gjm

E46 320d Touring - life with a high mileage car

he has already paid part of it

i know that, i wish i could prepay the tax too, would be "cheaper" to go away after spending on all the famn damily

Actually, I should check when I need to prepay again... :(

Actually, I should check when I need to prepay again... :(

i dont do nearly the ks that you do but it seems every time i look its duee again,and i buy 10000k at once

What brings you to the far west of Franklin?? DW at Castaways? :ph34r:

Just a seasonal visit to friends, which happily coincided with some racing. Sadly we missed the jet boats.

Errmm... "DW at Castaways"? Sorry - that means nothing to me!

Just a seasonal visit to friends, which happily coincided with some racing. Sadly we missed the jet boats.

Errmm... "DW at Castaways"? Sorry - that means nothing to me!

DW = dirty weekend. Castaways is a rather swish collection of beachside baches at Kariotahi, probably about the ONLY upmarket accommodation west of the Bombays :)

There was racing out here? Aww stink, never even heard about it :(

I'd heard Graham's idea on a DW involves lots of lube......................

And fuel filter, oil filter, tyre rotation.............................. :D

DW = dirty weekend. Castaways is a rather swish collection of beachside baches at Kariotahi, probably about the ONLY upmarket accommodation west of the Bombays :)

There was racing out here? Aww stink, never even heard about it :(

I'd not heard of Kariotahi before! Sounds interesting... ;)

The racing was in Wanganui - http://www.cemeterycircuit.co.nz. There was also some V8 boat racing in the area - Steve Murch was represented by a pair of turbos on one of the boats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcWzfidMO5s) but I missed it.

I also missed the hot rod gathering in Waiuku earlier this year. Saw pics online - looked impressive.

Waiuku is on the list of places to go, people to see... Some friends have a block north of Waiuku, south of Pollock, on the west coast.

As for my idea of a DW... It'd go so much better if I could find somewhere that sells nickel anti-seize in decent sized containers at a reasonable price. 100ml for $30+ is a rip-off! Any recommendations for where I can get a 500ml tub?

Had to fill up again today... Good grief! That's twice over Christmas! :wacko::PB)

Economy is down a bit, probably hampered by traipsing around the hills, twists and turns of the Coromandel, and numerous short trips around the local area. 544.6 miles on 61 litres of fuel, so that's just over 40mpg, 14.37km per litre or 6.96 litres per 100km.

I've started investigating the replacement of the turbo... It's not smoking, but under hard acceleration it does make some 'interesting' noises. I've checked the history and there is no mention of there ever having been any work done on it - at very nearly 373000km it is certainly due some attention. Reports I have seen suggest that 200000 miles is about the limit, and this one has likely done over 230000 miles now.

There's options, of course. Steve could probably rebuild the existing one, but that means taking the car off the road. I could buy a used one and have Steve rebuild that (would you take a chance fitting an unchecked, used turbo to your car?), but it'll likely have to come from abroad, and by the time it is checked/sorted could cost $1200.

The expensive option is to buy a hybrid turbo (from abroad) designed to be used on the M47TUD20 engine. All up cost for that could run to $2.5k. This is usually associated with extracting more power, but I'm told that the reality is simply a more efficient solution, meaning the potential for better economy. (And more power. :D )

In between the refurb and the enhanced solution lies the new GT1749V purchase, or even buying a warranted refurbished standard unit. Not sure what BMW want for one of those, other than that it'll be expensive. This may well be the most cost-effective option in the long run.

Regardless, it'll be done properly (no quick fixes here), and I'll fit a decat front downpipe at the same time.

While I've been looking at this, I have come across a couple of suggestions that a swap for the M57D30 or M57TUD30 isn't impractical. Well, BMW did make an E46 330d so that makes some sense, but it still sounds like more work than I really want to get in to.

