Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Another e39 m5

Check the bonnet and bumper repair ... this was at the track day we were at when he hit the barrier. It wasnt a bad one nor did it set off the airbags but worth checkind the repair was done right.

178ks & going strong. makes me think. With regular maintenance what would be the expected lifespan of one of these engines? has anyone heard of one with double that still going?

Oil consumption is a worrying sign imo.

It's considered normal for pre-2000 models.

178ks & going strong. makes me think. With regular maintenance what would be the expected lifespan of one of these engines? has anyone heard of one with double that still going?

In 'Murica there are examples of mega mileage M5's - 200k + miles.

Here's some specs on this one for any one interesed. Looks to have some individual data, however protected.

ywwp.jpg

• Like 1

The 'Control, preseries' is an interesting option, perhaps a special test vehicle, or pre-production car??

I think could be a pre-prod car. Apparently:

"These codes are most commonly found before the actual production starts. However they may also be used when there are significant changes made to an existing model. For instance you will find both codes on facelift M%s that are built before 9/2000. Even with some smaller changes they may still carry the code 991. Such as Audio systems, specific colours etc. The factory always do a pre-series run (at least 1 car) There are Le-Mans blue m5s built already in 1999 for example."

Edited by Arma

interesting my 2003 M5 used about that amount of oil also. Usually only when pushed hard for extended periods. I went through a 1lt during Targa 2007.

My current 2002, never used even a drop.

interesting my 2003 M5 used about that amount of oil also. Usually only when pushed hard for extended periods. I went through a 1lt during Targa 2007.

My current 2002, never used even a drop.

Hand-built engine lottery. But probably a lot to do with how the Engines were run-in for the first 2000kms.

I'm guessing with something like this it wouldn't be unlikely to have to put in a few grand of maintenance to bring it up to decent condition

I'm guessing with something like this it wouldn't be unlikely to have to put in a few grand of maintenance to bring it up to decent condition

Looks in pretty decent nick and sounds like the owner has kept well on top of maintenance including preventative. I'd say it'd cost a lot less than the Avus Blue one that was for sale recently (which I looked at).

I'm interested in this but in Australia this week, so would imagine it will be gone by the time I get back at that price. Not a fan of the colour... Would want to put a few grand away to paint it!! haha

Pre-series is effectively their production ramp up before full production release with the final process timings, final sign offs on purchased materials & tooling etc. The europeans use the word control where we would say quality check. So in short i believe this actually referring to additional production testing / checks before production release of the line & has no bearing on the actual spec of the car.

Looks in pretty decent nick and sounds like the owner has kept well on top of maintenance including preventative. I'd say it'd cost a lot less than the Avus Blue one that was for sale recently (which I looked at).

I'm interested in this but in Australia this week, so would imagine it will be gone by the time I get back at that price. Not a fan of the colour... Would want to put a few grand away to paint it!! haha

Or I would just wrap it up Matte black. :P

Crazy that I had only ever seen one on there in over a year, then as soon as I buy my one another appears!

Edited by DaveO

Crazy that I had only ever seen one on there in over a year, then as soon as I buy my one another appears!

This one doesn't meet your specifications, though!!

This one doesn't meet your specifications, though!!

^this

You're one looks much nicer DaveO. Regardless, I wouldn't complain about having a piece of this one :D

• Like 1

I agree DaveO's look much much nicer with the bonus "investment" plate too. Uber jealous...

Same colour on my E92 but tbh don't like it on the E39s or E46s..

EDIT:
Nvm mine's SS "2"

Edited by Tristan

I like the colour. Certain this car has been discussed on here before. Its changed hands a few times over the last several years. Tradin Post on Stanley Street had it for a while and I think a few members ( myself included) took it for test drives.

Agreed, tons of information on oil usage online. Within spec. Post 2000 cars can be impacted too.

It's considered normal for pre-2000 models.

In 'Murica there are examples of mega mileage M5's - 200k + miles.

Here's some specs on this one for any one interesed. Looks to have some individual data, however protected.

ywwp.jpg

Was just thinking. Isn't this m5 the same colour as the one Ray used as a donor for 8M3 ?