Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 LSD compatability...

Now to figure out if the Quaife is $500 better ;)

It is... it really is.

Yeah yeah.

Looks like Quaife is the way to go... When I can afford it. Similar or less money to M5 kit, brand new and less hassle to install. Should be able to get one shipped from the UK for sub $2K... But I don't have $2K at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, the Wavetrac unit is considerably cheaper. Think Suresh uses one (looks like it's the same part # as E39 540i as well). Should be able to land this one for sub NZ$1500.

LOL - it's the same one as mine Julian!

For me the price difference between the Quaife Unit and the Wavetrac was $50

I knew Quaife was a well known brand in motorsport and wanted to know why quite a few of the high HP N54 models were putting the wavetrac lsd

I ended up going the Wavetrac due to its technology difference, to me it was the better technology - it would never operate as a open diff while the Quaife could in certain conditions

http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm - "how its different tab"

Gavin & Ross @BMWorkshop were a bit unsure about my option - but the comments i got from them it was a well machined and they were impressed at the quality of the LSD

For me the Wavetrac LSD has been brilliant and its worked as intended :D

Edited by mod335

So, you'd recommend this, Suresh? http://www.phantasmusa.com/bmw540ie39.html - Wavetrac LSD for US$1,170, compared to Quaife around GBP900.

Hey Julian,

Not sure about the vendor link (never bought anything from them)

Do you know if the Quaife model that applies to the E39 is the same as the 335i? (quick check at hpashop.com shows them for around $1400 US)

Has anyone reviewed the Wavetrac LSD on the e39 on the forums etc?

From my point of view - the technology behind how the wavetrac operates is superior to how the Quaife Unit works - but i am sure someone can chime in

Jooles needs an e30. He just doesn't realise it yet.

Josh thinks everyone needs an E30 :ph34r::P

If the McLaren P1 and the MP4-12C can do with an open diff, so could you Jooles :P:P:P

You're probably right, Tom! Will drive it for the foreseeable future with open diff and see how it is... While I save for an LSD.

I have an open diff and a bit of power, in a daily/ family car, I doubt it's an issue. Wet starts can be a bit annoying, but I'm not convinced an LSD would fix that.

The LSD will make the car feel more predictable as to when it begins going sideways. You would also have more control during the slide. Corner exit traction will also benefit as you have power being distributed more evenly to the driven wheels instead of power/torque being sent to the wheel with the least traction. On the road, especially in Auckland traffic, no real benefit really. Jooles has plans to do some track work so it will really come in to effect there when the car is being pushed.

Yeah, I know all that Martin, but if you worry about getting the power down with maximum exit corner speed in a family car, you'll have a much bigger problem than wheelspin. Vomit.

• Like 1

Yep, LSD will be for when - finally - I get the thing on the track and, even then, will probably be a while before I have the confidence to exit the corners fast enough to need the LSD!! haha

Yeah, I know all that Martin, but if you worry about getting the power down with maximum exit corner speed in a family car, you'll have a much bigger problem than wheelspin. Vomit.

:D

haha. You also develop a high speed whine from the passenger seat area....

I have that already.

haha. You also develop a high speed whine from the passenger seat area....

I just enabled the setting on the car that turns the music up as the speed increases :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you got the wrong setting and hit the 'reply 5 times option' LOL

As with all strange/annoying noises a car makes: 'if in doubt ring it out'

A bit of overly spirited driving seems to make all the noise go away in our family wagon...