Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Flywheel lightening - Where?

I have an m20 flywheel I need to have lightened, or some back side shaved atleast.

Does anyone know any good places in Wellington, Or anywhere else I could send it to to have done that's not a rip off?

Was looking around yesterday and got quoted $300+GST to only take the back side down to behind the ring gear and balancing etc, so only losing ~1kg (currently 8.4KG). I only want it down to about 7kg anyway or even a bit lower is fine,

Willing to send it anywhere if it's cheaper

Hey john boi....didn't u get my email

Quality autos...mine was 120 from memory.... 5.5 k

• Like 1

MP Autoparts in Upper Hutt skimmed mine down to 6.5kg from memory. The guy didn't want to take any more off even though its standard practice by all the yanks to take them down to 6kg safely. I could try and find the receipt if you want a rough idea of a price.

Edited by slideways

i have used this guy a few times.

Bob Mead (09) 8276481

Balancing Specialties
Unit 2 3034 Great North Road

New Lynn Waitakere

Does any one lighten Dual mass flywheels?

No. You'll have to use a M20 one.

+1 for Bobs service.

Is there a bnt down there? They did mine.

Is there a bnt down there? They did mine.

AFAIK they are just a trades orientated version of Repco, that doesnt sell all the bullshit like cigarette adaptors and floor mats

Tried BNT, they referred me to the mechanic next door who was only able to grind the front face so that's all sorted, but I need the back shaved some to fit an m52. I think it needs about 3.5mm lathed down.

Thanks for above, will give them a go tomorrow.

Edited by e30ftw

MP Autoparts in Upper Hutt skimmed mine down to 6.5kg from memory. The guy didn't want to take any more off even though its standard practice by all the yanks to take them down to 6kg safely. I could try and find the receipt if you want a rough idea of a price.

also supply the clutch friction plate and pressure plate, get it balanced at the the same time , as a complete unit

+2 for Bob Mead and balance the lot together as said above.. very good at what he does. I used him on westy's recommendation and i'm glad I did.. top job done. yes anyone can do it with a lathe but Bob also properly balances it all through the RPM range so the engine will run smooth too.

I think from memory mine is 4.8kg, had a guy write a program for his CNC milling machine, balnce was only .4g out after machining!

flywheel2_zpse3c845d5.jpg

flywheel2.jpg

• Like 1

Does any one lighten Dual mass flywheels?

Use the flywheel from a M42 or M44 non dual mass