Sign in to follow this  
pldubs

Mountain Goat Ideas

So, looking quite promising that my e36 is gona sell =( =( Waaaaa.

so im in the market for something ive never had to buy before.

a car to get me from dunedin to Queenstown and Wanaka this winter

Im guessing 4wd would be handy, and probably a station wagon. Problem here is I have absolutely no idea what to look for and always been told subarus are heaps of crap.

Any ideas? Know of cars for sale? Have cars for sale?

Cheers

I always wanted a Legacy Wagon E-Tune back in the UK as they were fairly rare and look pretty awesome in a subie wagon way! But now I'm out here everyone has them!!!! I'd still have one though, no idea what they're like reliability wise though : s

They are only heaps of crap if they haven't been looked after. Find one that's been serviced properly, with the right grade of oils, and they are as reliable as anything else. The twin turbos have their flaws, but they can be dialed out well enough. I'd own another in a heartbeat.

I've had a number of high milage Subarus, and not had any majors with them. Even some of the supposedly less reliable ones.

A 1992 Legacy as a company car, which they owned from 40K until 400K (1 trans failure, and manual conversion, minor stuff, basic servicing), A 1996 Legacy at the same company from 120K upto 300K last I knew, no problems, I had a 1994 legacy myself with about 250 ks, no probs. Mrs had a 1995 Impreza which we brought with 285K on, and drove perfectly - the company that had it prior had a list of servicing done, but the biggest problem was a auto trans seal leaking and a burst radiator (I changed it from an auto 1.8 to a 2.0 manual, and a guy used the engine in a hovercraft after that!

If you look after them they are very good (they feature well in a number for reliability studies too).

Obviously there are possible issues with turbo ones and the odd model to avoid (like any maker), but I'd be more inclined to get a 6 cylinder one (I was going to get a 3.0 Manual Legacy wagon until we brought the E39 instead). It's a VERY nice engine!

E34 525iX

(maybe one with an M52B28 swap if you know where to look...)

Stay away fro Auto Subaru's they are front wheel drive with on demand rear wheel hook up.

what happens is when the car looses traction it engages the drive to the rear and then pushes if you are still gassing it - result straight ahead with no steering.

What you want is Full time 4WD

Manuals are 50/50 torque split and can vary it upto 80% either way.

The autos vary by year etc, but the default is never front only - it's always a variable split and both ends are always engaged to varying degrees. I believe 90% is as far as they can go, and the default is either 80/20 or 60/40 model/year dependent etc

I've never had one push me straight ahead either (even paddock bashing) - that doesn't actually make sense, because if the front is spinning faster than the rear, it does NOT divert all drive to the back, it tries to divert torque to drive the front and rear at the same speed. When it reaches that equilibrium point (which is damn fast), it's driving the wheels with the most traction. If the fronts somehow have noone, and the rears heaps, it might try to push you, but it's hard to get the opposing ends on entirely different surfaces... plus if the front has no traction, youalready HAD no steering, and only an idiot keeps his foot up it.

Subaru engines don't like being thrashed or driven hard particularly the turbo ones ,- they are just not up to it- fine for nanny drivers

What?

The 1992 I referred to above was caned most of the time. I had to - the early quadcams had no low end torque, so it was either cruising, or 4500+. The Service manager that had it prior to me used to start it, drive down his drive onto the road and off at full throttle into traffic every morning. Neiter of us would have any hesitation is driving through winding hilly areas (Mangamuka Gorge, Kaitaia was a regular) using just the top end of the rev range.

A salesman at the same company "only" had 280K on his manual turbo when he got a replacement. He wasn't exactly a lightfoot either.

The one in my VW van right now gets a whipping all the time. Even towing another car on a transporter trailer, I happily take it to the rev limiter, regularly. On a trip from here to Auckland, I'lll generally hit the rev limit a number of times. At 100km/h it's running 3050 RPM, and I overtake by changing down a gear, putting it at 5000, then accelerating. It's pushing a massive square brick with a total weight of a bit over 2 tonnes when on a family outing, so passing 4 cars, a camper and a logging truck up a passing lane is never done without revs.

People seem to rag on Subarus, but remember how many are out there - they were the most imported car for years and years and years. Why would you not here a few bad stories.

• Like 2

I had a big rant about 3pedals clearly knowing nothing about Subarus, but it seems i have been beaten. But yes, most subarus in NZ are fulltime awd, and subaru engines LOVE being rev'd.

/Source - owning multiple of various generations, and growing up elbows deep in them.

• Like 2

I had a big rant about 3pedals clearly knowing nothing about Subarus, but it seems i have been beaten. But yes, most subarus in NZ are fulltime awd, and subaru engines LOVE being rev'd.

/Source - owning multiple of various generations, and growing up elbows deep in them.

I say, we can RANT if we want to, we can leave your friends behind

Cause your friends dont RANT and if they dont RANT

Well they ain't no friends of mine

(song: men without hats, safety dance :lol: )

We can dance, we can dance, every bodies out of control!

The non turbo subies go forever, just the usual rocker cover leaks.

The newer 3l 6 cylinder legacys go like the clappers and pretty reliable too with good build quality

I've had turbo and non turbo, they were both reliable, the turbo for 140kms. Strangely enough,with regular, basic servicing, they were fine. Two lsds on the turbo. I'd have another. The 3 litre is thirsty, used more gas than my turbo Falcon around town.

