Sign in to follow this  
piiiiij

Best all-round weekender ever

Alright before this descends into anarchy I want to make it clear I don't want to start any wars over this, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we could actually have some construction discussion here.. I've even tried to be reasonable in the argument that follows.

I've been thinking again lately about my realistic and not ridiculously excessive (I'm not a supercar person at all even if money wasn't a problem) dream garage. For me that's three cars - the daily, one for the wife and kids, and the weekender. I want to keep my E34 as a daily as long as I can, which should be a while given the robustness of the M60B40. The family car was always going to be the L320 RRS which I have, but now I've seen the L494 RRS SVR which is just mental and presumably safer, so I've almost definitely decided to get rid of the L320. Which leaves the weekender. A slot I want to fill with the best all-round weekender ever, potentially as soon as I sell the RRS.

The way I want to define 'best all-round weekender ever' is the overall experience for both the driver and the passengers when it gets taken out on the weekends on New Zealand's windy country roads, with a little bit less regard to how much it's going to cost because it isn't a daily and it's going to be good so one can expect to pay well for it. In terms of the driving experience it has to be a manual, right? Sure, the E60 M5 and E63 AMG etc. are crazy fast cars but personally I think there are better options just because of the feel of that third pedal. Obviously it has to be quick; I'm a naturally aspirated guy so for me it has to be at least a 4.0 V8 to churn out enough horses without forced induction (forget economy, this is not a daily). From the perspective of build quality, brand image and I guess even safety and comfort a European car will take out anything from anywhere else in the world pretty much every time, even if they may be a bit less reliable (more costly maintenance is not really one of my considerations though, this is not a daily). Finally, I think it needs to have at least 4 seats. What's the point in having a great car if you can't take your mates for rides in it? The practicality is there for the family as well.

So what I have narrowed it down to (for me, this is my opinion), is manual, V8+, European (quality, image, safety, comfort) and 4+ seats. As far as I am aware (happy to be proved wrong so I have more to think about!) the only cars that fit these criteria are the E90 M3, E39 M5 and B7 RS4. I've never really liked any 3-series that much (weak argument I know but this is personal preference) and an E90 M3 is probably a little bit out of my budget at the moment, so that leaves two. I think that basically comes down to a choice between RWD and AWD and an interior from the stone age versus a comfortable, modern one. I don't really want to get sideways on public roads so that's an easy choice for me - the B7 RS4. Make that B7 RS4 Avant for the luggage space and the fact that Avants are just classic Audi.

>>>tl;dr start here:

I think (happy to be convinced otherwise) that the best all-round weekender ever is the B7 RS4. Cue anarchy

I'd like to have a drive of an RS4. It seems like a car that would suit me, however, since I've had my engine rebuilt I think I'll be keeping the M3 for quite a while longer.

If we're talking comfort for yourself and your pasengers plus a classy looking ride and money's not an option then I'd have a E38 740i, 6 speed manual with a Dinan SC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1lNkkrjd4

Or even better a E38 750il, 6 speed with twin turbo's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XunY7hZWvuI

All the power you'd want plus the comfort of the ultimate 7 series.

• Like 1

To me the Audi has quite a similar setup to the E39 while looking a bit more modern, i like both of them being a classic layout compared to a lot modern ugliness.

I don't know about the Audi but the E39 is plenty comfortable for me, those Audi bucket seats do look like they give good support though.

I think they are quite similar with the Audi being seemingly more civilized, refined practical performance and the BMW having the more traditional driving pleasure\performance.

• Like 1

What I've found is if your weekend car is a convertible, the Mrs will support it a lot more as she will get some enjoyment too. Also there is nothing quite like going for a blast down a empty country road with the wind in your hair - it's great therapy to leave your worries behind

I'd look at a RS4 Convertible (rare, but still meets your criteria) or if you can overlook a manual, a CLK63 AMG Cab is a great all round choice and will fit four comfortably

the trouble with a convertible is that regardless of make or model, storage for weekend bags etc is pathetic.

Surely a wagon makes the most sence? BMW do make good wagons

• Like 1

Most of my female friends love the idea of a convertible but most get quickly annoyed with the wind as I watch them subconsciously tidy their hair for the entire trip as it billows in the wind.

Aside from a few sissy guy friends, all the guys love it when we go cruising.

I don't know how much your Mrs will enjoy it when she rides passenger!

