Sign in to follow this  
kleinkak

M20 or M50?

Is ther any one on here who could point me in the direction of a workshop or a general wizzo person who knows everything about these two motors. Id like to have a discussion about which of these is the best platform for absolute N/A POWER!

My 2c,

Most people will suggest to get a S14 or S50 if you want absolute N/A power. What are your goals and what is your application?

My 2c,

Most people will suggest to get a S14 or S50 if you want absolute N/A power. What are your goals and what is your application?

I want to build a e30 with a monster engine that shows these turbo cars how its done.

I want to build a e30 with a monster engine that shows these turbo cars how its done.

Is this a race car or road car and what is your budget?

Is this a race car or road car and what is your budget?

Nah mate wont be a race car. Just your average going street car with track capabilities. Id chuck 6-10k into the engine

how much horsepower are you after?

A small update. I went down to the local bmw workshop and picked the big guys brain. What he said.....

"Run the m20b25 with 885 head and a schrick 288 cam. Bump up the compression to somewhere between 9.8-11.1 and tou will have a good base to play with."

Im all for the m20b25 because its easy and cheap. But in saying so i can spend more on mods if i keep the m20..... Also where am i to find a e30 m3 motor short of buying the car. Haha.

How much whp do i want?? Haha silly q. I was thinking mid to high 300s but im not sure if that is possible with the m20b25. So as much as i can get really.

I DONT WANT TO TURBO IT :)

Who is the mad guy on this forum? (Every forum has one or two). I need to buy you a beer so we can talk.

Good luck getting 300hp out of an m20 n/a with 10k.

get a V8

Who is the mad guy on this forum? (Every forum has one or two). I need to buy you a beer so we can talk.

will cost you a lot in beers, this forum is full of them!! Lots of mad builds and mad ideas on here.

S50B32 is 321hp straight out the box, a few around and can get one for about $4k check out details on Hybrids E30.

S14B23 (E30 M3 motor) pretty rare and cost a lot more, lots of tuning parts available but again not cheap.

Lots of options, have fun with the project!

If you going for hp numbers a M30 will be far better base to start with than a M20 ever will be

I think you will need to have a major rethink on that budget.

300hp? ya well then the best option will be a s50b30

But that will cost you closer to 20k

Let me explain.....

A e30 was never designed for that HP.

If you want 300+ hp then you need to think about a whole lot of other things

The drive train

The brakes

The suspension

Plus a million little things to transplant (ask Hybrid)

Otherwise it will only be a car that can go fast in a straight line and then OMG......

If I were you id build a nice M20b25 manual with a nice cam good brakes and suspension. A nice balanced package. Maybe a stroker engine (m20b27)

But 300 hp? no way....

Call us @ Hellbm

Sam aka Hellboy would be best to talk to. ph.0212455006

Call us @ Hellbm

Sam aka Hellboy would be best to talk to. ph.0212455006

Mate ill bring a couple steinys and we can have a good talk.

Just go s50 if you want under power under 10k. Will be the best dollar to horsepower motor you can get.

you want to show up a turbo setup?

hope you have a very deep wallet

I looked into this a while ago too. Was keen on getting the M20 up to some decent figures but unless you have a whole lot of money you will struggle to get much over 200whp sort of figures (From what Ive read at least).

As said an S50 would be the way to go, Im the same and want a euro NA which can show up my mates jappa turbos.

Torque and power + weight reduction are the key to being quick.

Here is mine toying with a m5 v10. There are quicker cars than mine. But they're are 600+ hp turbos road cars or lighter with the same engine stripped out race cars.

e30 S50B32 vs e60 M5 @ Hampton Downs 12/03/2011

itll be hard push to equal the torque of a turbo setup as well as power

the last s50 i had anything to do with ended up around 425hp and your 6-10k wont buy 1/4 of the parts needed to make those numbers and as per above the drive line plus ecu and supporting bits to make it all work, if you intend to do this and wont a turbo eta 30-40k wont be hard to blow

or just slap a turbo on a m20/50 which using your 6-10k would work ok, my own m50 turbo ive given up keeping count of the money tends to kill the fun :)

and i hope you dont intend to go street racing if its not an intended track car :)

my s.h.i.t box work hack e36 318is makes just under 300hp on 12psi idles at 750 and you cant see a thing out front, cost well under 6k including the turbo setup, is pretty good bang for buck on a low budget its just gone past 12k on a fresh engine and still gets me 90km for 20 bucks gas on 91.

weighs less than a m3 and goes just as well, food for thought

Edited by crunchy

Yeah 10k won't buy you much for your m50 unless its a turbo, then you will have decent power.

Im just starting on the Journey of a E30 300hp to 400hp transplant

Like you I also prefer to remain non Turbo (even though im tempted as Hybrid could tell you :) )

I have a S50b30 which I will be picking up next week or so . Target HP will be low 300hp at a stretch 350hp.

With the low weight of the E30 it will be a weapon

But my focus once I have fitted the engine and drive train will be how the car can handle this additional Power

Gearbox will be native M3

Diff = Medium case E30 LSD

Steering Rack = Z3 (still researching)

Suspension = Adjustable platforms (there are many options here (Big money) )

Brakes= Brembo? Willwood? ytd

wheels???

exhaust system????? custom made, not cheap

S50b30 is probably the best option to get above 300hp for a E30 but it will cost you a lot more than 10k

Give me a call mate

I can can give you some realistic options

Edited by RAH

Here is mine toying with a m5 v10

Was his wife telling him off on the corners? :lol:

Liking the noise B)

Crunchy, I tried to PM you a few weeks ago but its locked or something, can you message me please? I need my car turboed. Thankyou sir.

Crunchy, I tried to PM you a few weeks ago but its locked or something, can you message me please? I need my car turboed. Thankyou sir.

i think its full try me on here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=300...e=1&theater