Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Considering moving to ChCh.

Hi guys

I'm considering moving to Christchurch for work. I haven't been there since the events in 2011.

I don't mean to be insensitive but are things relatively back to normal?

What areas would be best for renting property for 2 people (myself and partner).

Are more people coming back or leaving? Any other comments or advice?

Cheers

Edited by T.J

Dont have anything useful to add but 2 ppl as in you and missus? Ie. One room one bed? Or you and a mate 2 rooms 2 beds?

Dont have anything useful to add but 2 ppl as in you and missus? Ie. One room one bed? Or you and a mate 2 rooms 2 beds?

Thanks will update OP.

^ Yup.

Take a look first. It's certainly not a holiday destination at the moment, but if you have the offer of good work, it may be worth it.

• Like 1

Live in the West of the city and the roads are fine. I'll drive my "slammed" E30 most places but tend to avoid taking it out East where most of the roads are still pretty munted. You already live in Auckland, so journey times will be similar to what you're used to.

Plenty to get involved in. New bars and restaurants are opening every week.

Renting a property will cost you about $400-$500 a week in a settled part of town. Less if you're prepared to live nearer the city centre.

Not sure what you do for a crust but if you're in construction (project management / estimating / quantity surveying etc) then there's plenty of work going and you'll be paid very well.

It is what it is really. As Ron said, currently there are roadworks pretty much everywhere and traffic in some places can pretty bad depending on where you are going. I've been considering selling my 330 for a X5 but still on the fence about it since I have moved.

Ideally, live and work in the same area will cause a lot less heartache. Prices vary area to area and keep in mind that you may need to move out if EQC repairs haven't been completed yet. I used to live in Dallington, right on the edge of the red zone which was very peaceful and quiet but there was a lot of dust. Was paying $400 a week for a large 3 bedroom house, double garage and it had been marked for demolision as it was uneconomical to repair.

Personally I think it has reached saturation point, if not very close, so rents are stablising.

Have you got a job lined up yet? If you are ever down, I'd be more than happy to show you round.

Yep, Ron couldn't have said it better. I'm there regularly for week and always enjoy it but normal it isn't and not sure how I'd fare living there after Auckland.

EDIT: for work.

Edited by jeffbebe

Yep, Ron couldn't have said it better. I'm there regularly for week and always enjoy it but normal it isn't and not sure how I'd fare living there after Auckland.

Thanks for that, Jooles. Appreciate the input.

X5 would still be no fun, suspension is too stiff for the bumpy and uneven roads,

Clapped out holden / ford / corolla would fare much better or any of the softly sprung 4WD's

My sister who lives in st albans has a shitbox 90s bluebird, the old beast is in its element! haha

Can anyone tell me what people do in CHCH? Everyone I know either sits at home and whinges about how horrible the roads/traffic/eqc/neighbors/skinheads/prossies and construction workers are or work 65+ hour weeks then leave as soon as they have made enough cash

Edited by pldubs

Hi guys

I'm considering moving to Christchurch for work. I haven't been there since the events in 2011.

I don't mean to be insensitive but are things relatively back to normal?

What areas would be best for renting property for 2 people (myself and partner).

Are more people coming back or leaving? Any other comments or advice?

Cheers

Do it.

I live central city and have done since the earthquakes, sure, after moving from here to AKL for 2 years and then back again its not much of a comparison but it's getting there. Drive my semi-low E30 around and there's no problems. So much sh*t gets talked about how bad it is but its really not.

I work in architecture and there's a heap going on / going to happen regardless of what you read in the press. Its a cool place if you avoid the scum / where to go, like every city.

+ you can go snowboarding soon!

Damn, I should work for the local tourism board or something..

• Like 1

Do it.

I live central city and have done since the earthquakes, sure, after moving from here to AKL for 2 years and then back again its not much of a comparison but it's getting there. Drive my semi-low E30 around and there's no problems. So much sh*t gets talked about how bad it is but its really not.

I work in architecture and there's a heap going on / going to happen regardless of what you read in the press. Its a cool place if you avoid the scum / where to go, like every city.

+ you can go snowboarding soon!

Damn, I should work for the local tourism board or something..

Queenstown nearby is definitely a massive plus as my partner and I are very avid skiers (I was a knuckle-dragger convert :P )

Cheers for your input. Flights down are in order, I think.

Are your and her professions in demand there?

Are your and her professions in demand there?

It is, but I could do it mostly in any epicentre.

TBH, most of the people that will be having car issues, probably just had cars that were f**ked in general in the first place.

• Like 1

TBH, most of the people that will be having car issues, probably just had cars that were f**ked in general in the first place.

This is so true.