Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Help me find an E30!

I would love to check out this one as I've always wanted a msport facelift e30 but it's down in christchurch. Is it anyones on here?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=597761666

This one here as someone mentioned before also looks like a very nice and tidy car and conversion, but I'm really fussy when it comes to colour and I'm really not a fan of it. Could get it vinyl wrapped for like $1500 but might not be worth spending that much extra on it just for that.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=599871286

Looks a bit more promising

No mention of cert? Lot of scope for engine development too. Pretty sure gtstarped still has a G260 conversion kit available for bugger all $.

Do it! :)

Heard back from this guy today too. He said that it's got no cert cause it doesn't need one to pass wof's cause they don't notice it. Apparently runs hot too so think I'll pass on that one too.

Heard back from this guy today too. He said that it's got no cert cause it doesn't need one to pass wof's cause they don't notice it. Apparently runs hot too so think I'll pass on that one too.

I suspect if he's gone down the M30 route and relies on dumb testing station employees to pass his warrants he's probably also cut some corners in the install. From what I know of the M30s they don't run hot when using the correct size radiator & maintained - I'd be thinking he's left the stock M20 cooler in the car!

The beige M50 swap looks ok man, get in touch with Bellicose, I'm sure he'd do you a good price to repaint. Have seen some of his work before, would be $ well spent. Vinyl wrap only lasts a couple years before it starts to crap out anyway

I suspect if he's gone down the M30 route and relies on dumb testing station employees to pass his warrants he's probably also cut some corners in the install. From what I know of the M30s they don't run hot when using the correct size radiator & maintained - I'd be thinking he's left the stock M20 cooler in the car!

The beige M50 swap looks ok man, get in touch with Bellicose, I'm sure he'd do you a good price to repaint. Have seen some of his work before, would be $ well spent. Vinyl wrap only lasts a couple years before it starts to crap out anyway

Yeah I'm not after anything dodgy, so if he thinks that, then like you say, there's probably plenty more corners cut.

I might just pick up the M325 from Christchurch. Full recent body work and respray by Auto Restorations, new trans and radiator. Been serviced regularly with the last being last month with new oil change and filter and a new shock absorber. Only issues is the locks which I'm sure wont be too difficult to fix, and leaks a little bit of power steering fluids which shouldn't be to much of a problem. This one just looks a lot better looked after then most the other e30's I've looked at, and being a tidy, standard car, I can build it up to how I want and to my standards, without the dodgy work gone into the ones I've seen. For the amount I'll spend on it, I'll have plenty left over to hopefully fix those few issues, and sort out a new set of wheels at least.

Oh and it's auto but I'm sure sometime along the way that will change.

Edited by Kaz

It's not an M325i its just a 4 door e30 325i with added M-tech2 kit etc,

It's not mint but reasonable.. I'd go 4.5k - 5k max considering it's only auto

Yeah I'm not after anything dodgy, so if he thinks that, then like you say, there's probably plenty more corners cut.

I might just pick up the M325 from Christchurch. Full recent body work and respray by Auto Restorations, new trans and radiator. Been serviced regularly with the last being last month with new oil change and filter and a new shock absorber. Only issues is the locks which I'm sure wont be too difficult to fix, and leaks a little bit of power steering fluids which shouldn't be to much of a problem. This one just looks a lot better looked after then most the other e30's I've looked at, and being a tidy, standard car, I can build it up to how I want and to my standards, without the dodgy work gone into the ones I've seen. For the amount I'll spend on it, I'll have plenty left over to hopefully fix those few issues, and sort out a new set of wheels at least.

Oh and it's auto but I'm sure sometime along the way that will change.

Looks like the pick of the bunch really. The advantage with starting with a stock car is you know that all the enhancements will be done to your satisfaction instead of some jumped up little boy racer that buys parts cause his mates tell him they're cool. Having the recaros is a bloody big bonus too! Conversion kits come along fairly regularly and for not that much $, and you'll only need to find an open 3.64 to swap the crown & pinion instead of finding the full LSD with correct ratio. Waaaaay cheaper! Keep an eye out for a nice set of BBS wheels and Bob's your cross-dressing uncle :)

Do it! Give another lonely E30 a loving home :)

Another thing you can see hes bypassed the heater core. He also says it doesn't work. Maybe it leaked at some stage and he's gone and bypassed it?

There's always something dodgy with even the seemingly well maintained. Heater core replacement is a hell of a job too as the dash needs to come out. That's if you ever wanted to fix it..

Just buy the 325i for sale at hellbm I saw it when I was there the other day it's mint call ray

As Rowan said..

