Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

High miles on bmw engines?

E36 and E30 are totally different cars, how anyone could get passionate about an E36 (other than an M3 i guess) i dont know. As far as comparing an E30 to a Corolla though, call me biased and the defencive responce, but you must have driven a pretty terribly maintained one to claim that.

having said that, nothing wrong with any 6 cylinder E36 really. Suffer similar issues to the E34, glue often fails in the headlining and door cards, plastic cooling systems have long since perished and just waiting to give out, etc, but as long as you are buying from someone that is a bit quirky (and therefore more likely to be somewhat OCD in maintaining thier 20 year old BMW) you should be ok

Drove a 2004 Falcon , IT fell of the road .

I did my evaluation of the E30 when they were relatively new and decided to buy an Alfa instead - more power better handling and FASTER . It also proved to be very reliable. I have driven probably more than 60 different E30's in my time all apart from the M3 were a SNORE.

Fell of the road? Nothing to do with how you were driving it?

Out of curiosity, what '80s Alfa was quicker than a 325i. GTV6?

Personally I was more of a 80's Merc & Chevy guy, Yes I currently have a jap car and I have driven Nissans, Hondas and Subarus too. The thing with the e30 is..... well for me its the shape of the car, i cant get myself to like it. e36 seems to have a more refined styling while keeping some of the retro looks, nor can I get myself to like the e39 or e46 much for the record, apart from the msport variations. So neighbor had a e30 I think and although I may agree you feel more attached to the road, thats about it. Buying one off the shelf honestly doesn't feel like a very good deal, honestly even the e30 m3 didn't seem to offer much, If I'm correct it was a revy 4 pot and made 190HP. My first bmw was a 318is e36 that I bought some 5 years ago, I think they now go for half what then used to, so that may influnce my decision, but to me the e36 is still overall a better car, imo, although the e30 maybe a better drivers car.

Drove an e36 .. fell asleep .. true story :D

:o

proof! ............that it is a better car. :lol:

E36 and E30 are totally different cars, how anyone could get passionate about an E36

in 10 years with some gray hair I will probably be saying this to some guy about the e46.

but point taken Andy :)

edit: all that said, how do e30 motors go as far as mileage? Are they better, more reliable and longer lasting then the motors used on e36 cars at the same km's?

Edited by MoJoJoe

Really? are you going to ask about every bmw engine built? as every single person has already said, the engines will go for a very long time provided they are looked after. You can't expect any car to work for you day in and day out with just a oil service every 10 thousand k whether it be in a E30 or an E36.

I saw a guy with an E28 M5 who owned it from new with over 400 miles on the clock and that's possible because he has obviously maintained it.

Just find something you like get it checked, test drive it and buy it if you want. Ill tell you now though I bet you the engine will be the least of your worries ;)

• Like 1

Personally I was more of a 80's Merc & Chevy guy, Yes I currently have a jap car and I have driven Nissans, Hondas and Subarus too. The thing with the e30 is..... well for me its the shape of the car, i cant get myself to like it. e36 seems to have a more refined styling while keeping some of the retro looks, nor can I get myself to like the e39 or e46 much for the record, apart from the msport variations. So neighbor had a e30 I think and although I may agree you feel more attached to the road, thats about it. Buying one off the shelf honestly doesn't feel like a very good deal, honestly even the e30 m3 didn't seem to offer much, If I'm correct it was a revy 4 pot and made 190HP. My first bmw was a 318is e36 that I bought some 5 years ago, I think they now go for half what then used to, so that may influnce my decision, but to me the e36 is still overall a better car, imo, although the e30 maybe a better drivers car.

:o

proof! ............that it is a better car. :lol:

in 10 years with some gray hair I will probably be saying this to some guy about the e46.

but point taken Andy :)

edit: all that said, how do e30 motors go as far as mileage? Are they better, more reliable and longer lasting then the motors used on e36 cars at the same km's?

You gotta own and really drive an E30 to appreciate them. I was really never too attracted to them at first but after buying one to see what the fuss was about i was hooked

End of the day a nice E30(esp the M3) will always get plenty of attention and respect unlike some

We all know you are a E36 fanboy etc etc so even im going to say just buy one already

The only good thing about the e36 is taking their engine and putting it into an e30.

• Like 1

You gotta own and really drive an E30 to appreciate them. I was really never too attracted to them at first but after buying one to see what the fuss was about i was hooked

End of the day a nice E30(esp the M3) will always get plenty of attention and respect unlike some

We all know you are a E36 fanboy etc etc so even im going to say just buy one already

hehe, maybe one of these days i want to see whats this fuss is about.. whats the going rate for an e30 m3? or whats the next best thing it? I know a good 36 m3 can be had for around 15K ~ 20K. But I am afraid a good e30 m3 would cost just as much if not more.

very soon Jared, I'm 90% there,...very soon...

just looking for someone to free up so they can tag along with me to pick up the car(which ever one I pick the one with 140K or the 300K) :)

E30 M3 is more expencive than E36 M3, half as much to twice as much again.

however when you start throwing the M3 word around, things start to change.

