gjm

E46 320d Touring - life with a high mileage car

Yup... Gets pretty filthy, doesn't it?

It'd certainly been a while since the filter was replaced.

But it's worth another look.

My Style 45s are for sale. No idea if the price is right, fair, just or whatever... Someone let me know if it isn't?

One thing of minor concern is that ever since I had the gearbox fluid changed, there has been a smell of old engine oil coming through the vent in the centre of the dash, but normally only when I stop: it doesn't seem to be there while actually moving, and it is only that vent, too. At first I thought it was just some oil had got dropped on the exhaust, but 2.5 weeks later and it is still doing it. I've not been under the car to have a look for any leaks but there is no sign of anything being dropped on the ground when I've parked overnight.

could it be a coolant leak in the heater core?

Edited by kiwi535

could it be a coolant leak in the heater core?

It smells like old oil and it wasn't there before the trans fluid change, but was there immediately after.

However, I'll check anything. Looks like it has stopped raining here and maybe (just maybe) the weekend will be pleasant. In which case I'll have to postpone checking the quality of the Christmas wine and get under the car first.

Only time i had a smell like that in my e46 (at a stop) was related to the cam cover gasket was leaking.

Microfilter is a 30 sec job in the e46 but unlikely to smell like burning oil.

I'm wondering if when the gearbox oil was changed, a connection hasn't been nipped as well as it should have. Or perhaps old fluid was dropped on the engine under tray (currently held in place by cable ties...)

Today started well. Then it rained. A lot. Again. And I don't have anywhere undercover I can work on the car at the moment.

It stopped raining this afternoon. And I deferred a look at an M-Sport E36 to stay home and sort dinner, and look at my car. (The jury is out on whether this was a good idea.)

I pulled all the plastic cover stuff off the engine and decided to try cleaning the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. Simple enough - it's at the right front of the engine, easily visible. However, the clamp/band around the pipe to the left as viewed from the front (I'll work out what it connects to later) refused to release. It's not so much a Jubilee clip, as a welded-in-place clamp belt. Yup, it is actually spot-welded to whatever is underneath. Removing it isn't a quick option.

There was wet, dirty oil in the EGR housing, which I suspect can't be good. However, in the absence of any really good ideas, I chose the easy option and stuffed a plastic golf tee into the vacuum line connecting to the EGR housing. (Collected from the works 'do', last week. :))

Initial impressions are that the engine is more responsive. Hmm. Maybe. I'm sceptical, but corroboration from other forums suggests it may be true. Reports are that cleaning the EGR valve (not really possible, unless you can remove it) can improve economy by up to 10%.

Still, performance ain't the aim. Reliability and economy, while retaining existing performance, is. I'll give it a (careful) week and see how it goes.

Like this...? ;)

m3021.jpg

Only 16 spokes so they'd be much easier to clean than the Alpinas... :unsure:;)

Style 127. And only available (originally) in 19s; I guess replicas may be available in other sizes.

I had to do a double take there as that photo looks EXACTLY like my wagon outside my old house in the Uk - pretty freaky!!

Before I brought the car over I had a set of those CSL reps put on it, they are pretty cheap in the UK, 600 quid with tyres fitted and balanced for a set of 18"s pretty easy to clean. Look pretty good on the wagon, and not very common wheels, so look different.

The changes may be psychological, or maybe the needle on the fuel gauge was empathising with me and didn't want to move today. Regardless, I've done 100 miles (160km) and the needle has finally raised sufficient interest to lift itself from the (full) end of the fuel gauge. I know the car will do 200 miles on the first quarter of a tank, but don't recall it being quite this lethargic to start indicating before. Maybe the golf tee solution really has made a difference?

Driving style has, if anything, been more aggressive. Certainly the car feels more responsive at higher revs, which has encouraged me to use those revs more... :)

We'll see.

This pic from Realoem shows part 14, the EGR. The pipe pointing up at 11 o'clock is the one that caused problems yesterday; the thin pipe at the bottom right is the vacuum connection that I have disconnected, and blocked the pipe.

intake+%2526+egr.JPG

This image shows the culprit clamp:

exhaust+cooling+%2526+egr.JPG

Rightmost part labelled number 7. I cannot see how to free this from the EGR - it looks to be steel, and the EGR housing is (of course) aluminium. 10 years, and lots of miles later, they seem to have fused together. I can undo the clamp nut (using a 7mm socket) and even wind the band completely out of the clamp, but it just... will... not... let go of the valve housing. Even with the housing bolts all removed.

Oh well. Something for another day.

I had to do a double take there as that photo looks EXACTLY like my wagon outside my old house in the Uk - pretty freaky!!

Before I brought the car over I had a set of those CSL reps put on it, they are pretty cheap in the UK, 600 quid with tyres fitted and balanced for a set of 18"s pretty easy to clean. Look pretty good on the wagon, and not very common wheels, so look different.

I think the reps I have seen are made by Stilauto, and are model 'Racing C'. In 17x7.5" size they weigh around 11kg each.

