Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

DIY, or leave it to the experts?

Reco the torque convertor,(great time to get every last drop of old oil out of the system).

Swap out GM module and maybe ign. switch.

That should sort 95% of your issues.

Get us to do it (can`t be done for free) or ask for help from these well meaning bimmersporters who have been giving you their pearls of wisdom.

The solution is very simple.

• Like 1

Reco the torque convertor,(great time to get every last drop of old oil out of the system).

Swap out GM module and maybe ign. switch.

That should sort 95% of your issues.

Get us to do it (can`t be done for free) or ask for help from these well meaning bimmersporters who have been giving you their pearls of wisdom.

The solution is very simple.

Cheers Ray..

No doubt I will be back to you in a couple of weeks with the car

Already had planned the things that you said need doing at the top of the list, until the trans started making some pretty knarly sounds, so trans has been bumped up to to the top, with GM, Radiator Flush and Ign Switch coming close behind.

Thought maybe a fluid change would be simple fix, hence me asking for a DIY, but after some thoughtful consideration, it will probably be back to you guys with a bit more on the plate other than a GM and Radiator Flush :(

Some of the UK guys do run plain fluid. A lot of them probably get plain fluid from unknowing garages. It probably wouldn't hurt as a short term thing, if you want to flush the box, or test it for a couple of weeks. You could put cheaper stuff in to try it, and see if it helps. Then get it flushed properly later.

I've heard of a number of transmissions failing after flushes that were used to try to fix a problem though :(

I also wonder if your voltage issue could be part of the problem (I haven't heard the noise though :PI have some youtube issues :( )

OHHHH , tobe 20years young ger and single.! would service you for free if you turned up in that little number in your sig.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the UK guys do run plain fluid. A lot of them probably get plain fluid from unknowing garages. It probably wouldn't hurt as a short term thing, if you want to flush the box, or test it for a couple of weeks. You could put cheaper stuff in to try it, and see if it helps. Then get it flushed properly later.

I've heard of a number of transmissions failing after flushes that were used to try to fix a problem though :(

I also wonder if your voltage issue could be part of the problem (I haven't heard the noise though :PI have some youtube issues :( )

Yeah, after grabbing some know how that it could be more than just new fluid to sort out the problem, will be sending it to Ray and go from there..No point spending money where in the long run, it might not be needed. Rather get it done once, and get it done right. This car is popping problems from every corner, I just want her running smoothly so I can go have some fun! But hey, you pay to play, and I think it will all be worth it once shes running smooth and sound :)

Female on Bimmersport, and everyone jumps in with their advise lol!

• Like 3

OHHHH , tobe 20years young ger and single.! would service you for free if you turned up in that little number in your sig.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's why the profile views have increased drastically... it's the picture ;)

I figured I needed to look at least half as decent as the car!

Female on Bimmersport, and everyone jumps in with their advise lol!

It's because we know nothing :) So we need that extra advice...

No, I do appreciate the input and experiences from everyone, it's great to learn 10 different ways to screw in a lightbulb ;)

There are too many witchcrafty-requirements to do it yourself really. Angle as said above, filling temp within an exact range, fitting to fill it with, getting fluid all over self and fiddling with the horrible little bolts that hold the pan up, also the fact that usually 2/3 of the fluid stay in the car.... Probbaly more problems than that even.

Will be 250-300 to get it flushed and is well worth it. Fat man on couch vs. broken ankle is a perfect analogy, and anyway you'd have to have a metal ants nest very lightly attached to the smallest fluid passages in there for flushing to 'do damage'. All they do is flow fluid through just like everyday driving, except new fluid this time!

All I can say is that if me, the incompetent mechanic, can revive a VANOS unit then you can certainly revive a diff without creating an irrecoverable situation! Go for it and good luck!

Haha! Love your attitude! :)

Well if you try and then run into trouble you know who to call for sympathy! We can chew the fat and throw spanners at each other as the experts laugh at us.

I'm pretty sure the job is simple enough, I think it's the time factor that needs to be weighed up. For example it was economical (cost/value) for me to do my VANOS myself but was not economical (cost/value) for me to swap out my clutch hose myself.

Key considerations are "how much time will it take me and what's that worth?" and then "how much will it cost to fix if I screw it up?". Then it's just maths (which I'm pretty sh*t at anyway!). ;)

Haha having a good laugh reading this.

You are very true, but I can see the issue without a hoist, I don't think I will come out with blonde hair anymore.. will be more brunette in colour lol.

I guess if I do stuff up, will have to probably tow it to someone who can do the job right, and then pay for fluid all over again (which is bloody expensive!) PLUS I have to consider the fact that fluid/filter might not fix my issue, and it might need more internal issues sorted, and then I have to pay for it all over again! I think if I was just banking on the fluid fixing my problems, I'd give it a go, but because it's making some pretty angry sounds at me, I will get the experts (eg Ray lol) to have a look over it for me and get the plan from there :)

OK boys, this thread has run it's course. 3 pages to answer one question? At least we now know the way to get an answer around here.

Better warn admin that we'll be expecting an influx of new "female" members.

• Like 3

OK boys, this thread has run it's course. 3 pages to answer one question? At least we now know the way to get an answer around here.

Better warn admin that we'll be expecting an influx of new "female" members.

Ah hahahahahahahaha............. best thread in ages!

Woops, sorry :/

Thanks for the tips, opinions and advice though everyone :)

its emily / mouse all over again. but i dont see glenn offering his services this time.

its emily / mouse all over again. but i dont see glenn offering his services this time.

Shall we stick to the topic at hand then, last I checked it was Bmw's :)

For those who did contribute their two cents, thank you. It got me chatting with the 'pro' and have sussed to get the TC recond as that will be best option - suss out any issues and get new fluid all at the same time.

Cool. Will be interesting to hear about the difference that makes. Have you looked into getting a better cooler installed while the fluid is empty?

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Ahh thank you Jason, didn't even come forward in my mind!

Will do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure no one has pissed in your fuel tank?

• Like 1

Are you sure no one has pissed in your fuel tank?

Unsure if this is a joke or a genuine suggestion, but no, nobody has 'pissed' in my fuel tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to do a DIY Tranny filter and fluid change, but its too hard for me to have the car level while i'm under it as I only have 2x axel stands, also I had know way of knowing if I had the tranny fluid at the correct temp.

I ended up paying my mechanic to do it, they told me the old fluid was pretty much black, not so good.. probably the original stuff, at 128,000k lol.