Subaru engines don't like being thrashed or driven hard particularly the turbo ones ,- they are just not up to it- fine for nanny drivers

Rubbish. I did 120ks of thrashing the tits off my RSB. they can handle being driven hard just fine. What they don't like is sub par fuel and a poor servicing regime.

The 3 litre is thirsty, used more gas than my turbo Falcon around town.

My mates got an 2003ish 3.0, and it uses less gas than the 2.0 Caldina they had prior??? Last I asked, he was about 11L/100 kms around town. Heaps better on a trip though.

So, looking quite promising that my e36 is gona sell =( =( Waaaaa.

so im in the market for something ive never had to buy before.

a car to get me from dunedin to Queenstown and Wanaka this winter

Im guessing 4wd would be handy, and probably a station wagon. Problem here is I have absolutely no idea what to look for and always been told subarus are heaps of crap.

Any ideas? Know of cars for sale? Have cars for sale?

Cheers

X5? ;)

How much do you want to spend?

You really cant go too far wrong with a Subie. Outback is a bit higher which can be handy in QT etc if you like skiing, mountain biking etc. And it will be easy to sell down there (Outbacks are so popular that they hold their value well) - but you might actually be best buying one in Auckland & driving it down.

Manuals are 50/50 torque split- my point exactly.

Auto's are Not -- they vary as pointed out from 80% front to something less, so they understeer and break traction on the front first If you are not aware of this and assume the car is superior in traction it can catch you out . I have been been to Several Subaru crashes where this has happened

In slippery conditions the manuals are fine, the auto's are sub optimal and depending on how you drive them they can be very scary.

Nope

The valve cover gasket leaks are caused by the crank case distorting when the engine is being thrashed - a major issue with the 80- 99 engines - someone will remember what the case designation is - Neighbour has a 2004 which stinks of oil leaks which I suspect is the same issue - don't know about later engines.

Nope

I owned three - 90 RS, 90 GT & 96 GTB all manuals , I blew my GT manual up and chose to do oil changes every 5,000 km on the new engine (fully reconditioned WRX RA engine) to keep the engine quiet and reliable.

I wouldn't own a Subaru with more than 100,0000 k on the clock without it either being fully rebuilt or planning to do it.

96 GTB would develop oil leaks EVERY time I gave it a moderate to decent fang - same place I fang the 328 on a daily basis - sold the GTB to an 'average driver' and it was good for another 100,000km .

something was wrong with your one then

All my cars were meticulously serviced

And the brakes are rubbish - three hot corners - total fade.

true, standard brakes are woeful for the speeds you can do

So is fuel economy unless you drive like a granny 13l/100k for me compared to 9 from the 328 - same road & same 'attitude'

clearly your driving, mine were never that bad

Want to try that again?

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

I used to be a huge subaru fan, almost everyone i knew a few years ago owned one, and ive owned a few myself.

The auto AWD system is good, and strong too. The later model 98/99 onwards are better, as are the manual boxes. The engines are good provided they havent been abused or badly looked after/maintained. The older 2.5L non-turbo engines were terrible, real prone to headgasket failures.

The 6 cyclinders in all generations are fantastic, and bulletproof. The turbo engines are good, but for drivability the later model single turbo engines are preferred over the twin turbo ones. More reliable too.

The rocker cover gaskets are prone to leaking, but a new set of genuine gaskets will fix this. They fail because the oil can pool on them and they get badly overheated due to the exhaust manifold sitting so close to them.

The later BL/BP single turbo or 3.0 sixes are really nice cars. Highly recommended if you want a comfortable AWD cruiser with some power.

I have 2005 Forester XT (2.0 Single Turbo) - 3 years with no problems at all. All services done. NEVER run 91 fuel in turbo Subarus or infact any car. Subaru B4 twin turbos are tuned to 100RON in Japan as they are available most places.

Everyone that talks down Subaru probably bought a thrashed 15+ year old with 200+ k kms. My Forester is Fulltime AWD and is auto.

Best thing about them is the sleeper effect though. This is the ad for the non-facelift version of mine:

post-15489-0-39655400-1401409967_thumb.j

Edited by andy_e39
  • Like 1

Why not just buy a shitter that you can beat up on? Any FWD station wagon would do the job.

Thanks for the input guys, I ended up going to the opposite end of whats expected and bought a mk3 Golf

Manual 2000cc 8valves of fury, Got some coilovers with it also, so it will probably end up to low to go up the mt anyway but ohwel.
10nbb4i.jpg

ill sneak a couple progress photos in here and there while I tidy it up along side the e36 im swapping for soon.

I've seen this for sale on TM and is that Justin's driveway lol?

And 0-60mph in that Forrester in 5.3 seconds???

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Ffs all this arguing about one thing then he ends up getting something different. This is like question time in parliment.

• Like 1

Ffs all this arguing about one thing then he ends up getting something different. This is like question time in parliment.

Quite funny. Happens almost every time.

And 0-60mph in that Forrester in 5.3 seconds???

TT RSB was about 5.5 secs, so that seems about right for a healthy single turbo, provided it was manual and not running a td04.