Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

E39 540I gearbox noise

Hi guys

Recently my 00 E39 540I NZ New ( sorry not too sure what the number of the ZF box is)has starting making a whining/scraping type noise from the gearbox when cold, and very minimal when warm. I'm assuming box as it doesn't make the noise untill I engage a gear eg D or reverse. It sounds like a slight whining or scraping, the sort of noise youd get if you sprayed belt grip on a belt and had a worn tensioner bearing combined. It is relative to revs, and gets very loud intermitently on gear changes. Seems to be no problems with engaging and changing gears. I've had it scanned and it threw no codes on the box. Has anyone has this sort of issue or aware of what it could be? I realise I may be asking a how longs a piece of string question sorry..It was supposed to be going in for the gearbox oil filter etc thursday week, but the place doing the service does not have the facility to pull apart and rebuild if needed. So if it sounds like the box is on the way out I'd rather cancel the service and spend the money on a new box.

Cheers in advance

My E34 box made that noise before it failed. You could try getting it flushed, but you may be up for a new box or manual swap.

Sounds like torque converter. If you've caught it early enough a service and new oil might save it but if it's already making that kind of noise it's probably on the way out. Ray recently did a tc repair for Amber-Leigh on a 540i for a very reasonable amount. I suggest a quick call to HellBM or one of the other forum sponsors for proper diagnosis and repair if required.

EDIT: My 540's still for sale with no such problems ;)

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

Yea I had done a few google searches and it did sort of throw around the idea of the torque converter. Can this actually be diagnosed or is it something that has to be changed and see what happens? As I say, its still working changing etc perfectly and the noise basically diminishes once warm, I can't stand bad noises and know something will let go soon.

If I had some spare cash I'd be so keen on your car, I was gutted when I seen it come up for sale not long after I made my purchase. I do love the car I got despite the issues, but yours is all sorts of wicked. Ive been watching your various project bits and pieces since you got it, never thought it would come up for sale.

Yea I had done a few google searches and it did sort of throw around the idea of the torque converter. Can this actually be diagnosed or is it something that has to be changed and see what happens? As I say, its still working changing etc perfectly and the noise basically diminishes once warm, I can't stand bad noises and know something will let go soon.

If I had some spare cash I'd be so keen on your car, I was gutted when I seen it come up for sale not long after I made my purchase. I do love the car I got despite the issues, but yours is all sorts of wicked. Ive been watching your various project bits and pieces since you got it, never thought it would come up for sale.

Does it sound similar to this:

That was my 540i Trans...

Sadly it is not really a situation you want to wait on, mine only got worse, and then revs started dipping badly.. You have to weigh up the end result, do the preventative work now. I did mine through Ray, as Julian said.. the Torque Converter was then sent to TCRS or AAutomotive to be reconditioned. This, with the resulting transmission service sorted the problem perfectly, car was a blast to drive after and felt fantastic... No sounds, no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwSn3T-dU1Q

• Like 1

Thanks, never thought I'd sell it... But I really want one of these!

post-16586-0-12570100-1398077697.jpg

rusteee, on 21 Apr 2014 - 7:51 PM, said:

Yep, someone who knows what they're doing (such as Ray or Glenn) could diagnose it by driving. You may be lucky if it's disappearing when warm as this suggests it's thick, old trans fluid that's the problem so a trans flush and refill + new filters might do the trick. Problem is, if it doesn't work, that's $450 down the gurgler as you'll have to pull it apart and lose that fresh oil to get to the tc... Hence why a call to Ray or Glenn is worthwhile to be certain.

Cheers for the video. Mines not that bad.....yet i imagine. Its just a high pitch whirring like belt slip and slight scraping. I'd say it is pretty detrimental and it will die soon. As you say, i better get it checked properly by someone who knows, this is where living in te kauwhata is a pain.

What sort of money are you looking at for that if you dont mind me asking? Alowing for the fact that ray was always extremely generous with his pricing lol.

oh right, that makes sense. I seen one of these cruising through St Lukes a couple of weeks ago... absolutely beautiful.

Edited by rusteee

Plan for around the $1000 mark, I would say always over stretch the budget..

Fluid, which is expensive stuff as Ray only uses the right fluid for the job, plus filter and labour on pulling the trans out and putting it back in. I would recommend Budgeting $1300+.. That way you have clearance for the whole job. It's not a cheap procedure sadly.

