Sign in to follow this  
roo

E34 M5's

Just wondering if anyone knows how many are in NZ? Any members have one?

When was the last time one came up for sale (other than Brent's green one)?

Edited by roo

Just wondering if anyone knows how many are in NZ? Any members have one?

When was the last time one came up for sale (other than Brent's green one)?

Thanks for raising this question - I'm a big fan of the E34 M5, although I've never owned one.

A couple of years ago I was in the process of tracking them all down for a NZ E34 M5 register, but the project was shelved due to a general lack of interest from many owners.

However, at last count there were 23 E34 M5's known to be in this country.

Eighteen 3.6 litre and five 3.8 litre cars, comprising:

2 HD91's (Euro LHD 3.6)

15 HD92's (Euro RHD 3.6)

1 HD98 (ZA RHD 3.6)

5 HC92 (Euro RHD 3.8)

My research showed that only about 8 or 9 of them were NZ new - the remainder are imports.

I've got the build sheets for most of these cars - must download the rest of them when I get some spare time.

And I'd appreciate it if anyone else on here has any further info or pics of the NZ E34 M5's, so I can update the records and hopefully one day get the register up and running.

Cheers.

Thanks for raising this question - I'm a big fan of the E34 M5, although I've never owned one.

A couple of years ago I was in the process of tracking them all down for a NZ E34 M5 register, but the project was shelved due to a general lack of interest from many owners.

However, at last count there were 23 E34 M5's known to be in this country.

Eighteen 3.6 litre and five 3.8 litre cars, comprising:

2 HD91's (Euro LHD 3.6)

15 HD92's (Euro RHD 3.6)

1 HD98 (ZA RHD 3.6)

5 HC92 (Euro RHD 3.8)

My research showed that only about 8 or 9 of them were NZ new - the remainder are imports.

I've got the build sheets for most of these cars - must download the rest of them when I get some spare time.

And I'd appreciate it if anyone else on here has any further info or pics of the NZ E34 M5's, so I can update the records and hopefully one day get the register up and running.

Cheers.

Can you advise where youcan down load build info. Have just bought e36 m3 sedan evo sedan

Cheers

Hi. Given I know not much bout BMW's - there wasn't a E34 V8 'M' spec was there?? From whats listed here, I'm taking it as not - all were 6 cylinders?? Next 'dumb' question - did M series get both narrow & wide grille versions, depending on year of build or just narrow grille only??

Bit off topic, but I seen a late model diesel BMW in town yesterday, wearing 'M' badging - I assume its Trademe badging.....??? (as to me, 'M' on a diesel is a bit like me putting TRD badges on my Landcruiser.......) <_<

I was looking at bringing in a E34 M5 Touring next year. But it would have to be immaculate and I will be required to somehow convince the Mrs. She wants a E92 M335D.

Bit off topic, but I seen a late model diesel BMW in town yesterday, wearing 'M' badging - I assume its Trademe badging.....??? (as to me, 'M' on a diesel is a bit like me putting TRD badges on my Landcruiser.......) <_<

Perhaps you need to drive a BMW diesel..... it's not at all like a toyota diesel ;)

Your E34 would have trouble keeping up with some of the new ones! B)

200kw and 450+nm

Little bit quicker than an old land cruiser haha.

M just means the car has motorsport parts. M3 or M5 is a different story.

200kw and 450+nm

Little bit quicker than an old land cruiser haha.

M just means the car has motorsport parts. M3 or M5 is a different story.

Lols - cheers for that. Not exactly an old Landcruiser - common rail injection too, 32 valves, variable turbo, V-8 diesel, sees it being as tempermental on fuel quality as any other new diesel, BMW included.

Whilst it's no slouch for a 4WD, my E34 definitely uses less fuel!!!! <_<:rolleyes:

I'll go google up difference on 'M', M3, M5........ :)

Lols - cheers for that. Not exactly an old Landcruiser - common rail injection too, 32 valves, variable turbo, V-8 diesel, sees it being as tempermental on fuel quality as any other new diesel, BMW included.

Whilst it's no slouch for a 4WD, my E34 definitely uses less fuel!!!! <_<:rolleyes:

I'll go google up difference on 'M', M3, M5........ :)

is your landcruiser the new v 8 diesel?My lil 2 litre diesel is nearly as powerful and i bet it has a much better power to weight ratio.

M3 M5 M6 are factory built high performance versions of a 3 series ,5 series or a six series."motor sport" or M are look a like parts to make the normal e34(for example) look like a e34 M5.My 535 for example had lower suspension,"sports" seats and a body kit very very similar to the M5,so it was a "motorsport with many "motorsport parts".The M badges are quite often applied at the dealer.Again my 535 had no 535 badge just a M this was done by the dealers.

there were some motorsport v8 e 34s,the aussies got a special one,and so did the canadians and yanks.The e34 540 six speeds here were also body kitted and sports seats etc very similar in execution to the 535s

Edited by kiwi535

is your landcruiser the new v 8 diesel?My lil 2 litre diesel is nearly as powerful and i bet it has a much better power to weight ratio.

