Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Possibly moving to Wellington. Some questions

I just got a great new job offer and will be taking it. I'll initially be in Auckland until about July, when I'll have to move to Wellington (that's where the main HQ for the company is). :-)

So I've actually never been to Wellington yet; even though I've pretty much visited every other major and (almost) minor city in NZ. Just wanted to ask about suburbs, mechanics etc. any information would be useful.

1) Best suburbs inside the city? (suburbs with: nice houses, nice views, relatively close to city ~5-10 mins drive)

2) Suburbs to avoid / high-crime suburbs?

3) What are some notable BMW/euro mechanics in Welly?

I'll be moving with my gf so will be looking for at least a 2 bedroom place to rent somewhere not too far from the city. I wouldn't mind if it is slightly outside of the CBD, in a more family friendly neighbourhood - so long as it is within 10-15 mins drive to the city. I heard rent is a little bit cheaper than in Auckland (seems to be from what I've seen on trademe). If any of you from Welly could suggest a suburb that might be a decent choice it would be great. My budget is about 350-500 a week for rent.

Some friends have told me to avoid some suburbs such as Newtown. From some research: Te Aro, Kelburn seem fairly close to the city and a good choice. Although I've seen some nice places a bit further out near Karaka bays etc., which I wouldn't mind.

Last question: Any decent serviced apartments near the city area? Planning to stay in one of these, or a hotel as a last resort, for a couple weeks before finding a place to move into.

Thanks in advance for any info. :D

depends if you want a flat section and a garage included in your rent budget, if you do, you will be looking at the Hutt Valley, any of the southern suburbs is fine, doesnt get mucky till about naenae, but thats getting too far from the city anyways. Alicetown/Petone area is really good if you can find something, 4 train stations to choose from on the two lines, 10 minutes to town off peak. I have lived in various suburbs of Hutt Valley all my life.

Otherwise, could get a one bedroom apartment in the city for your budget, so Te Aro, Thorndon. Next band out like Mt Cook Mt Vic Brooklyn, all still walking/cycling distance if you are reasonably fit already.

Nothing wrong with Newtown, lots of Hippy type people out that way lol. Avoid Kelburn, the Uni is there so a lot of the houses are student flats and you wont be sleeping at night even during the week.

Try and avoid Porirua its like its own city over there. but Johsonville, Tawa etc is fine, no idea what prices are like there i have never lived out that way. These are about 10-15 minutes to city off peak, but traffic isnt as bad as Auckland.

Hope this all helps :)

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

If you are driving to work then I assume you have a car park.

During peak hours you will be lucky to drive into Wellington from anywhere in 10-15 minutes and pay 350 bucks rent.

Wellingtonians fit into one of the following categories:

Kapiti Coasters (Waikanae, Paraparaumu, Paekakariki, Pukerua Bay) There is a goog BMW independent, Mike Page European, in Paraparaumu. It is a 40-55 minute train commute and a good 40 minute drive into Wellington - it gets very busy in the morning and evenings. The weather on the coast is better than the rest of Wellington.

Hutt Valley (Upper Hutt - cold in Winter, Lower Hutt - okay but avoid Naenae and Taita, Petone - eclectic mix of young and old) Good train service 20-40 minutes, 20 minute drive from Lower Hutt on a good day.

Johnsonville & Newlands (Cheaper rents but can be cold and very (very) windy) 15 minute train service from Johnsonville.

Broadmeadows, Khandallah, Ngaio - all expensive rents but an easy 10 minute drive to town.

Jeff Gray BMW located near Ngaio

Tawa & Grenada - Okay but can be a bit damp, lower rents. 12-15 minutes to Wellington.

Central city (Karori, Kelburn, Aro Valley are very expensive but also low cost student rentals.)

Newtown is expensive for what it is - forget it

Island Bay is popular but a bit isolated. These are a 25 minute bus ride into Wellington city. Nice area

Plenty of apartments available in central city

Mt Victoria, Roseneath, Oriental Bay - Expensive...forget it

Through Mt Vic tunnel to Kilbirnie & Hataitai 15-20 minutes on the bus to town - Popular rental spot

Lyall Bay - Popular spot for surfies

Maupuia & Miramar (airport noise) Seatoun (isolated) - forget it.

