Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

What engine oil do you use in your E30?

Found a lot of threads about this topic but they are all US forums, and they have a different climate, different oil brands etc. Just wanted to see what what people here use. Brand, weight, synthetic or dino? Will be interesting to see what different people use. Cheers

Edited by Kepes

I use Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30 in our Legacy Turbo, the Golf, plus my M3. Kinda depends on engines, but everyone seems to have their own opinions. Probably not as vital as in the US, as we don't get near the temperature variations they do.

I use 5w40 synthetic. Forgot what brand though but it's in my boot. Quiet as for an m20.

I use 5w40 synthetic. Forgot what brand though but it's in my boot. Quiet as for an m20.

Does your e30 burn much oil? I spent almost all day just researching E30 stuff today :/ and read that they often burn quite a lot of that thinner synthetic oil (expensive!). Any leaks using it?

Used to use Pennzoil High Millage oil in my E30's, they are a low tech engine from the dark ages and mine had high mileage so seemed a good fit. Cant see the point in putting top quality synthetic oil in a old car, they were not designed for it.

I am no mechanic though.

I went by the E30 Wiki from what I remember,

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Oil

Also on our own forum stickied in the Maintenance forum here, (M20, E30) 1984-93 5w-40 325ix (M20, E30) 1985-93 5w-40 325i/is

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/27128-bmw-engine-oil-chart/

Back in the day I used 20w50 on m20b20 and M20 2.7, But yeah this stuff does not leak at all and since I did the oil change earlier in the year I have not had to top it up at all from the 4.5l I put in originally, however I keep the last 0.5l in my trunk just incase..

Does your e30 burn much oil? I spent almost all day just researching E30 stuff today :/ and read that they often burn quite a lot of that thinner synthetic oil (expensive!). Any leaks using it?

40 isn't really very thin. A good M20 should be OK on 30 in a semitropical climate.

In Dads 325i, it's had Valvoline semi synth, and lately valvoline VR-1 Racing, 10W-40. Uses about 100mls between changes, but it always has for the 15 or so years he's had it. Now has about 230K on I think.

20W-40 Magnatec in my 2.7L.

( and only BP Ultimate 98 ).

Edited by vtgts300kw

10w40 Elf Competition.

Best oil I have found in my E30's and Nissans.

I found magnatec dropped my oil pressure too low after races. Meaning it doesn't do as good a job when hot. Changing out the magnatec in the pits between races solved the issue immediately.

I also tried two American oils called Champion and Royal Purple. Both of which were instantly much more noisy than the Elf oil and once again oil pressure was too low after a race. I actually think the Champion diff oil f**ked my road e30's diff.

10w40 Elf Competition.

Best oil I have found in my E30's and Nissans.

I found magnatec dropped my oil pressure too low after races. Meaning it doesn't do as good a job when hot. Changing out the magnatec in the pits between races solved the issue immediately.

I also tried two American oils called Champion and Royal Purple. Both of which were instantly much more noisy than the Elf oil and once again oil pressure was too low after a race. I actually think the Champion diff oil f**ked my road e30's diff.

Where do you find top quality oils like elf, royal purple etc? I can only think of places like supercheap auto and repco but they only sell the cheaper stuff. Probably not worth putting in an E30 but just curoous as to where you would get these oils. Also anyonw know where to find redline oils ? Cheers

10w40 Elf Competition.

Also running this in the turbo.

Where do you find top quality oils like elf, royal purple etc? I can only think of places like supercheap auto and repco but they only sell the cheaper stuff. Probably not worth putting in an E30 but just curoous as to where you would get these oils. Also anyonw know where to find redline oils ? Cheers

Got it from extreme automotive.

Elf can be purchased in Auckland from ADL or Exedy on the Shore.

Otherwise give them a call on 0800 353 645 to see who supplies it. It is no more expensive than other brands like Castol.

It does come in a 5ltr pack too. Rather than the bloody annoying 4ltr packs which are not enough for any Bimmer or Nissan.

Redline can be a hit and miss too. It can be very harsh on copper syncros. Kayne Barry Motorsport (Gearbox/Diff/everything Guru) always recommends us to use Castrol gear oils in the BMW race series.

Elf can be purchased in Auckland from ADL or Exedy on the Shore.

Otherwise give them a call on 0800 353 645 to see who supplies it. It is no more expensive than other brands like Castol.

It does come in a 5ltr pack too. Rather than the bloody annoying 4ltr packs which are not enough for any Bimmer or Nissan.

Redline can be a hit and miss too. It can be very harsh on copper syncros. Kayne Barry Motorsport (Gearbox/Diff/everything Guru) always recommends us to use Castrol gear oils in the BMW race series.

We use ELF competition stuff in both rally cars, even use it in the daily driver now, we get it off ELF in 44 gallon drums though, works out very cheap that way.

Good call on just calling ELF, they sell it all over the country and they will be able to give you advice as to what oil works best in your car.

Can also recommend their race brake fluid, never over heats!

Total oil would be fine too I would think.

Total acquired ELF a number of years ago. They have a very strong relationship with Renault. Shame it doesn't make them any prettier :P

I use Penrite 10w40 Fully Synthetic

I recently did an oil change and went from Penrite ( which was very good ) to Elf competition ST, 15W50 semi synthetic.

The M20 has sprung at least one good leak. The oil pressure when hot has dropped at idle, but not under load.

What model BMW. Much too thin if it is 80's or 90's. Especially if she is getting on. 100K+kms.

Edited by driftit

What model BMW. Much too thin if it is 80's or 90's. Especially if she is getting on. 100K+kms.

BMW E30. 1984-1991 i believe. I think you'd have a hard time finding a E30 with <100,000km

Also thanks for all the info guys I managed to find a place that stocks Elf oils so will probably go down that alley when i get an E30. 10w40 or around that

Edited by Kepes

Huh?... 50 is pretty thick as far as engine oils go...

40 isn't really very thin. A good M20 should be OK on 30 in a semitropical climate.

In Dads 325i, it's had Valvoline semi synth, and lately valvoline VR-1 Racing, 10W-40. Uses about 100mls between changes, but it always has for the 15 or so years he's had it. Now has about 230K on I think.

I would recommend 15w40 for summer and 10w40 for winter. It depends on the air temperature where you live I can copy the oil grade chart out of my NZ new e30's handbook if anyone wants it. I use mineral oil personally, It was good enough for the car when it was new and I can change it every 6 months without breaking the bank. Synthetic oils can make old seals leak more, so if my engine was rebuilt I would probably use synthetic.

Also in the handbook..

Engine oil consumption: Max 0.15 litre per 100 km. Like fuel consumption engine oil consumption depends on the way the car is driven and on operating conditions.

Also the quantity of oil represented by the space between the two marks on the dipstick is 1 litre.

I would recommend 15w40 for summer and 10w40 for winter

There's not really any appreciable difference between those two oils. The lower the first number, the better the cold start flow is (lower the better) the second number is the hot viscosity which is more important, as hot is when it's thinnest.

The best really is 0W-40 (if 40 is your chosen hot viscosity), winter or summer.