Best is to give Ray a call or email, explaining the situation and he can give you a quote accurate to your job.

ray@hellbm.com

0212HELLBM

Edited by Miss Bm

Just thought I'd update. Driving home from Whenuepai last sunday, the car forgot how to change gears mainly 4th/5th. They've dropped the box and TC out and sent to Hamilton. Looks like a gearbox and TC recondition and estimate around 4+K, very OUCH. Atleast once it's done, I know what I've got. Anyone personally had one converted to manual? Was interested at what the cost of that would be in comparison to the rebuild of the slushbox.

Just thought I'd update. Driving home from Whenuepai last sunday, the car forgot how to change gears mainly 4th/5th. They've dropped the box and TC out and sent to Hamilton. Looks like a gearbox and TC recondition and estimate around 4+K, very OUCH. Atleast once it's done, I know what I've got. Anyone personally had one converted to manual? Was interested at what the cost of that would be in comparison to the rebuild of the slushbox.

About the same.. Possibly slighty more. Wow. Worth the manual Conversion.

Who the hell is doing that for THAT much? Should of rang around for quotes..

Hmm yea wouldn't mind a manual, not too sure how that would go in the 8 though, I know the 6cyl manual would have been wicked. Thats just the estimate so far, that would be gearbox and TC removal, rebuild, freight, refit and oil and gaskets etc. I didn't have much choice as couldn't really get the car anywhere easily. Literally got the car to the local mechanic on the Sunday night and just left it in the yard. Don't think it woulda made the trip back to Hamilton or Auckland. Really hope to have it back this week....

Manual is always the better option. After owning a 540i6, there's no way id ever consider buying an auto version anymore. You should of bought mine :D

Prob cost tge same but would also add a couple of K to the cars resale value

F*ck that! You can buy a heavy duty (600hp) tc for around $750 brand new. Someone like Ray will be able to put it all back together with fresh fluid for a lot less than $4K. That said, if you've got $4-6K sitting around, a manual conversion would be well worth it.

• Like 1

Could be worth retrofitting a Toyota/Aisin 5 speed auto in place. They are very hardy gearboxes, no torque converter issues or premature failures, worst thing Ive seen is a failed solenoid.

have most of the bits for a e39 540i conversion except the gearbox itself .

Hmm yea wouldn't mind a manual, not too sure how that would go in the 8 though, I know the 6cyl manual would have been wicked. Thats just the estimate so far, that would be gearbox and TC removal, rebuild, freight, refit and oil and gaskets etc. I didn't have much choice as couldn't really get the car anywhere easily. Literally got the car to the local mechanic on the Sunday night and just left it in the yard. Don't think it woulda made the trip back to Hamilton or Auckland. Really hope to have it back this week....

It goes "vvrrrrroooommmmmm" ;) I just had mine converted, (thanks Ray) and it made a HUGE difference! The cost was on par with getting the auto properly rebuilt as well. I'm thinking i might disect the auto now, just for sh1ts and giggles!

• Like 3

V8 Manual would be boss!! But yea that's the price for the entire gearbox and tc recond. I would love to have it converted to manual but cant afford to have the car off the road too long while I find the bits for the kit etc etc and have it fitted. I would have just swapped for second hand in the first place but chances are same thing would happen. Every bmw I've owned had gearbox issues, maybe its my driving hahaha

It goes "vvrrrrroooommmmmm" ;) I just had mine converted, (thanks Ray) and it made a HUGE difference! The cost was on par with getting the auto properly rebuilt as well. I'm thinking i might disect the auto now, just for sh1ts and giggles!

I was going to post in the "What did you do t your BMW?" thread, that I had possiblky just driven NZ's rarest E39......

tell them properly what you have now :P

We generally have manuals, and after driving aja540i's one again... I'd have to have a manual 540i too - the auto just is NOT the same B)

Woah!! Might need a bit of help with this one. Just got the final quote back today, and it comes to around 6.5k to have the rebuild complete and the gearbox refitted... My heart sunk lol I told them to forget it thats just ridiculous. Has anyone got or know of where I can get a low km box, or know where I can get a good manual conversion done in a hurry. The cars been off the road for 2 weeks, and was supposed to have it back today in time to be moving to the big smoke next week. Cant believe its taken this long to tell me whats up with it, but oh well sh*t happens I suppose.

Cheers for your help =)

Cheers for that. Yeah that would be nice, but considering I only paid 10k for the car about 3 months ago, I would rather not sink another 6.5k into it at this stage if I can avoid it. If I can get a decent box for around 4.5kish I'd be happy. Might have to do a bit of ringing around I think.

Bloody hell! $6500 for a poxy auto makes this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/gear-boxes/auction-726215408.htm look cheap in comparison! No idea what (if any) programming is needed to make the conversion complete but it'll probably be a mile cheaper than a rebuilt 5HP30. I think Polley has an auto up for grabs for around 600 slides.

Ouch!!