Buy a coat.

You don't need a coat. Unlike Auckland we don't appreciate flashers down here. Just leave your coat in Auckland.

Don't go for views, choose to be out of the southerly.

I live in Churton Park, not a bad suburb, flat section... bit windy, but newer houses and bus to town (45mins) or train from JVille...plus its right on state highway 1.

It'll come down to personal preference, if you need any help let us know.

Can I ask who are you joining?

Edited by far4ngn

Thanks for all the replies guys, lots of detail and very helpful :-). I'll listen to the various advice given and have a look at some places for rent in those areas. I can increase my budget a bit if needed be, but would prefer the 350-500 range. Max i'd go for 600-650, but it's pushing it!

Can I ask who are you joining?

I will be joining Xero.

Yup good company, I've a few ex colleagues working for them now :)

If you need anything just shout out.

I would recommend Khandallah/Ngaio area not only because ive grown up there, but because its in the middle and close to everything but still out of the way enough. Its 10min (off peak) to the CBD, 10min to the Hutt and a short 5min drive to Johnsonville where there is a shopping centre etc. If you are prepared to pay, Mt Vic and Thorndon are great areas super close to the city.

I lived in Wellington for 20 years, take a coat. And some merino.

• Like 1

I live in Hataitai & it's 8 mins on a bus to town. I work near the Xero HQ. there's plenty of new apartments going up in the city so keep an eye out. Wtgn city is a great walking town. You can walk pretty much anywhere easily so avoid the car, rent in town and walk it would be my recommendation.

You should be able to locate a apartment close to your work with a carpark for a decent rate.

What he said. I lived in Hataitai, great spot, close to town, but not in it. Can walk home pissed through the bus tunnels and there's (or was) a good local pub.

Still need a coat.

so avoid the car, rent in town and walk it would be my recommendation

Unless you have an M5 of course :)

hey!

I'll have you know I catch the bus everyday. the M5 sits tucked up in my garage :)

But yes Hataitai is ridiculously easy to get to town. But it's still a suburb. We have some of the best takeways also.

$10 taxi to town. $20 to the airport.

A good coat & gloves are a must. Don't think you can get away with an umbrella. It screams tourist.

• Like 1

What are some notable BMW/euro mechanics in Welly?

JKSE are in Welly.

Yes it's cold, but no where near as cold as say, Dunedin. In winter you'll notice that the Wellington uniform for all and sundry is a black puffer jacket. As for BMW mechanics, I've only ever used Mike page in Paraparaumu. Top bloke, top service, very reasonable hourly rate

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'd look at Mount Vic. It would be about 10-15 mins walk to Xero's offices and about the same distance to Courtney Place for some decent restaurants and bars (I can recommend The Hawthorn Lounge for Martinis and Dragonfly for Asian Fusion) . You should be able to get a decent 2br house with off street parking for ~$500pw.

Amsterdam European in Lower Hutt are also good. They work on all my BMWs/Euro cars.

Page European Home St city.

Hataitai would be good, Mt Vic,10 min walk to Cortenay pl.You can walk everywhere in the cbd.

Trouble with welly is a hell of a lot of houses dont have garages.

Northland/Wilton is also close to town,bus service quite good to wilton end there good afternoon sun.Kelburn is a funny suburb,lots of student flats but other good rentals as well,again garaging rare.

Lots of serviced apartments along the terrace,may get a rental place up there,2 minutes to lambton quay,but again garaging hard to get.

I'm cracking up - you're moving outa Auckland, to Welly, so Darren can move to Auckland.............1 out, 1 in, both ways.........

You'll be right - Darren will leave ya his coat & gloves.......... ;):)

hahaha..... yeah I was thinkin that.

If you are in the market to buy a sweet pad close to town hit me up. I even have a weekender in martinborough if you like to get away for the odd wine wknd!

deals for BMsport members!!

:)

why don't you come to Welly for a weekend and check it out?

And what is this about Dunedin being cold? Have you had a look outside today?

just rent each others houses.

Done.

^^^ what he said. I grew up in Wainuiomata, so I can confidently say avoid there. I'd prolly suggest Haititi, but just pop down and have a look around- the aspect of the house is probably 6000% more important than any view ;)