZD shipped) which I don't think is too bad.

The headers were $430 and am expecting them here by Tuesday. As for the clutch kit and camshaft gear ill be seeing those in about a week.

I replaced all the rocker eccentrics at the same time (rocker arms etc)

Edited by Cab

I actually got the headers sourced locally from a supplier in Thames. The parts I had to get in from the states were the camshafts and valve springs ($1060 NZD shipped) which I don't think is too bad.

The Coby headers were $430 and am expecting them here by Tuesday. As for the clutch kit and camshaft gear ill be seeing those in about a week.

I might have a gander at those rocker arms, cheers

I'd be interested to see the headers, the picture of them on trademe was terrible and hard to see anything of use.

Watching with interest and keen to know the gains.

Who did you purchase the cam and springs from? Turner Motorsport?

I'd be interested to see the headers, the picture of them on trademe was terrible and hard to see anything of use.

Will post up pics once these have arrived for you.

Watching with interest and keen to know the gains.

Who did you purchase the cam and springs from? Turner Motorsport?

Well even with a chip and tune itself the gains are pretty noticeable. I was going to do this initially but thought I may aswell get some new bits and pieces before I have it tuned. Otherwise I would have to get it re-tuned after anyway if I decided to do it later on down the track.

Yeah I got my cam and springs from Turner Motorsport. If you're looking at getting cams get the 288. They're all the same price and these are the biggest you can fit in there without modification i'm pretty sure.

Edited by Cab

I have a 288 schrick in my 328 stroker e30...I love it but Im glad its not my daily

Nothing happens under 4k but its fun after that lol

Having a Gavin remap & headers on the 325 gave about a 14rwkw gain...we reckoned 7kw for each mod.

The torque gain is where it is most noticeable.

The improvements are nice but still doesnt make a rocketship

Edited by 1rotty

I have a 288 schrick in my 328 stroker e30...I love it but Im glad its not my daily

Nothing happens under 4k but its fun after that lol

Having a Gavin remap & headers on the 325 gave about a 14rwkw gain...we reckoned 7kw for each mod.

The torque gain is where it is most noticeable.

The improvements are nice but still doesnt make a rocketship

Yeah I have a company car so it won't be my daily either. Did you upgrade your valve springs when you got the cams?

The RS's, before I paint them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cab

After a sweaty effort to pull apart the wheels I decided to paint them in grey pearl. I also managed to get my hands on some bigger 2" lips:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love those wheels... and they come up real nice too, congrats :)

Yeah I have a company car so it won't be my daily either. Did you upgrade your valve springs when you got the cams?

Yep ugrading the springs is essential

Mine came as a kit from Turner M/S in the states

PS hope u didnt paint the wheels in the lounge !!!

Edited by 1rotty

I actually made a spray booth out of a massive cardboard box and did some of it in the lounge, yes, haha. They turned out really good too.

So the head is off, camshaft and valve springs about to be done. Found the valve tips were concave and not flat (this was causing that sewing machine ticking noise a lot of e30's get), so replacing the valves and rocker arms aswell. Also doing cambelt while everything's stripped.

Posted Image

Wheels are looking awesome, Did you sand every little bit then primer / paint? Or just clean and spray bomb?

Wheels are looking awesome, Did you sand every little bit then primer / paint? Or just clean and spray bomb?

Heavy sand, light sand, 1 coat primer, 2 coats paint, 2 coats clear coat :)

Edited by Cab

Posted Image

looks like something for the next episode of "Renters"

wheels looking great BTW

Ok so I had the headers and straight pipe done today. Managed to drive for literally 45 seconds before getting pulled over for being too loud so now getting that sorted out. Gah not a biggie

Had a resonator and muffler put on, sounds awesome, will be getting ecu chipped next week.

Sorry about the lack of photos I'll get some posted shortly.

Edited by Cab

Whose doing the chip for you? Im keen to get mine done, my last 325i had it done and i swear i feel the difference haha

Whose doing the chip for you? Im keen to get mine done, my last 325i had it done and i swear i feel the difference haha

Gavin @ hi velocity. Definitely get it done there. Hes on Harris road in East Tamaki

ECU remapped and car running mint, plenty of torque and pulls like a school girl especially at the top end. I put the Rs's on but I'm a bit iffy about them, dont look racey enough:

Posted Image

I have another set which are wider so threw them on:

Posted Image

Yesterday I bought a new Sparco R345 suede steering wheel, hub adapter and sparco quick release kit from the US, awaiting arrival.

Posted Image

Pretty excited for this to arrive ^_^

Next on the list is a Miller MAF and a new shift knob, that should be it for now.

Edited by Cab

As said before, looking real good! Any power figures?