I think I'd either refurb what you've got, or go the import one from UK Graham - the new age turbo sounds great & all, but how bad do ya need it in terms of the extra $$$ above a refurb, in perspective of the long block has got 320,00kms on it anyway........ :)

That 318 turned up yet.............?? :D

I think I'd either refurb what you've got, or go the import one from UK Graham - the new age turbo sounds great & all, but how bad do ya need it in terms of the extra $$$ above a refurb, in perspective of the long block has got 320,00kms on it anyway........ :)

Aye... Keep it simple but get it right. I really shouldn't mess with my commuting car. (But the EGR and cat delete are still a good idea.)

That 318 turned up yet.............?? :D

Naah... All that nocturnal wearing myself out will have to be banked for another time.

Having seen Mojo's thread, I quite fancy a caged E36 coupe with a dry-sumped M90 running throttle bodies and an aftermarket EMS... :D

It's worth while to chip these I reckon, I run a 80% map in mine

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Aye. I've been talking to Ecotune in Scotland who do a multi-map solution: economy, standard, and performance. They can map out the EGR, and limit low rev torque, hopefully avoiding the gearbox grenade scenario that could happen.

I'm investigating options for the turbo. Sadly, buying one in from abroad, while an effective solution, is also damned expensive. Current best case for buying in a refurbished unit (bearing in mind sending my old one back isn't economic, so I will incur a core charge) is GBP 550. Add shipping: call it GBP 650. That's $1300.

Then there's import duty and GST. Another $300 or so. $1600.

Steve doesn't like VNTs and probably with good reason, but I've asked him to see what he might be able to do. Like I said, exploring options... It's not his usual refurb material, but hopefully he'll not mind me asking. :unsure: (Fingers crossed!)

Aye. I've been talking to Ecotune in Scotland who do a multi-map solution: economy, standard, and performance. They can map out the EGR, and limit low rev torque, hopefully avoiding the gearbox grenade scenario that could happen.

I'm investigating options for the turbo. Sadly, buying one in from abroad, while an effective solution, is also damned expensive. Current best case for buying in a refurbished unit (bearing in mind sending my old one back isn't economic, so I will incur a core charge) is GBP 550. Add shipping: call it GBP 650. That's $1300.

Then there's import duty and GST. Another $300 or so. $1600.

Steve doesn't like VNTs and probably with good reason, but I've asked him to see what he might be able to do. Like I said, exploring options... It's not his usual refurb material, but hopefully he'll not mind me asking. :unsure: (Fingers crossed!)

The gst and duty is not a given, I have had stuff come through with none one or both Edited by kiwi535

I've not got away with anything so far - even some stuff that was sent abroad for repair and then returned had duty charged on it, despite all the export docs being in the folder on the return package!

The turbo replacement is stretching budget too far, but it is obviously better to pay hundreds now rather than thousands later if it should decide to let go. So I need to try to find some more economic ways to achieve the same thing.

There's all manner of things that can happen, and given the use my car has had, most of those things could be expected if the turbo hasn't been rebuilt or replaced. Based on what I've read, I could be well into borrowed time.

The speed control mechanism can get clogged carbon build-up, causing it to jam. This is most common if use is mainly lots of short journeys, but that's obviously not a problem for me (now, but who knows what happened before). Fuelling issues can also ccause problems with carbon build-up, and I probably should look at the injection nozzles to see if they are worn, too.

The mechanism normally jams either fully open or fully closed position, meaning no boost or too much boost. No boost and the car feels gutless, too much and internal damage (to the turbo) is likely especially in the GT1749V with it's 'discount' bearing set up.

The VNT aspect is designed to pretend to be two turbos in one. Conventional turbos use a wastegate to divert exhaust away from its turbine, but VNTs control boost by using moving vanes placed around the circumference of the exhaust turbine. These vanes can alter the speed at which the exhaust airflow hits the turbine and consequently vary the generated boost in the inlet. The vanes can get stuck, which may be what is happening to mine as low speed oomph is a bit lacking.

