gjm

E46 320d Touring - life with a high mileage car

That would standardise the fleet very nicely! Are these the folk you sold the engine to?

I wonder how they know there are "no unknown problems"? Still they say it is a 318TDi with a 2000cc diesel engine!

no the engine sold to a 320d sedan , silver ,high millage one.

That would standardise the fleet very nicely! Are these the folk you sold the engine to?

I wonder how they know there are "no unknown problems"? Still they say it is a 318TDi with a 2000cc diesel engine!

Well they are right I think,the 2000 cc blpck is used in the 118 120 and 123d??

Well they are right I think,the 2000 cc blpck is used in the 118 120 and 123d??

I had to look it up, but yes... The 118d uses the M47TU-series engine, too.

My surprise around the 318TDi comment was based on RealOEM where the car is listed as a 320d.

380,000km.

The car on TradeMe has passed the point where I can consider it as an accomplice in the driveway for the Touring we have... :-(

Still, it means there is space for something else. If only I can find the money to buy that something...

The TM 320d Touring (manual gearbox) sold for $10k.

My 320d Touring (auto) is in the 'shop' today, having the cat removed from the front downpipe. After 380000km it is unlikely to be operational as the mileage covered significantly exceeds BMWs projected life of the vehicle... Regardless, if it is less than clogged it will be a surprise.

The process is quite straightforward - remove downpipe, cut cat out of pipe, weld in a piece of pipe, and refit downpipe.

This will reduce the pressure on the turbo, and hopefully allow that to live a little longer before being replaced.

I'll update on any changes I notice, and so on, later.

The de-cat is complete. First impression is that the spool-up whistle is more noticeable; the cats do act as a sort-of silencer.

The engine definitely feels like it is breathing better. Perhaps just to say it is breathing would be more accurate? Running up through the revs, going to say 3500rpm between changes, those changes feel so much smoother than before. This could be attributed to the turbo being able to spin more freely, encountering significantly less resistance when blowing exhaust.

More economical? Who knows?! To check that will take some time, but it is not unreasonable to expect improvements in that area, too.

However, it's not all good news. At some point in it's less, before my ownership, someone has been under the car and had the turbo off. There's no record of this in the history I have, but hard-setting exhaust-sealant has been used when the turbo was refitted. This is a no-no - if any sealant squeezed through to the inside of the joint and then broke off, it could be bye-bye turbo. :-( This would have been done more than 4 months ago as it's certianly not been looked at while I have the car!

The hunt for a replacement turbo continues. There are issues there - it sounds as though gases are bleeding past the impeller when under hard acceleration. Easing on to the throttle doesn't cause the same problem, but sudden acceleration isn't all it should be.

380000 hey. We have a 330 coming up on 300000 and still feels strong as the day we got it.

Kinda goes against the general perception many people have of these things.

I think it's only perception because most people only get to own one when it's old and been through the wringer. If they actually thought about the number of 10,15,20+ year old bimmers on the roads they'd realise just how good they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's only perception because most people only get to own one when it's old and been through the wringer. If they actually thought about the number of 10,15,20+ year old bimmers on the roads they'd realise just how good they are.

Many cars are fine for much higher than average mileages, if they have been looked after. Unfortunately most people buy a used car at (say) 100-150,000km, and feel they have a bargain. Which they probably have. Unfortunately they have lost sight of the fact that it was a $100,000 car when new, and comes with the running costs to be expected of a $100,000 car.

And then the rot sets in - servicing is skimped, the cheapest possible parts are bought, and the absolute minimum done to keep the car on the road.

Not my car though. :D At least, not since I've had it. Sure, I'll save money if possible, but not at the expense of quality or if it means a half-done job.

• Like 1

Well through 390,000km. Planning the 400,000km party - probably in the next couple of weeks.

Just flew through the WoF with two minor advisories - slight leak from the transmission (didn't leak at all before Marshalls replaced the filter - new genuine BMW sump gasket provided... Hmm) and a rear half-shaft seal has a weep. Time to do some research and get that sorted.

And another oil change, of course.

General use has changed very slightly from the 115km each way trip to work, to 2 47km each way trips each day. Since we moved, it's been more sensible for Miss M to be ferried to school, up over the Bombays, by German Touring taxi than in a little hatchback.

Which reminds me - I must get the Mercedes sorted. Driving the Polo to work is OK, but more than a little uninspiring!

Remind me what the mileage was when you first got it?

It was something 224000+... I don't recall exactly. It'll be in the paperwork.

6 months later and knocking on 244000. Call it 32000km in 6 months. Increase has perhaps backed off very slightly to 'only' 1000km per week.

Well through 390,000km. Planning the 400,000km party - probably in the next couple of weeks.

It was something 224000+... I don't recall exactly. It'll be in the paperwork.

6 months later and knocking on 244000. Call it 32000km in 6 months. Increase has perhaps backed off very slightly to 'only' 1000km per week.

Uhhmmmm..... is my arithmetic out of whack here or have you been fiddling with your odometer? :ph34r: 400,000km, now that's worth a photo update :)

It's a translation. :-)

UK import car - has a genuine mileometer, and not a kilometer... err... ometer. Current reading is 242511 miles, up from 224000 miles. 18500 miles in 6 months, so not quite 32000km. Closer to 30000km.

Should see 400000km (~248500 miles) around the end of June.

This is a bit boring.

In the best possible way!

Tomorrow we'll pass 400,000km.

And other than that milestone, there's nothing to say.

Apart from, maybe, possibly, we're considering selling...

I've just read through your thread. Wondering how your trans is going? Some of the symptoms you'd mentioned are the same as I experienced on my 325i Touring (2002).... before it shat itself badly (at about 120,000kms (!) yep). Full rebuild, new trans cooler and hoses, and Penrite synthetic ATF. To be fair it shifts better now than a new sub-20,000km falcodore.

