Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

E39 540i - Project Log

I have decided after a bit of a chat with a few other enthusiasts, that I should create a nice thread regarding my E39 'Project' as such. It will be very basic, and follow the work that has/will be done on her, but I am no expert in any sense, so don't expect an amazing read - I will leave that up to the professionals :D

So Monday 17th of Feb, a day after selling my much loved E38 728i, I upgraded to a 1997 540i (M62B44)
She currently has 170,000 k's sitting on the clock, but is very tidy and clean, and completely stock. I took her for a test drive, but the impulsive joy of driving a V8 Bmw with one of my many favourite motors, saw me buy it right there and then without doing the ideal thing, and getting it scanned.

Sadly, after 100ks of driving and eventually rocking on home from her purchase, she stalled dead in my drive-way without the ability to restart, so she became the very new project sitting on my front lawn.

And so the list begins! All My work is done with Ray & His Team at HellBm.

Work Completed:

- Camshaft Position Sensor replaced (18/02)

- Fuel Pump Replacement (18/02)

- Ignition Switch replacement (28/02)

Fine and well until grunty sounds from the transmission area appeared so:

- Torque Converter Reconditioned (10/03)

- Transmission Service (2 & 2 come together lol)

- Left Wheel Speed Sensor replacement

She has finally come right, but as the usual, you can never not have anything to do on a BMW, so the 'to do' list follows :D

To Do:

- Exhaust system sort out

- 02 Sensors,

- Coolant Flush

- Oil change/Service

- Coby Performance Muffler (or whatever you want to call it, fart can etc) to replace stock Mufflers

- Angel Eye Installment

- Sort out Rims, Plasti Dip current until new rims catch my eye

- Potentially Motorsport front & rear bumper (or just buy a MSport :D)

- Windows tinted to 35%

- Interior trim to be changed from the old 'wood' look to Ali look.

This is a long term goal list and I am sure there will be issues pop up to be added as with any thing automotive, but I am loving the challenge and the reward of having a better car than when I started.

And to add to the weekly care regime, she gets 6 hours spent on cleaning her every week :ph34r:

post-32854-0-48878200-1396228788.jpg

post-32854-0-16884300-1396228802.jpg

post-32854-0-66770600-1396228806.jpg

post-32854-0-62128200-1396228810.jpg

post-32854-0-82988500-1396228819_thumb.j

post-32854-0-87513500-1396228822.jpg

• Like 2

Well done you. Wish I could get this enthusiastic about mine....

• Like 1

Well done you. Wish I could get this enthusiastic about mine....

Haha, there have been times I wanted to pull my hair out when reading the fault codes, but there has never been a negative side to it (yet) as the drive after a replacement or improvement gets me grinning from ear to ear - okay, technically the use of extra money on her could be classed as a negative :P

What is up with yours? (if you don't mind me asking!)

• Like 1

Nice one! I assume the angel eye look would come with an allround facelift lamp upgrade?

also for the alutrim, do you intend to get a set from a wrecker or get your current ones wrapped?

Nice one! I assume the angel eye look would come with an allround facelift lamp upgrade?

also for the alutrim, do you intend to get a set from a wrecker or get your current ones wrapped?

I am not a phased regarding a total revamp - Angel eyes can plug straight into the park lights wiring (I believe, it's on the idea list, but haven't looked fully into it at this stage) vs the wiring stage of FL to PFL lamps...

I guess the cost of a revamp has me outweighing other, much more needed places the funds could be spent and a $30 halo ring import cost compared to a few bigger 000s added on pretty much has me sold.

And Ideally will get the trim from a donor car, but if none is available will wrap or look at other options. First and foremost is getting the mechanical side to her running as perfect as can be :)

If you want to get it sounding a bit nicer without spending much, you can cheat!! I drilled a 40mm hole in the back of the standard resonator, ( the one at the back with no outlet ) sounds quite nice without being obnoxious, and took about 10 minutes with a holesaw and battery drill!!

Not sure if its because i grew up in Northland, but I'm happy with it:)

Keep up the good work, its always nice to see someone improving a car instead of driving it into the ground!

• Like 1

If you want to get it sounding a bit nicer without spending much, you can cheat!! I drilled a 40mm hole in the back of the standard resonator, ( the one at the back with no outlet ) sounds quite nice without being obnoxious, and took about 10 minutes with a holesaw and battery drill!!

Keep up the good work, its always nice to see someone improving a car instead of driving it into the ground!

Haha! That is gold, have never heard that one before.

I will see how the Coby's go - since I already have them sitting here :P

• Like 1

I does actually sound REALLY good - not too loud, but loud enough to asound purposeful.

WAY better thean my Neighbours fairly new XR8 - especially as it goes around Mojojoe corner :D

Awesome. :)

6 hours a week cleaning?! Intense!

Interesting that the torque converter had gearbox issues.. was there an explanation?

Edited by Michael.

Awesome. :)

6 hours a week cleaning?! Intense! 

Interesting that the torque converter had gearbox issues.. was there an explanation? 

I live Rural - gravel drive, so either 2 washes a week or a wash and interior clean and condition.. It is my baby!

I think age to be fair, and also a very blind history with that car. A lot of TLC and time to be put into her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tony you need to learn a thing or two from her re: rural driving.

Was nice to meet you on Sunday, car looks rad!

• Like 1

Aint no way you're gonna catch me spending 6 hrs a week cleaning...

• Like 2

Aint no way you're gonna catch me spending 6 hrs a week cleaning...

Female - comes with the gender unfortunately.

Wish I spent that much on cleaning my house though.

Check the for sale thread... Had no intention on selling her but have found another I just can't seem to stay away from..

And well, I can't keep cheating on the current, she might find out and get a bit grouchy... Lol

Yeah, she posted the news in the FS forum, also 1 extra HP avail for around 12k...

Goes through cars faster than I go through women!

Added another HP, so 2 extra now!

At least I can say my car ownership has been more than my men.. I know which one a guy would go for :D

Sent from my KM-UQM11A using Tapatalk