Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

E39 540I gearbox noise

Yeah I was looking at that kit tempted lol but the car is sitting in Te Kauwhata with no gearbox so I'd have to get it towed somewhere. Yea I was offered that box but with 220kms on it I'd say might be just as bad as what came out. Awsome deal though for 600. What is the manual like for economy in comparison? I suppose youd have to change the diff too

3.15 Diff in the M sport auto is an upgrade over the factory 2.83 or whatever it. Economy maybe slighly better but don't know why you would care about that tbh.

If you planning on keeping the car for awhile, its far more beneficial to put in a manual for a little more. It will also increase value and help resale if you ever sell it too.

Wikipedia shows the 5hp30 as having a 0.79 5th gear, & the 420G has 6th at 0.83. you'd get away with anything from a 2.93 - 3.45 depending on acceleration vs economy. 3.45 LSD would give a great balance between economy & grunt, but practically I can't see any reason to swap the diff that you have in the car now.

Do it. Manual M6x = tits! :)

Would pay to talk to Ray and find out what coding will be required though

Economy wise I guess your main gains will come from less parasitic drag through the manual & less weight. I noticed approx 20% improvement after converting my 325i but most of those gains are sacrificed by having too much fun :ph34r: it does make a big difference on long trips though

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Yea sorry asking about economy wasn't overly smart haha :mellow: I spend a lot on gas anyways so not phased.

Yea resale I suppose is a plus, sounding pretty good really, I do prefer manual. I'll have to get the car somewhere to get it done regardless.

Economy was how I sold the conversion to the missus :ph34r:

I'd highly recommend getting it done if you aren't able to do it yourself. V8 + manual + rural lifestyle = perfect excuse :)

hahaha economy is a good reason, but I learnt in the V8 there is no such thing. I'm lucky, my missus thinks its a good idea to put a manual gearbox in and get rid the auto. What more could I ask for =D

Edited by rusteee

I kept the same diff in mine, at 100 in 6th its doing about 1800 rpm. Economy should be better, but im still enjoying it too much to worry about economy!! There are some coding issues that you will need to get sorted, best to talk to Ray, he's done a few now.

Plus, do it!! :)

Ray / Hellbm - manual conversion. = best outcome and price.

Ray / Hellbm - manual conversion. = best outcome and price.

This is true :D

Manual conversion would definitely be best outcome but it won't come cheap. Think the rebuild costs you've been quoted for your auto are outrageous. Should be able to replace with used and fit for sub $2.5K.

Yeah I'd have to see a proper price figure for a manual conversion before doing anything. The cars sitting in the local mechanics yard with no gear box in it at the moment so its no good to anyone. I'm a bit sketchy at putting in a second hand box as knowing my luck it'll be just as bad with harsh changes etc or not last long, having to go through this whole process again, even though that sounds like the cheaper option.

Go Manual! Are your ears painted on????? :lol:

I think you'll find the manual conversion cost is much closer to the $4500 repair price you'd be OK with, than the rebuild cost you'e been quoted.....

... AND it probably allows for the towing to Ray, and maybe some petrol for the trip home again afterwards B)

For a manual conversion it's a matter of joining a waiting list (4 v8 conversions in the queue at the moment @ $4750 for a base conversion). Can do secondhand auto with a reco TC for $2500 installed. Includes new filter and fresh lifetime oil.

• Like 2

For a manual conversion it's a matter of joining a waiting list (4 v8 conversions in the queue at the moment @ $4750 for a base conversion). Can do secondhand auto with a reco TC for $2500 installed. Includes new filter and fresh lifetime oil.

Cheers for the reply, that is insane value!! What sort of wait is on that list? Even for the auto box change is amazing price... Legend Ray

• Like 1

$4750 is a great price for manual conversion - do it if you can afford it. If you can't, and you just need to get the car back on the road, you probably won't get better than $2500 for the auto replacement (talk to me about better software if you opt for the latter).

Yea theres no problem wtih coin, its just time wise. At that sort of price, I suppose allowing an extra 1k or so for a new clutch is insane. I'm trying to sort out a car in the mean time so I can have mine sit until it can be done. Otherwise I will just opt for the auto, then change to manual when possible. I know hes HellBm, but Ray is some sort of BMW God lol

Quick update. The car was trucked to HellBM on Tuesday afternoon. Now back in my possesion with a fully functioning gearbox, hows that for service =) Cheers Ray and the guys at HellBM, you are legend!!

HellBM are the dogs' nuts but you still shoulda bought my 540!!