M3AN

M3AN E36 M3 PLOG (Project Log)

So, after some trials and tribulations I got the undertray installed today but she's not ready to drop off the stands because the tray fouls the sway bar (at full droop). Perhaps they haven't found the perfect solution? 🙄

It will be easy enough to fix by trimming ~10mm off the rear of the tray but that shouldn't be necessary. I've gone back to Turner, who have been great so far, but I can't imagine what type of solution they can offer.

That issues aside the tray is awesome and locks the whole front end, including my new arch liners together, it's far superior to the jumble of stock plastic bits!

Mounted.jpg

Sway_Bar_02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

Just grind some notches in the sway bar, will be mint as bro! ;)

• Haha 2

But why ruin a good sway bar? I could just remove it altogether and put it up for $1 reserve, I'll come out ahead that way. 🤔 

Does the bar clear at ride hight and only hits it at full droop? If thats the case why not just leave it and move on, the only time you're going to be full droop is on a hoist/stands.

8 minutes ago, KwS said:

Does the bar clear at ride hight and only hits it at full droop? If thats the case why not just leave it and move on, the only time you're going to be full droop is on a hoist/stands.

Yes, it's clear at normal ride height... but not if I got airborne!

Sure, it will only make contact under limited circumstances but it shouldn't at all really. I'm regularly putting my cars on stands and wouldn't want to bother with this every time, you can't really remove it or put it on unless you undo the drop links or prop up the hubs. I don't think getting it cut would be that expensive but I've not explored that yet.

If you need to cut it give me a yell, I have a plasma cutter that will make holes in it!

• Thanks 1

The Turner undertray - I've measured up the required cut and, as you can see, this is not a trivial or marginal fitment issue. With the bar set to the softest setting (rearward holes) I need to shave 30mm off the tray, with the bar set to stiffest (forward holes) I'd need to shave a whopping 40mm off the tray.

Measured_and_Marked.jpg

Edited by M3AN

I took both under trays around to @aja540i place this afternoon to get them cut to measurement with his plasma cutter and the results are fantastic, I couldn't be happier. He made short work of it too. Thanks Andrew, you're a legend! 😎 

I got one cut back by 30mm and the other by 40mm to allow for a few variations in sway bars. I'll hopefully fit the one I want to go with before Bathurst kicks off tomorrow.

Cut_03.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Thanks 1

Fitted up the 40mm cut version today and it's perfect with my swaybar set to the hardest setting. Pic is of car with both front corners at full droop. Ace, thanks again @aja540i. 👍 Now, to work out how to get these fabricated locally, plate itself is easy, brackets are a different proposition. 

40mm_Fitted.jpg

• Like 1