Sign in to follow this  
Arma

850i on trademe

something tells me this would be an endless money pit.

To a certain extent, that's true of any 8 series :D

Seems pricey considering no wof or reg. something tells me this would be an endless money pit.

jeepers you are quick to condemn!Looks in very good nick to me,general condition is very important imho as a relection of cars actual condition

yea but why put such collectable bmw up for sale with no WOF or Reg? It's going to deter a lot of people and probably for good reason.

To a certain extent, that's true of any 8 series :D

To be honest I wouldn't say all 8's are expensive to run. Agreed, there are some parts are bespoke to the E31. However, if you have a m60 or M62 840, ownership is not that much more expensive than a E34 or E39

OK, my 840ci sport has comparatively low k's and under my ownership has been a relative garage queen. During the last 4 years of ownership however there has been minimal expenses beyond normal servicing.

I have other friends too with E31's (840's). I am certain they would agree with my sentiments.

In return you get a car which is quite a unique BMW, looks great, and is effortless to drive.

To be honest I wouldn't say all 8's are expensive to run.

No, but the V12's take a bit more (almost 2x 6 cylinder engines in there, joined at the hip B) )

But you must admit...... It's hard not to lavish $$$ and attention onto a car as impressive as an 8 series!

a car as impressive as an 8 series!

Provided they are in good condition. ^_^

I drove an absolute dog of an 850i a while back, which was said to be in 'good condition'

....Easily the worst BMW I had ever driven, the handling and braking where shot, and the acceleration comparable to a 80s Falcon - pretty sure it was miss firing.

Either way it was a bad introduction to the model, I can help but think ever since a 3 or 5 series would be a much more enjoyable car to own in the long term or that at least an 840ci would be the pick of the bunch.. in good condition of course.

PM April if you're genuinely looking for a 850i. Her's has had all the basic's recently done such as; new Bilstein shocks, rear bushes, trans filter/oil change, tires, leather interior refinished, the list goes on and it has been serviced by Ross at BM Workshop.

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

....Easily the worst BMW I had ever driven, the handling and braking where shot, and the acceleration comparable to a 80s Falcon - pretty sure it was miss firing.

sounds like its running on one bank. sometimes they start up and if they sence a problem the shut down one bank. mine used to do it till we (read: Lance) figured out the problem. runs like an early 525i when that happens, which would be on par with a Falcon lol.

but the V12s aren't too expencive in themself to maintain, not much more than any of my E30s, filters/plugs etc are the same price as any other BMW. its just there are two (sets) of almost everything, two fuel filters, two AFMs etc etc.

PM April if you're genuinely looking for a 850i. Her's has had all the basic's recently done such as; new Bilstein shocks, rear bushes, trans filter/oil change, tires, leather interior refinished, the list goes on and it has been serviced by Ross at BM Workshop.

can vouch it looks tidy in real life

sounds like its running on one bank. sometimes they start up and if they sence a problem the shut down one bank. mine used to do it till we (read: Lance) figured out the problem. runs like an early 525i when that happens, which would be on par with a Falcon lol.

Haha yeah, well now that I recall, this example was definitely not running on '12' cylinder sounded more like what you've described above.