There's also the potential issue of old age and simply wearing out. This can lead to mechanical failure, but I think the bearings tend to go first.

And there are seals which can fail. My car has a tendency to produce squeaks or squeals under hard acceleration, suggesting an air leak.

Progress is slowing due to financial constraints. Fortunately my driving doesn't need to slow - it seems to make little or no difference whether I pootle at 90km/h, or make swifter progress, I get pretty much the same economy. Of course, the amount of time spent stationery or accelerating makes quite a difference.

In the meantime, I've been considering what else a higher mileage car could need. Back in the UK, with VAG cars, we used to reckon injectors would need looking at and possibly cleaning, recalibrating or replacing around every 100000 miles or so. Using that reckoning, my 320d should have had this done twice by now, but I've no record of it. This should be done in order to maintain good spray pattern and correct flow.

Secondhand injectors, which may need cleaning and/or recalibrating (and may even need coding - I need to check) sell for NZ180 up. EACH. Ffffflippin' 'eck. I bought a brand new set of Bosio nozzles for an Audi - total price was less than £150, or about $300. Ah - there's the difference (perhaps) - injectors vs nozzles. OK... So what nozzles are available? More tricky... Needs a lot more investigation.

While VAG diesel engines seem to be almost routinely tuned - over 300bhp from an old 2.5 V6 TDi anyone? - BMW diesel engine tuning involves a decat, bigger turbo and a remap. And that's it. No reference to fuel flow, nozzles or injectors that I have so far been able to find. I need to look harder, obviously.

I have a nagging feeling that economy isn't as good as it should be. OK, it's using a lot less fuel than a petrol-engined vehicle, but... And as curiously, there seemed to be smoother running from using some very expensive BP diesel instead of the usual diet fed from the local, much cheaper, Mobil, even when using a cetane booster.

I'm sure life is so much simpler for those folk who just have a car, drive it, and take it to the nice man at the garage for servicing and repairs. More expensive, and perhaps boring, but much simpler!

Another hurdle on the way to diesel-driving nirvana... Brakes. It'd be good to have some.

I knew the rear pads and discs were a little worn, but it'd be more accurate to say there's very little left. So... Time to get it sorted.

Thanks to Paul at MillAnd I have two new rear discs, and a full set (front and rear) of new pads with a pad wear sensor for each axle (one per axle on the 'cooking' cars - hotter models like the M3 got a pair of sensors at the front and a single one at the rear) on their way.

That's taken care of what I'll do with the several seconds of free time I may have towards the end of next week. Something else will have to wait - I'll do a full system brake fluid flush while I'm at it because I have no idea when it was last done.

Still, another job will be ticked off the long list.

Incidentally, the rear discs on my car are large than on some other E46s, even other E46 320d models. Brent was able to offer an excellent used set of discs and pads which I had planned to use, but they are simply far too small. The pad fittings look to be slightly different, too... Of course, this is the sort of thing you find out only after you've taken the brakes apart. :huh::( Not something I'd anticipated. (Note to self - carefully check RealOEM before buying anything, even if I'm sure it's the right part.

Still, that was attempt number one, and gave me the opportunity to clean and check the pistons in the rear calipers. At least I've saved myself that job for next time. (Still go the fronts to do, of course.)

So another set back on the turbo front, but at least the car should stop after I get that sorted.

I like the brakes on my car.got a little reminder today on why we need em, looked down to see why the fan was going harder than I thought,wasn't on auto, so down a click or two,look back to see truck had slowed right down to go into a drive,whoops BRAKE,only 2nd time I have the abs kick in,good stopping though

Edited by kiwi535

I miss the brakes on the 330. That f**ker would just grip on and hunker down like nothing else I've ever driven. Not the lightest car in the world but christ did it stop when asked to.

That would standardise the fleet very nicely! Are these the folk you sold the engine to?

I wonder how they know there are "no unknown problems"? Still they say it is a 318TDi with a 2000cc diesel engine!