The rational decision would be to choose the E36 M3, much better engine than the S14, better rear suspension to make the most of the power etc

The enthusiasts or investors decision (providing the have the paper) is the E30 M3.

M325i coupe, in manual of course, probably the best value for money E30 if you are wanting to keep it stock (ie not bother about engine swaps), and can be had for less than $10k even tidy ones. But for how much longer? hard to say. and will they appreciate more than a Motorsport 328i E36 coupe? also hard to say, but probably more likely.

But I have seen (as well as most of us here that get our hands dirty here) BMW engines in all sorts of states of repair, and whats on the clock is probably a less than 10% indicator of what condition it is in.

E36 and E30 are totally different cars, how anyone could get passionate about an E36 (other than an M3 i guess) i dont know. As far as comparing an E30 to a Corolla though, call me biased and the defencive responce, but you must have driven a pretty terribly maintained one to claim that.

having said that, nothing wrong with any 6 cylinder E36 really. Suffer similar issues to the E34, glue often fails in the headlining and door cards, plastic cooling systems have long since perished and just waiting to give out, etc, but as long as you are buying from someone that is a bit quirky (and therefore more likely to be somewhat OCD in maintaining thier 20 year old BMW) you should be ok

Not sure I'd claim to be passionate about mine, but 190ish hp & 185ish ft/lb (well, at least when it left the factory!) with a manual box & LSD is enough to keep me entertained :) Sure, they're hardly earth shattering figures, but not everyone can afford an M. (Or a cracking great V12, for that matter ;)) For what my old hack is, it gives me a decent amount of entertainment without being a strain on either my wallet or my patience.

And I'm pretty sure I'd feel a hell of a lot safer driving an E30 than a Corolla!

As for un killable - killed 3 Subarus in 4 years (all expensive turbo models) E36 has taken everything I have thrown at it over the last 10 years and never fails to impress.

No supposed: cooling system problems , chassis failures, electrical failures or nasty handling surprises or brakes not up to the job which was a real issue on the Subarus.

Subarus are easy to kill, but conversely they are easy to keep alive as well. Like any car, the mantra is MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN. oil changes every 5k, oil+filter every 10k. The brakes on the povo pack turbo models are average (WRX.GTB/RSB) etc, but are easily upgradeable to sti units which are significantly better. However, I had standard calipers and discs on my RSB, and paired with a set of bendix ultimates and a master cylinder brace, the thing would stop on a dime. Provided the brakes were hot, that is.

Everything with to do with how I was driving it- I expected it to at least stick as well as my 1995 Corolla company car , however it didn't ---- just like most Falcons & Holdens of the last 40 years , heavy in the front , light in the arse under-tyred and auto - kicked down mid corner and let go.

325 was only as quick as a 1750 Alfetta - the Alfa was faster on the road because it made more mid range torque

GTV 6 would totally slaughter a 325 - read any comparison from the early 80's and the Alfa always came out on top for handling and performance.

My Alfa was not stock - had factory high compression pistons, GTA style cams matched to a Carbon air box / induction system built by me and proper racing extractors designed by me. Net result was 120kW in road mode and 145 kW in Track mode. And being a 116 chassis it was perfectly balanced unlike 6 cylinder E30's.

I had 2 GTVs - a 'Strada' which was the 2-litre, twin cam model but fitted with all the nice trim, suspension and brake parts from a GTV6, and a South African race-spec GTV6 3.0.

Only ever had two issues with them (aside from the usual look after them well) - rust, and adjusting the parking brake. Fabulous things.

Lots of common sense in here re maintance etc.

Rumour has it that a new Hilux 4WD diesel, will do about 28,000kms with no maintance at all from the showroom floor, before it Chernobyl's it's motor, (even though it shows full on the dipstick.....) ;):rolleyes:

Apparently that's not covered by warranty for some reason...........

• Like 1

Lots of common sense in here re maintance etc.

Rumour has it that a new Hilux 4WD diesel, will do about 28,000kms with no maintance at all from the showroom floor, before it Chernobyl's it's motor, (even though it shows full on the dipstick.....) ;):rolleyes:

Apparently that's not covered by warranty for some reason...........

It must have been a good one! By that milage it should have been in for a clutch and at least an injector - surely the dealer would have given it an oil change then?!?!? ;)

• Like 1

Lols - harsh ba$tards - my 'tweaked' 06 ran 120,000kms with some hard off-road use at times, was a Targa chase unit one year, etc etc, & never did anything bar normal maintance to the girl - even on big tyres was still on the original clutch when sold....... ;):)

Don't get me wrong, E36 is a great car too. As far as E36 I have had go, I have only owned a 318i/M and 318iS/A that chassis, also did a fair bit if mileage in a 320i/A at one point, and im sure 328i go as well if not better than e30 325i, but the drive is boring, and you don't need a big engine to know that, one of my E30 316i were one of the most fun cars I have owned

Take a e36 m3 for a spin then andy. That's a fun drive :)

Edited by euroriffic

Will have to come steal yours, don't think Greg in the bay will let me drive his!