Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

This arsehat..

There may also be more to the belt issue as well..... idler bearing, tensioner and sprag clutch in the alternator pulley

• Like 1

There may also be more to the belt issue as well..... idler bearing, tensioner and sprag clutch in the alternator pulley

He reckons the bearings on all the pulleys are fine. No noise from it when it was running also. Are we going to have a piss up for your 10,000th post Glenn?

:rolleyes: 'Gems' like this Clinton, are probably not helping in your quest for a Blue Commydore...................... ;):)

Come again lol? I'm a bit thick. Edited by The Diesel Guy

Hi Clinton, Sorry to hear about your trouble with the new arrival as you have found out the n42, 46 's are not very row bust they leak, cough and course all manner of stress cases for their owners. Have a few bits left over from my old n42 when I did he trans plant if I can help out give use a call but If i may throw it as far as you can or do you own a boat ( sorry it wouldn't be heavy enough) :D and get a six in their.

This is the owner paying you back for not paying his jacked up 5k price.

Did'nt you want a GMH Group 3 Blue thing....................

Yeah I'd love one but the $$$ this here isn't a bad alternative.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=714800849

Cheers for that Alan. If I had to do a conversion a M57TUD30 would be the go :)

This is the owner paying you back for not paying his jacked up 5k price.

The repairs won't ever get that high. Can't see it going over 3-500 in absolute total and that's with doing an absolute full service with hose, belt, fuel, oil, air filters and oil for piece of mind. Sadly I think I'll be on selling after that. The car just doesn't enspire any confidence but I will get it right. Won't be sold half assed. Truth is the car is absolutely immaculate body wise.

Yeah I'd love one but the $$$ this here isn't a bad alternative.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=714800849

Cheers for that Alan. If I had to do a conversion a M57TUD30 would be the go :)

You mean like this one? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQpE6JWmpw

Hi Clinton southern determination is what 's called for now just keep chipping away at those problems. As Glenn has lightened to N42's will lighten your wallet as for replacing radiator hoses etc on these it will not take long to blow 300. Another bit of bad news if you are not aware already the n42 has a vacuum pump, rear of motor their "O" rings fail and the pump fills with oil and it can get spread through out the vacuum system. Let us know how this project unfolds for you.

Yep, I'm not bothered at all. Worst case, we've found a new engine for 1500 bucks done 60kms.

Ok with all the problems these engines have would be wanting some guarantees on it for that sort of money that is steep even if it has 60k on it imo.

Ok with all the problems these engines have would be wanting some guarantees on it for that sort of money that is steep even if it has 60k on it imo.

Yup, this was just a quick look on TradeMe. If need be will do the research properly yup.

Are we going to have a piss up for your 10,000th post Glenn?

I'm glad you reminded me Clinton.... I really don't won't to go there, and I don't think I should

• Like 1

So all done. Car is idling normally now with those cables sorted. All up I'm around $450. This includes :

• New fuel filter
  • New oil filter
  • Penrite full synthetic oil
  • New air filter
  • Rear brake pads (the light was on when I got it - the guy said it just come on, but the bloody brake sensor wire was cut!)
  • Brake rear sensor
  • Main drive belt
  • Bottom hose
  • Temperature sensor (the o ring broke when putting it in on the new one!)

The only thing I really have to get done now is the rocker cover gasket which I'm going to order tomorrow. Just a FYI, I've ordered all the parts bar the hose from MillAnd here in Dunedin. Once we'd made payment, the goods were delivered here within an hour and a half. Great to deal with.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

When you do the rocker cover gasket....only use a genuine gasket set, bolt seal kit and sensor flange or it will leak again...... coming from an old prick that doesn't know what he's talking about :D If it still leaks buy a whole new RC

When you do the rocker cover gasket....only use a genuine gasket set, bolt seal kit and sensor flange or it will leak again...... coming from an old prick that doesn't know what he's talking about :D If it still leaks buy a whole new RC

I've been using this chap here, parts are made in Poland.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/other/auction-713273037.htm

No disrespect intended to Milland... but I did say ^^^ up there.....use genuine gasket set & bolt seal kit, or fit a new rocker cover complete. You also need to make sure CCV valve is operating correctly, along with breather hoses etc

So all done. Car is idling normally now with those cables sorted. All up I'm around $450. This includes :

• New fuel filter
  • New oil filter
  • Penrite full synthetic oil
  • New air filter
  • Rear brake pads (the light was on when I got it - the guy said it just come on, but the bloody brake sensor wire was cut!)
  • Brake rear sensor
  • Main drive belt
  • Bottom hose
  • Temperature sensor (the o ring broke when putting it in on the new one!)
The only thing I really have to get done now is the rocker cover gasket which I'm going to order tomorrow. Just a FYI, I've ordered all the parts bar the hose from MillAnd here in Dunedin. Once we'd made payment, the goods were delivered here within an hour and a half. Great to deal with.

Fully synthetic? That's like giving a drunk teenager a bottle of Grange

• Like 2

More like giving someone with the shakes a martini glass

Fully synthetic? That's like giving a drunk teenager a bottle of Grange

Yup. This bad boy..

post-2864-0-17470700-1396947858.jpg

Clinton, Good advise given by that gentleman these motors are bad news give them a cc and they will deliver a litre on your garage floor plus a whole lot of bad smells plus an empty wallet sorry if this is getting repetitive just trying to give you a heads up.

Yup, this one is going back on TradeMe as soon as everything is sorted on it :) Have no confidence in it.

Yea, get rid of it before you get attached to it.

Mine has leaked in many places and after fixing all the leaks we discovered the valve guide seals were toast and thats a $1600 - $2000 job on these motors.

Have u got any smoke out the exhaust if you let it idle for 5 minutes and then rev it hard?