Can't quickly find details of the 18" version, but haven't looked very hard. After all, it's 17s I'd be after! :) I know they were made in 8.5x17" et35 too, so there is the possibility of a staggered set up, although in the interests of simplicity and daily driving, a square set up has to be preferred.

With the clamp on the EGR pipe, are you prying the two halves apart after you have un-done the screw? It's not like a normal pipe clamp / Jubilee Clip, The clamp is in two C shaped halves, which do tend to stick on to the pipe. Use lots of WD40 or freeing oil and get a small screwdriver in the join and gently prise them apart - only then can you get the flanged end of the pipe out from the clamp. (Hope that makes sense - not easy to describe)

Just a quick search on eBay UK, these are not the ones I have, but similar. Why do you want to go 17"s? I have the MSport suspension and the 18s are still ok, even on the rough kiwi roads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-CSL-style-wheels-BMW-3-Series-E36-E46-E90-E91-E92-E93-Touring-Compact-/221209716175?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item33812065cf#ht_2314wt_3974

I couldn't (*) see that the clamp was in two halves?!? There seemed to be a continuous metal band around the outside, which appears to pull down on something which compresses and clamps on to the join between the two pipes. I was very wary about attacking this as I had no replacement clip, and I really didn't want to end up with a dead car in the drive!

The 17s are as much for retaining as much ride comfort as anything else. Putting 18s on my car now wouldn't look right and would require suspension work to suit, something I don't have time or money for at present.

I can get a set of 4 used 17x7.5s for no more than $500, probably less. The (single) 17x8.5 (but wrong pcd) was new and offered in Germany for €59. Useful only as a guide price.

Edit: (*) - somehow I missed the n't from couldn't - completely changes the meaning and tone of the post. Sorry!

Edited by gjm

I think the reps I have seen are made by Stilauto, and are model 'Racing C'. In 17x7.5" size they weigh around 11kg each.

Can't quickly find details of the 18" version, but haven't looked very hard. After all, it's 17s I'd be after! :) I know they were made in 8.5x17" et35 too, so there is the possibility of a staggered set up, although in the interests of simplicity and daily driving, a square set up has to be preferred.

20130809_101417.jpg

17x7.5 et38(ish). Very tempting... B)

Ya know ya want to......................... ;):)

They do look rather nice... :unsure: If someone had bought my 45s it'd be so much easier!

Ahh, true, but umm, no - doesn't work like that here. ;):) See, what you've got to do, is buy these, in order to take them away from being there as a choice out in the marketplace, thus then leaving your 45's as the only option.........cos at the moment, anyone looking at your rims will snaffle these instead........

Once again, 'welcome to NZ'............ :D

Lol. It's the same everywhere. :)

The space isn't such an issue - the money is. Bad time of year for buying naked rims, but I'll see what I can do.

Probably 80% of us are screwed money-wise at this time of the year, & it'll only get worse after Xmas...............buying these means its 500 slides your wife ain't gonna waste on trivial $hit for Xmas like tinsel & flashing neon reindeer etc...........you're actually helping keep her focused on big items for Xmas, honest...... ;):)

Probably 80% of us are screwed money-wise at this time of the year, & it'll only get worse after Xmas...............

That's probably why they are for sale!

buying these means its 500 slides your wife ain't gonna waste on trivial $hit for Xmas like tinsel & flashing neon reindeer etc...........you're actually helping keep her focused on big items for Xmas, honest...... ;):)

Would you mind terribly if I say "but Blue-540i made me do it... He was so persuasive and reasonable"?

You've not met my wife. She's cuddly and fluffy, honest. And not at all handy with a big frying pan.

:D;)

Lols, yea, I'm well used to taking the team hits for lots of $hit that aint my fault................. :) I'm just 'lucky' like that......... :rolleyes:

I'll sell it nother way @ ya then - after XX?? yrs married, does she with the frypan still expect to be getting round in $20 gymshoes, or have her tastes evolved a little bit upwards...........your little beasty car that does so many kms a week is much the same - after 600,000kms, it wants some blingy feets too......... ;):) You can tell I'm in sales ae, ice----------------------------------------->eskimo's is a breeze......... ;):rolleyes:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=672453396

breyton vision 18x8.5

these used to be one of my dream wheels for an e46 but seeing as i dont have a bmw anymore these wont go to any good use sitting in my garage..

i know they're 18s but i think they look great on an e46 maybe you could be interested.. pretty pricey tho if you include tyres...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=672453396

breyton vision 18x8.5

these used to be one of my dream wheels for an e46 but seeing as i dont have a bmw anymore these wont go to any good use sitting in my garage..

i know they're 18s but i think they look great on an e46 maybe you could be interested.. pretty pricey tho if you include tyres...

Sweet... But (personally) I think they'd look better on an E39 5-series. Certainly suit a darker coloured (blue, green, black, maroon) car very well. Just imho, y'know. :)

Any pics of your car?

Post #55, page 4 of this thread.