Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

Unbelievable, how much these cars have depreciated. Still $3900 for an E39 in good condition is a steal. Why did they sell it so cheap? I saw a few riced out ones but even those were asking 7K+. Do you have a link to your ride? I am curious to see just what you got.

You are right on brother, i am going to go for it, lets see how Graham finds it, the red one seems to be the only one I found that I like on tm apart from the other one in Christchurch (your neck of the woods lol), although the interior is falling apart in places as usual, but it has some options and a good service record, its just that I think the owner of the red one might react in a negative manner if I made the offer just yet. So Waiting till I get some feedback from Graham, who knows it could be that it looks good from the outside but drive and motor is crap. I think I will take it if she lets it got for 3.5K or grab a nice 540i.

Soooooooooooooo, this decoded means that C200 is getting closer...........???? :D

Edit - BTW, how ya get on with what Westie has got up there?? As in, that's north of here, but south of you.............

Edited by Blue-540i

Right - I've got everything sorted here. Time to go home.

Where'd the sun go? It was lovely out, earlier. :(

Sorry Mojo - won't be today. Monday is a possibility, but would it be worth just making your offer and seeing what she says? You know you're in for suspension and/or wheel changes, but the other things you mentioned don't sound like show stoppers.

Another day bro, another day...no worries. Its like 10 now. Gotta suck doing all that work yourself inside some office. Hopefully your workmates will come over next week and you will get off early. :) I dont want to make her my offer just yet you know. I think she might think I am trying to low ball her out of whats the car worth, and If I paid her 5K I will be letting myself pay more then what the car is worth with all the minor problems. Besides what if it turns up you were right and the car drives like crap. you never know until you test it out. But I will get in touch with her anyway.

hope you have a good weekend :)

Excellent mate. I don`t know how to upload photos of the beast in question. I`ve had an e30 320 and an e34 535 previously. My e39 was a Dad buy then passed to his son . Always a family car, so the back seats were worn as well as the front. Had a mate in Auckland check it out. It was smoking, needed a rocker cover gasket. I had the oil filter housing gasket done as well.

Got a new battery after it played up during the first couple of weeks. Got the leather done by fibrenew in chch. Put new discs and ceramic pads on the front( Try ceramic pads mate..no brake dust and $100 dollars for the pair )

Good servicing history, cooling system all done. Best car I`ve ever had, and I owned my 535 for 8 years. The good news is that online forums tend to be about the bad stories..people that love their cars keep a low profile. That`s why I really enjoy this website, everyone loves the brand. Buy a used BMW after doing you homework, and then budget maybe $1500 to tidy it up a bit. Then you`ve got the ultimate driving machine. And keep looking after it.

Excellent mate. I don`t know how to upload photos of the beast in question. I`ve had an e30 320 and an e34 535 previously. My e39 was a Dad buy then passed to his son . Always a family car, so the back seats were worn as well as the front. Had a mate in Auckland check it out. It was smoking, needed a rocker cover gasket. I had the oil filter housing gasket done as well.

Got a new battery after it played up during the first couple of weeks. Got the leather done by fibrenew in chch. Put new discs and ceramic pads on the front( Try ceramic pads mate..no brake dust and $100 dollars for the pair )

Good servicing history, cooling system all done. Best car I`ve ever had, and I owned my 535 for 8 years. The good news is that online forums tend to be about the bad stories..people that love their cars keep a low profile. That`s why I really enjoy this website, everyone loves the brand. Buy a used BMW after doing you homework, and then budget maybe $1500 to tidy it up a bit. Then you`ve got the ultimate driving machine. And keep looking after it.

Nice post dude!! ;):) And with Style 42's on my little beast, I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo gonna search the world for some of THOSE brake pads I'm thinking.......like I try to avoid using brakes as its just momentum ya gotta gain again but damn that dust makes a mess when ya do......... :(

If you read the 'help' section mate, it's primo for the how to load pics bit, I use tinypic.com for it, & seriously, if I can load pics, anyone short of licking the windows while inside 'that bus' can ae........... ;):rolleyes::)

Set it for 800x600 size I think from memory.......... ;)

Edited by Blue-540i

And another thing about mucking around on tardme. My car had the 16 inch turbine mags that they were sold with new. When the lads at Victoria Street motors did my first warrant they let me know that `Ahem Jonesey...the tyres are marginal..please replace them before next warrant...or sooner. `.

