Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 LSD compatability...

Anyone know if a 3.64 LSD from a manual '88 735i would fit an E39 540iA without too much fiddling about?

When i was researching it the only factory options with minimal work needed were the usual E39 M5 diff with various drive train parts and a guy using an E36 M3 evo diff: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php/topic/28932-how-to-fit-an-lsd-into-your-e39-for-less-than-l500

The M3 route seemed the best option as your only real expenses are M5 diff cover(around $500NZD) and E36 diff which shouldn't be hard to get for and would be <$1k.

There is no swappable diff for the E39.

Need something like a Quafe Diff or a complete E39 M5 Subframe and drive shaft.

E39 540i's The life of the one wheel tyre fires.

ring kain barrie motorsports and see if he can make something up

When i was researching it the only factory options with minimal work needed were the usual E39 M5 diff with various drive train parts and a guy using an E36 M3 evo diff: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php/topic/28932-how-to-fit-an-lsd-into-your-e39-for-less-than-l500

The M3 route seemed the best option as your only real expenses are M5 diff cover(around $500NZD) and E36 diff which shouldn't be hard to get for and would be <$1k.

I think that's a bit beyond my capability.

There is no swappable diff for the E39.

Need something like a Quafe Diff or a complete E39 M5 Subframe and drive shaft.

E39 540i's The life of the one wheel tyre fires.

Yep, so Google is telling me... Rather than swapping the whole diff is it possible to rip the guts from the stock diff and replace guts from from a large case LSD (e.g. 3.23 or 3.64 M3) or would they have to go into LSD case and require subframe/driveshaft swap? Forgive my ignorance, I know next to f*ck all about differentials.

ring kain barrie motorsports and see if he can make something up

Will do.

What about the guts of a e34 540 lsd

Oh wait they are about 2.9 ratio

Edited by kiwi535

What about the guts of a e34 540 lsd Oh wait they are about 2.9 ratio

I'd love a cheap(er) option but it doesn't sound like there is one for the E39.

Are you looking to do everything yourself?

The E39 M5 diff swap is probably the easiest but im not sure it its easy to obtain one?

For the E39 M5 diff sway you need the M5 propshaft and LSD , you swap out the output flanges with E32 units so you can use you 540i shafts

Ideally do it myself but I think rebuilding a diff is way beyond my limited expertise. I think sourcing an M5 diff will be tough too unless I buy from overseas but then it gets very costly. Hence why I was looking for cheap alternatives (e.g. pulling the guts out of something cheap like an E32 LSD) but obviously that's much easier said than done.

There is no cheap or easy option. There is no direct swappable parts for the stock diff housing unless you buy a Quaife unit.

http://quaife.co.uk/node/3815

Though Geoff down in Wellington had a full E39 M5 Rear End quite a while back he may still have.

User name: FIAT 131R

Edited by driftit

Thanks Dan.

EDIT: I like the simplicity of the Quaife LSD but 2 grand by the time it's shipped, etc is still 2 grand! Might be driving for a while with the open diff.

Edited by jeffbebe

I don't own a cap.

EDIT: Seriously though, would love to learn how to drift properly... But not to hoon, just would be great to know I could handle most situations.

Edited by jeffbebe

easy ,one manual 318i and one wet paddock loads of fun

easy ,one manual 318i and one wet paddock loads of fun

With a locked diff :-)

Agreed lots of fun, did this a while back with an old Hilman Avenger with a 1600 and 4 speed.

There is no cheap or easy option. There is no direct swappable parts for the stock diff housing unless you buy a Quaife unit.

http://quaife.co.uk/node/3815

Though Geoff down in Wellington had a full E39 M5 Rear End quite a while back he may still have.

User name: FIAT 131R

Still have it Dan from a 2003 M5 including the diff, 6 speed manual gearbox, driveshaft, sub frames and half shafts. Can even do an M62 4.4 litre engine, obviously the engine is not from the same car.

• Like 1

Budget

EDIT: Plus I like the slush box, despite popular opinion!!! Maybe because autos were rare when I grew up in the UK... Exclusive!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jeffbebe

Vote for ban due to auto love.

Will the auto still shift well with extra power?

I would be adding a decent trans.cooler into the mix. Preferably thermostat controlled or similar. Takes pressure off gearbox and engine cooling system

Plenty of guys in the states who've supercharged autos with no problems. Trans cooler is a good idea though and on my list of nice-to-haves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jooles needs an e30. He just doesn't realise it yet.

seriously, Have drive a couple of Quaife diffs in higher HP cars and its been pretty good. They really make the car handle so much better in the corners even compared to a standard LSD. Definitely worth the $$$. Think of it like a set of matched shocks and springs... gives the same sort of wow factor.

Jooles needs an e30. He just doesn't realise it yet.

Yeah yeah.

Looks like Quaife is the way to go... When I can afford it. Similar or less money to M5 kit, brand new and less hassle to install. Should be able to get one shipped from the UK for sub $2K... But I don't have $2K at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, the Wavetrac unit is considerably cheaper. Think Suresh uses one (looks like it's the same part # as E39 540i as well). Should be able to land this one for sub NZ$1500.

Edited by jeffbebe