M3 M5 M6 are factory built high performance versions of a 3 series ,5 series or a six series."motor sport" or M are look a like parts to make the normal e34(for example) look like a e34 M5.My 535 for example had lower suspension,"sports" seats and a body kit very very similar to the M5,so it was a "motorsport with many "motorsport parts".The M badges are quite often applied at the dealer.Again my 535 had no 535 badge just a M this was done by the dealers.

there were some motorsport v8 e 34s,the aussies got a special one,and so did the canadians and yanks.The e34 540 six speeds here were also body kitted and sports seats etc very similar in execution to the 535s

Yes, the 'new' V8 T/D, & yes, your 2 litre probably does have a better power to weight ratio (my ute has a GCWR of 7000kg..) - but then yours probably gets a bit average on gravel or at river crossings - very much a 'horses for courses' thing.... :)

Thanks for the simple (& great!!) explanation here. From my point of view (ie; 'newbie', knowing 'nothing much' about BMW's a few months ago...), it appears the lines have become less blurred on the more recent models as to whats 'factory muscle' & what's not......On the earlier stuff it's worse to learn about I think, particularly when you're trying to pick up what the model numbers & engine numbers / types mean too.......

The only true 'M540i' was the Canadian market version, of which just 32 cars were produced, in 1995.

Unlike the 540i Manual Limited Edition (Australia) or the 540i M-Sport (US), the 32 Canadian cars were completed at the BMW M-facility in Garching.

Engine was stock but suspension, gearbox, wheels and brakes were straight from the 3.8l, 6-speed E34 M5 parts bin.

However, they all retained the standard 'WBA' factory VIN (not the 'WBS' prefix usually assigned to M-cars).

See more info here.

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=13

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/models.php?id=26

Hi. Given I know not much bout BMW's - there wasn't a E34 V8 'M' spec was there?? From whats listed here, I'm taking it as not - all were 6 cylinders?? Next 'dumb' question - did M series get both narrow & wide grille versions, depending on year of build or just narrow grille only??

All E34 M5's had either the S38 B36 or the S38 B38 6-cylinder engine (see previous post above for the special non-M5 V8 versions).

All E34 M5 3.6's and the earlier 3.8's were pre-facelift cars (narrow grilles).

The final 3.8 version (from May 1994) had the wider facelift kidney grille and 6-speed gearbox, uprated brakes, etc.

Only 139 of this last 3.8 variant were built in RHD.

Newb :P

Posted Image

Search the forum for threads about 'what is an M' or 'how to spot a genuine M-Sport' for more details on M cars.

Don't put TRD badges on the Cruiser, John Deere would be more appropriate!!

Dragging this up from the dead a wee bit, wondering if anyone knows what the last 3.6 and 3.8 sold for in NZ?

Thanks!

there was one 3.8 sold about 2-3 years back about $16-17k

have seen a few 3.6 sell anything from $8k for basket cases to but more comon around $12-15k

Let me know if anyone sees a 3.8 touring locally....

....BWAHAHAHAHA!

I'd sell a nut for one, I reckon. The Mrs reckons she'd drive an E34 Touring, but not sedan :( Apparently we don't "need" a V8, but the E34 M5's only a 6, so should be easy to talk her into :lol: Practically the same as the 525i.... :P

....BWAHAHAHAHA!

I'd sell a nut for one, I reckon. The Mrs reckons she'd drive an E34 Touring, but not sedan :( Apparently we don't "need" a V8, but the E34 M5's only a 6, so should be easy to talk her into :lol: Practically the same as the 525i.... :P

m5 3.8L touring only came in LHD too , easier for getting out onto the footpath after parking :)

There were three NZ new E34M5s, one in Macau Blue and the other two in white one of which was tourist delivery. One of the white cars ( ex the late Jock Styles) was the damaged car recently sold by Turners and has been broken up for parts. The other white car is around somewhere. I owned the Macau Blue car for eight years and it was my first BMW. It is simply the best car I have ever owned and I still regret selling it despite it sitting in the garage not being driven as it should - regularly. Believe it is in the Botany area and is looked after by Ross Lamb. They are a special car and if you can find one in good nick, grab it.

^ and I have the stereo, OBC, and IHKA unit from that broken up M5.

thats kinda cool and kinda sad at the same time

....BWAHAHAHAHA!

buy a certain V12 powered one then ;P

There will have to be some serious performance boosts  needed for the v8 petrols to be relevant. O

Petrol V8's will always be relevant.

• Like 1