So I went looking on tard me for 17 inch M Sport Wheels And tyres. Found a guy in Napier selling a set with tyres that had done 5000 k`s. They were off his 540. He wanted $500 , I couldn`t believe it. A guy from Auckland was on the listing pestering the seller for free freight. I`m in the freight business so I hit `Buy now` . I figured the tyres were worth $500 When the wheels arrived at work I had a double take when I saw the BMW stamp on the inside of the wheels, I thought they may have been rep`s. They weren`t... the seller was a good guy.

• Like 1

And another thing about mucking around on tardme. My car had the 16 inch turbine mags that they were sold with new. When the lads at Victoria Street motors did my first warrant they let me know that `Ahem Jonesey...the tyres are marginal..please replace them before next warrant...or sooner. `.

So I went looking on tard me for 17 inch M Sport Wheels And tyres. Found a guy in Napier selling a set with tyres that had done 5000 k`s. They were off his 540. He wanted $500 , I couldn`t believe it. A guy from Auckland was on the listing pestering the seller for free freight. I`m in the freight business so I hit `Buy now` . I figured the tyres were worth $500 When the wheels arrived at work I had a double take when I saw the BMW stamp on the inside of the wheels, I thought they may have been rep`s. They weren`t... the seller was a good guy.

Lols - good stuff. Even by the law of 'averages', including the days you'd throw back if it were a fish, ya gotta win sometimes!!

There are still goooood ba$tards out there - I had a primo guy send me some majorly needed Landcruiser bits from Chch this week overnight via Tredeme. It all comes a bit unhindged though when theres stuff at a gooood price, but buyers still want to take the pi$$ a bit, like you say with that guy from Akld, or when maybe buying 328's / 540's / 330's / 318's etc etc etc :D:)

Looking at these 2. :)

Not 328i's, I know; But I am considering them if the 3 series falls

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540i/auction-684192294.htm

^ I like this but its got a tow bar and its green :(

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540i/auction-683146522.htm

^ The Wheels are Black, Otherwise I like it a lot, however this seems a bit overpriced.

That green one is the 1 I told ya about the other day............. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the towbar will unbolt, & yea, I'm not a fan of green either, but that looks sweet IMO in that colour etc........ ;):)

I don't think ya should buy a E34 540 though ae.......... :)

The black one looks boganised a bit IMO.......low kms though. Its not overpriced really, as you only seem to offer half the asking price anyway....... :lol::rolleyes:;):)

Edited by Blue-540i

How much did you pay for yours, blue? Cant decide if the wheels are better over the stock genuine ones, looks like wheels I saw on a cheap honda once. other then that I really like it. :)

For the asking price, most e36's dont look like what I expected them to be, I wont pay 4 -5K for a car that has interior falling apart and many small mechanical faults. So I figured, hey if a 540i's gonna be just as fast as a 328i, I might just go that route. Not sure if girls would like the 5 series over the 3 though.

I offered the guy 6K on that black 9K one. But the he wouldn't budge. So Green one it probably is.

here you go....only difference now is that its got an AC Schnitzer exhaust

@isis. Whats that? a 328i or a 318is? That yours and are you selling? :D

Can't remember what I paid for it, but I'd sell it for 10k. Although to you, I'd let ya have it for 5k. ;) And if ya offered me less than that I'd seriously slap ya silly, twice, just to save us having to go through a process........... ;):)

Theres a few pics in showroom I think - it's much like the green one, but newer, similar kms etc.

96 323i - yep

@isis. Whats that? a 328i or a 318is? That yours and are you selling? :D

Edited by isis

Mojo old son...you have got to pull that trigger. The rest of us can`t stand the suspense. The green one is a great looking car except for the wheels. He`s asking e39 money, but maybe the e34`s are getting collectable ? Blue will know more about that, I know I always fancied one when I had my 535.

