Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Wow!

I am embarrassed to say I thought the 8 series cars were like 7 series and worth $1-5k, never realized people payed money for them! Have they recently gone up in value?

:(

Not sure, Graham, but I certainly haven't seen one with relatively low kms as cheap as this before. That said, there are a couple of higher-priced examples on TM that haven't sold, so maybe I'm the sucker here!

I think they're beautiful cars - a 90s supercar - you'd expect to pay more than $1-2K for a 90s Porsche wouldn't you, even a 944, and the 850 is a much cooler car?

Yes, a very cool car in 850 guise (would avoid the lesser models). My concern would be maintenance... there's now a DIY for just about every e36 fix but with the 8 series I bet just as many problems but with far less owners so less info out there. Might cost a bomb to keep it on the road.

I'm sure you're right but a very beautiful car!

When did people start buying cars they could afford to run? if you need it make it happen!

When did people start buying cars they could afford to run? if you need it make it happen!

Lols - probably happened around same time they brought cars they couldn't afford to own, hence HP's out to 5 years, leases for private use, etc etc.

But gee, looks great parked in the driveway ae....... :rolleyes:;):D

Buying a super awesome car at a good price = Very cool

Friends asking why you don't drive the car and replying because its broken and don't have funds to fix it = Very uncool.

Had this dilemma about purchasing a 2000 Maserati 3200GT with Tubi exhaust for $20k a few months back.

8' E31 Coupe

850Ci ( M70)

GPC 301

CB 57754

Engine 60200182

First Rego NZ 11 June 99

Imported from Singapore

Assembled October 91

Info from Car jam and BMW fans

If i wanted one id buy Jamez's one for 13k. I think as long as you buy a good example with everything good working order then it wouldnt give you much grief apart from the fuel bill.

Buying a super awesome car at a good price = Very cool

Friends asking why you don't drive the car and replying because its broken and don't have funds to fix it = Very uncool.

Had this dilemma about purchasing a 2000 Maserati 3200GT with Tubi exhaust for $20k a few months back.

A 3200GT for $20k? How many kms had it done?

A 3200GT for $20k? How many kms had it done?

109000, Was listed for 1 week and sold :(

Not sure, Graham, but I certainly haven't seen one with relatively low kms as cheap as this before. That said, there are a couple of higher-priced examples on TM that haven't sold, so maybe I'm the sucker here!

I think they're beautiful cars - a 90s supercar - you'd expect to pay more than $1-2K for a 90s Porsche wouldn't you, even a 944, and the 850 is a much cooler car?

These are no "supercar" they are a stylized over-engineered luxury barge. I genuinely never realized they were worth more than 5k and had thought they had bottomed out the E38.

These are not in the same class as a Porsche.

Lols - probably happened around same time they brought cars they couldn't afford to own, hence HP's out to 5 years, leases for private use, etc etc.

But gee, looks great parked in the driveway ae....... :rolleyes:;):D

Would recommend people take a proper look at running costs when buying a new car for sure.

Is 30,000 a small production run?

Ah, I Googled "limited run super cars" and funnily enough the BMW 8 Serried didn't come up on page 1, or page 23,0000, just bunch of crappy Ferrari's and Lambo's and other average cars.

Then I went down a rabbit hole and found this interesting link for tragic car nerd anoraks like myself...

Kiss good buy to an hour on a Tuesday afternoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives

• Like 1

Yes, a very cool car in 850 guise (would avoid the lesser models). My concern would be maintenance... there's now a DIY for just about every e36 fix but with the 8 series I bet just as many problems but with far less owners so less info out there. Might cost a bomb to keep it on the road.

rubbish...the 4.4 powered 840s are easily the best

I'd have one in a heartbeat

• Like 1

Ah, I Googled "limited run super cars" and funnily enough the BMW 8 Serried didn't come up on page 1, or page 23,0000, just bunch of crappy Ferrari's and Lambo's and other average cars.

Then I went down a rabbit hole and found this interesting link for tragic car nerd anoraks like myself...

Kiss good buy to an hour on a Tuesday afternoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives

Cracking up @ this - gotta be 'post of the day!!' :lol:

rubbish...the 4.4 powered 840s are easily the best

I'd have one in a heartbeat

Funny - I'd prefer the V8 too rather than the 12...........

X3, with a manual and the M Package... But would actually rather a E36 M3 for that money.