If you're buying an E30 that you want to be a solid base for modifying, or just owning in general, make sure you check it out thoroughly. There are parts that can be replaced that aren't an issue (bushes, trim pieces etc), but make sure the chassis is sound. Pull the speaker kick panels out (you just need a screw driver to remove the one screw) and feel around under the carpet for water, as a common leaking spot for them that can cause endless issues is from the heater cowl by the firewall. The last thing you want is to have to take it to somewhere to get panels welded in if you can't weld yourself

Heater core replacement is a hell of a job too as the dash needs to come out. That's if you ever wanted to fix it..

No it doesn't. It's accessed from the passengers footwell. Can be pricy though.

Just buy the 325i for sale at hellbm I saw it when I was there the other day it's mint call ray

If you want a REALLY well specced E30 - those SE's are the ones to get.

I don't know Ray, but we did have a little discussion on his original for sale thread for it (though I can't find it now). It's the same as my fathers one, same colour and everything. They are really loaded with little things that you don't don't get on an average E30.

Reading light rear view mirror, lined boot lid, rear headrests, headlight range adjustment (that won't work though), illuminated manual gear knob, "sport" steering wheel (still bus size), full OBC, "premium" sound, electric sunroof and all 4 windows, Touring/SE side skirts, ski flap, painted boot spoiler, proper full length twin exhaust with big outlets, shadowline, colour coded bumpers/mirrors/lower grille inserts/sills, oil cooler, and a probably a shiltoad I can't remember. Proper German made too B)

Did you say one of those other cars had ONE shock replaced??? That's a half-assed repair right there!

Also, leaking power steering fluid - could be the rack - common on E30's You can get them rebuilt, which isn't cheap, but the mod they do means they last a long time. Dads was done at about 95,000 kms, and is still fine now, at about 225 kms. Look for a good one - they aren't much more expensive to buy than an average one.

If you want a REALLY well specced E30 - those SE's are the ones to get.

I don't know Ray, but we did have a little discussion on his original for sale thread for it (though I can't find it now). It's the same as my fathers one, same colour and everything. They are really loaded with little things that you don't don't get on an average E30.

Reading light rear view mirror, lined boot lid, rear headrests, headlight range adjustment (that won't work though), illuminated manual gear knob, "sport" steering wheel (still bus size), full OBC, "premium" sound, electric sunroof and all 4 windows, Touring/SE side skirts, ski flap, painted boot spoiler, proper full length twin exhaust with big outlets, shadowline, colour coded bumpers/mirrors/lower grille inserts/sills, oil cooler, and a probably a shiltoad I can't remember. Proper German made too B)

Did you say one of those other cars had ONE shock replaced??? That's a half-assed repair right there!

Also, leaking power steering fluid - could be the rack - common on E30's You can get them rebuilt, which isn't cheap, but the mod they do means they last a long time. Dads was done at about 95,000 kms, and is still fine now, at about 225 kms. Look for a good one - they aren't much more expensive to buy than an average one.

Yeah I do like the SA added options (my last e30 was an SA) but not too worried about it. At this stage I would rather have a nice and tidy body in a colour I like as a clean canvas.

Yeah I do like the SA added options

No no, not SA, SE.

The NZ New SE's are German assembled, so don't have the rust issues that the SA ones sometimes have.

The SA ones have nothing on a 325i SE when it comes to options!

Right so another one I can pretty much tick off the list. I got a pre-purchase inspection of the 325i with the msport kit all around. Outside it's in very good condition, interior wise it's pretty good too with black leather.

However, there's a pretty big list of things needed to do:

- Corrosion in the front suspension and battery trays in both front (where the battery was) and rear in the boot.

- Brake houses would need replacing

- Leaking oil from the engine and transmission

- Noisy engine tappets

- Handbreak wont release

- Wheel Guards missing at the front.

- Steering ball joints would need to be replaced

- Fuel gauge didn't seem to be working.

Seems a little too much to fix up, especially considering I would be flying down from Auckland to Christchurch and driving back up. The car itself I would have been paying $5000-$5500 for. The thing I liked about this car was the good conditioned exterior with full msport kit and the black leather interior but now I'm thinking it's just not worth it.

^i wouldnt be driving this car from chch to auckland myself.

let it go, something else will come eventually

^i wouldnt be driving this car from chch to auckland myself.

let it go, something else will come eventually

Yeah neither would I. Seems too much to fix up for the price I would be paying for the car. I just want the kit and interior!

I'm going to check out that 318i Coupe and hopefully this in the weekend so will go from there.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-602863547.htm

Edited by Kaz

That 325i looks decent, low kms. Convert to manual and it'd would be a sweet base

I really do think a nice e34 is worth it compared to the market price of e30s these days..

I really do think a nice e34 is worth it compared to the market price of e30s these days..

Agreed - for well maintained e34's

Yeah but would look a bit funny with a [MY_E30] p-plate on it haha. I think I've found one. Will be picking it up tomorrow if all goes well.

From TradeMe?

Andy has ETHRTY on his e34.... ;)

and it looks stupid.

I know what plate i want for it and i got the money, but havent talked myself into getting it yet lol.