PS; Don`t worry about whether the babes will go for it or not...rely on that far north charm and hit that button. I find it`s easier to buy on Trademe after a few fizzy ones, you will get the congratulatory message in your inbox the next morning in case you`ve forgotten what you`ve done.........

IE: sh*t...I`ve bought a Porsche !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Can't remember what I paid for it, but I'd sell it for 10k. Although to you, I'd let ya have it for 5k. ;) And if ya offered me less than that I'd seriously slap ya silly, twice, just to save us having to go through a process........... ;):)

Theres a few pics in showroom I think - it's much like the green one, but newer, similar kms etc.

Not too bad of a deal ;) you know I might just.....ummm....you ever run her against any 3 series cars? or maybe any aussi or yank cars with it? Like the v8 holdens? I hate holdens, the drivers look like aussis too, bloated overweight faces with that stupid cheap hair gel and huge rims.... :rolleyes:

96 323i - yep

PM Me some details and how much you were looking for it. :P

Were you ^^^^ on the amber Fanta's last night too then...............??? :D You've brought a Porsche..............??!! :unsure: Pics are needed!!! But yea, you're right on the other stuff, suspense etc..... :rolleyes: I can see Allan wandering down the road soon to speed the process up a bit........haha!!

Yea, E34's tend to be a bit funny - good ones are worth good money, dogs aren't sorta thing........ :)

Funny - I don't mind the wheels on the green one - far better than the stupid 20's on the other one IMO...........!!! (Auctually, I've just found a AWESOME use for 20" tyres while having a few in the shed last night - whack 275's in half & they make primo mudguards for my logsplitter........) ;):) I'm thinking it needs a stubbie holder now.....

Edit - Awww faaaark - you're baaaaaack, much like Arnie............ ;):D Nope, not run it against anythink else........don't need to as I've heard the 540 is a bit sloooooooooooooow ae........ :) Gotta admit it sounds as good as any HSV now though.......not that I'm a huge Holden fan. :)

Edited by Blue-540i

Mojo old son...you have got to pull that trigger. The rest of us can`t stand the suspense. The green one is a great looking car except for the wheels. He`s asking e39 money, but maybe the e34`s are getting collectable ? Blue will know more about that, I know I always fancied one when I had my 535.

PS; Don`t worry about whether the babes will go for it or not...rely on that far north charm and hit that button. I find it`s easier to buy on Trademe after a few fizzy ones, you will get the congratulatory message in your inbox the next morning in case you`ve forgotten what you`ve done.........

IE: sh*t...I`ve bought a Porsche !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear ya, Jonesey :P just a couple more days, just till graham goes in, pops the hood open, shabang, takes the red car down the motor way. that would make my options more clear, meanwhile I am trying to get in touch with the owner of the green 540i. Hes says he will include the stock wheels and hes asking like 5k, which isn't a bad price I guess? (but really e39 price?) How much should I offer him? I am sure I can work something with him (4K - 4.5K). ;)

I have bought like 6 cars from tardeme over the years, 2 of them were lemons that i lost money selling right away. one one car I made like $2000 profit selling after 1 year.

"next morning in case you`ve forgotten what you`ve done........."

:D:wub::lol::)

Edit - Awww faaaark - you're baaaaaack, much like Arnie............ ;):D Nope, not run it against anythink else........don't need to as I've heard the 540 is a bit sloooooooooooooow ae........ :) Gotta admit it sounds as good as any HSV now though.......not that I'm a huge Holden fan. :)

Yep...I Am Back.....again... :D the wheels on the red one is around 18 but they are genuine bmw motorsport. I still dont like em, too big. But I hear the e34 540i can do 0 - 60 faster then a 328i and 330ci? I have been doing some reading this morning and its supposedly as fast as a e36 m3 with a Chip, :ph34r: you just gotta floor it on the auto. Did you get an after market muffler for it or tried running straight pipes? :)..Why dont you go out and see a 0-100 KM on it. :D ....