As I'm approaching 20,000kms since the rebuild I'm going to start the regular trans flush/filter/gasket replacement regime that BMW didn't recommend; don't get me started on lifetime fills. It seems the trans on our circa 2002 models is known as a weak-point, unless regularly serviced.

Hopefully your getting an ATF change and filter done has helped you avoid the wallet-shock (and unhappy expression from your other half) that I experienced.

Volvo 850's also 'feature' (suffer?) lifetime fills. Late last year we did a fluid flush on my 855-T5 at about 178,000kms, a relatively simple procedure. Ran 400kms with a little TransTune in there to help suspend the rubbish and address condensate. Then disconnected the trans output hose at the input to the cooler, and connected some clear hose. Ran the car up (through the gears until 1.9 litres of foul-smelling tar-coloured DexIII was emmitted, and shut down. Added 1.9 litres of fresh raspberry-coloured Fuchs Titan DexIII through the dipstick tube. Repeated until the fluid running out of the trans was clear and raspberry-red. This took us about 25 minutes and 14 litres; having bought a 20 litre container of DexIII, I was well made up. Added TransTune to keep things fresh, and the car shifts much smoother and quicker now. result.

Cheers

Edited by Olaf

I'm not having any issues... But most driving is on SH1 at highway speeds. All the same, it's been good around town, too.

Had it flushed by Marshalls in Hamilton, and frankly didn't notice any difference post-flush. That said, I saw what came out and it resembled dirty water... Definitely not good.

I'm not sure I agree with Marshall's assertion that it ought to be done every 20000km though: that sounds more like job creation (for them) than anything else. It does need doing more often than the BMW recommendation - never - though.

The trans in our car is a bit older, in distance terms at least. Every 50000km, perhaps? I think even the least optimistic manufacturers are suggesting every 80-100000km. It's not easy to do at home with no trans fluid dipstick tube to fill through. I may well go back to Marshalls, but will ask them to be more careful as there was a definite smell of trans fluid burning off the exhaust after they worked on it last time. Your process sounds a good one, but I would say that - it's similar to what I did when I changed the trans fluid on the Mercedes. :)

Manufacturers are optimistic about these things. According to BMW, engine oil should be changed every ~12-13000 miles, or nearly 20000km. I'm changing engine oil every 4000 miles or so.

Another oil change completed today - a little later than I'd planned, at around 4500 miles since the last one. Still means I'll do three changes to every one that the BMW computer says is needed.

While under there I remembered to replace the oil level sender.

It seems I swapped one light showing on the dash (the yellow oil can showed for 10 seconds or so to let me know the sender wasn't working) for another - everything appeared fine on the way home from work, but it looks as though a tail light has decided to give up while I was in the chip shop. The dash shows a red light, at least.

Still, it'll be an easily resolved item. Not like headlight bulbs... Have you tried buying one standard headlight bulb lately? Blue this, cool that, multiple different temperatures of all sorts... But nothing 'normal'! SCA had none at all, and Repco had to go and 'look in the back'. (This was a Sunday - sources were limited.) And then it cost more than many of the fancy aftermarket bling ones.

Looking forward to wearing out the tyres to be honest. Currently running on 215/45-17s which look nice, but I don't like them. They're at the width limit for a 7" rim and I feel they wander a bit, something I'd not noticed when running the 205/50s. It's just possible the extra width has marginally impacted fuel economy too, as we're not getting quite as far on a tank as we were.

We'll pass a recorded 250,000 miles tomorrow. 402500km, or thereabouts.

Another oil change completed today - a little later than I'd planned, at around 4500 miles since the last one. Still means I'll do three changes to every one that the BMW computer says is needed.

While under there I remembered to replace the oil level sender.

It seems I swapped one light showing on the dash (the yellow oil can showed for 10 seconds or so to let me know the sender wasn't working) for another - everything appeared fine on the way home from work, but it looks as though a tail light has decided to give up while I was in the chip shop. The dash shows a red light, at least.

Still, it'll be an easily resolved item. Not like headlight bulbs... Have you tried buying one standard headlight bulb lately? Blue this, cool that, multiple different temperatures of all sorts... But nothing 'normal'! SCA had none at all, and Repco had to go and 'look in the back'. (This was a Sunday - sources were limited.) And then it cost more than many of the fancy aftermarket bling ones.

Looking forward to wearing out the tyres to be honest. Currently running on 215/45-17s which look nice, but I don't like them. They're at the width limit for a 7" rim and I feel they wander a bit, something I'd not noticed when running the 205/50s. It's just possible the extra width has marginally impacted fuel economy too, as we're not getting quite as far on a tank as we were.

We'll pass a recorded 250,000 miles tomorrow. 402500km, or thereabouts.

What oil do you run?surely a synthetic will be good for at least 10k for your sort of running?check out the cost of buying the "bmw" oil from a dealer take your own containers and buy the quantity you need

I buy a new pair of bulbs when I need 1 and then keep the old as an emergency spare

Edited by kiwi535

Penrite Enviro+, errmm... Off-hand, not sure the spec. Only that it exceeds whatever BMW says it should meet. I did a lot of research before settling on this.

Greg Hantz reckons 7000 miles or ~11000km between oil and filter changes. The BMW computer says 13000+ miles, or well over 20000km.

In future, I may well opt for an oil change between filter changes: oil every 5000km or so, filter every other oil change. Keeps things sweet.

Penrite enviro + is bmw long life 04 rated.

Very good oil and on newer diesel cars is diesel particulate filter safe.

well. wow. that is a tonne of miles, how has the costs been thus far? as far as suspension and drivetrain bits go? (50 odd k kms in 10 months is no mean feat)

Edited by The Juggernaut