Edited by MoJoJoe

No mate, I haven`t punted $30,000 that I don`t have on one of the world`s fastest VW`s...but I still think keyboards should have some sort of breathyliser on them to stop those sorts of things happening. I even have desktop icons to Porsche sites...

I have got You tube vids of old 911`s giving it the full jandal around the Nurbergring, complete with screaming noises in German accents...

One day I`m gonna get a scale model of a 911 for the bookshelf..

I guess we all need a hobby...

Ive driven that green one and wasn't that impressed, exterior and interior were pretty decent but for 5k id expect aircon to work and transmission didnt shift the greatest.

Thing you got to realize about E39's is compared to the E34 they are more complex so more things to replace, more things fail, not as well built and alot more crappy plastics. They are more comfortable, have more features and handle better than the E34 but they less feel less of a drivers car compared to the E34 imo.

Ive driven that green one and wasn't that impressed, exterior and interior were pretty decent but for 5k id expect aircon to work and transmission didnt shift the greatest.

Sealed for life automatic? I had the fluid in mine changed, but I'll bet there are thousands out there, at 150000km and (much?) more, running the ATF the factory put in.

Mojo...I thought the ad for the green 540 said $9500 buy now ?

Na, That was the gunmetal greenish gray car. I offered that guy upto 6K but he said he rather keep the car. (he babies it)

here is the car I was talking about - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=684192294

Thing you got to realize about E39's is compared to the E34 they are more complex so more things to replace, more things fail, not as well built and alot more crappy plastics. They are more comfortable, have more features and handle better than the E34 but they less feel less of a drivers car compared to the E34 imo.

Thanks, I guess I could fix the compressor and the auto gear box will need a fluid change, it brings back the life in these automatic transmissions. I am probably looking at around $500 at most for the AC and gearbox service. I dont think I like e39 as much as I like the e34. anything else you found that wasn't okay? How was the handling and suspension?

Sealed for life automatic? I had the fluid in mine changed, but I'll bet there are thousands out there, at 150000km and (much?) more, running the ATF the factory put in.

*bmw lifetime fluid. hahahahahaah..... :rolleyes:

heard the transmission got some work done on the red car.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Cheers Jared, I`ve just been checking my e39 for `Crappy Plastics`and can`t find any, I`ll ring the previous owner and ask him what`s going on.I don`t want to miss out on anything.

You bet and wouldn't be surprised, least they are pretty reliable.

Na, That was the gunmetal greenish gray car. I offered that guy upto 6K but he said he rather keep the car. (he babies it)

here is the car I was talking about - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=684192294

Thanks, I guess I could fix the compressor and the auto gear box will need a fluid change, it brings back the life in these automatic transmissions. I am probably looking at around $500 at most for the AC and gearbox service. I dont think I like e39 as much as I like the e34. anything else you found that wasn't okay? How was the handling and suspension?

*bmw lifetime fluid. hahahahahaah..... :rolleyes:

heard the transmission got some work done on the red car.

I drove it from cold and took at least a few hundred meters to change up a gear, i was driving a 3000rpm @ 50kph for a long time which was a first for me. Sort of put me off it at that point and didnt really give it a real good drive, it handled bad compared to mine but thats to be expected.

Cheers Jared, I`ve just been checking my e39 for `Crappy Plastics`and can`t find any, I`ll ring the previous owner and ask him what`s going on.I don`t want to miss out on anything.

Crappy may have been a bit strong but it depends what you are comparing it to. Japanese have far better plastics in general but thats German law for you

Comparing to the E34

Interior & exterior in general - whole alot more used in the E39 to start with and worse quality, recycled plastics for you.

Things like seat bases,door handles, shitty cup holders, interior trims, Cooling system- fan shrouds, expansion tanks, thermostat housings etc. Tap a E34 dash then a E39 haha.

Dont get me wrong I like E39's but quality wise they just aren't as good overall.

• Like 1

Dammit, I'm going out, this here is CLASSIC though............too much other stuff & not enuff time for a 1 fingered typist here but I'll be baaaack too - we continue the VDub yarn etc laters............ :);):)