But I def recommend a convertible. I can't even look at hardtops anymore when I do any sort of comparative analysis. ie "Do I want to have 80% more fun when driving or not?"

• Like 1

I was in a mates Bentley Continental convertible today for a drive. That was fun. Has 4 seats too. No manual, but 640hp.

If we're talking comfort for yourself and your pasengers plus a classy looking ride and money's not an option then I'd have a E38 740i, 6 speed manual with a Dinan SC.

As great as that would be I've never been a 7 series fan either.. they're so big. I had an E32 for a short time once, felt like a limousine to drive.

Porsche Panamera any one

Did NZ get any manuals? I think Porsches are too curvy, one reason for the RRS over the Cayenne. More expensive than an E90 M3 as well.

What I've found is if your weekend car is a convertible, the Mrs will support it a lot more as she will get some enjoyment too. Also there is nothing quite like going for a blast down a empty country road with the wind in your hair - it's great therapy to leave your worries behind

the trouble with a convertible is that regardless of make or model, storage for weekend bags etc is pathetic.

Most of my female friends love the idea of a convertible but most get quickly annoyed with the wind as I watch them subconsciously tidy their hair for the entire trip as it billows in the wind.

I don't know how much your Mrs will enjoy it when she rides passenger!

Hadn't even considered a convertible, never owned one. Never warmed to two wheels in the short time I owned a bike though, prefer the cosiness of an enclosed cabin. And as Andy says, a roof takes up quite a lot of luggage space. The passenger seat spends most of her time on the phone anyway, not much of a driver. I think she just likes heated seats, being able to listen to shitty music and a German badge (definitely likes Audis). Sometimes appreciates a bit of acceleration and perfect shifting ;)

I was in a mates Bentley Continental convertible today for a drive. That was fun. Has 4 seats too. No manual, but 640hp.

As much as that's a huge power output it doesn't outweigh the missing pedal for me. Not to mention in the same price bracket as the M3 etc.

I guess it all comes down to what you get up to during your week-ends... whether you just want to go for a fast blat, or go away somewhere and take friends/family + a load of gear and maybe tow a boat / racecar / jet-ski.

For me it would come down to a toss-up between two cars, the M5 (which just narrowly beats the new M3 for the practicality / performance balance) or an X5 M50d. If I didn't want to tow any thing around it would be the M5, but as I have a need to tow stuff on a quite regular basis the M50d would win out.

Very comfortable drive for long distances, great performance, quite chuckable if you want to be silly in the twisties (usually get told to slow down by the Mrs anyway so moot point..) heaps of room plus 3.5tonne towing capability and loads of torque to pull it with. Not forgetting a half decent all-wheel drive system if you want to go to the snow or get it a bit dirty.

Aren't X5 M50d manuals as rare as hen's teeth tough?

more rare than that

Did they ever make a s4 avant which ran the 3L SC?? I would choose that and chip it. Runs just as fast if not faster than the rs4 of the same era.

X5 M50d in manual is very, very rare. Factory only make them in auto, 8-speed sports version.

Was one of the rules that it had to be manual? M50d has paddles, and can be run in "manual" mode off the shifter, does that count??

Because pulling a paddle is completely different to pushing a lever...?

Was one of the rules that it had to be manual? M50d has paddles, and can be run in "manual" mode off the shifter, does that count??

No, Paddle shift is not manual - doesn't even come close.

OP wants the 3 pedal feel.

We don't need to have this argument again but yes, I do want the three pedal feel.

Its the torque converters I despise,i like the direct connection between foot and rear wheels,"tiptronic" just doesnt do it i hate that throttle of and coast feel.

I just love my car as a weekender. No, it isn't an M3, but it still feels like a bit of an event every time I start it up. I love everything about it. I love that it's a sedan and is practical, but also that it has a twin turbo 300hp straight 6 under the bonnet with a 6 speed manual between me and the rear wheels. Sapphire black exterior with lemon Dakota interior and full M Sport spec from the factory. It looks so well proportioned and with the type 193 alloys and shadow line trim it looks purposeful without any nasty add-ons. It isn't the best at any one thing in particular, but it sure is pretty good at a lot. Like accelerating faster in 5th than many so called performance cars do in 3rd. My perfect weekend toy.

• Like 1

yes, I do want the three pedal feel.

Ah, right, re-read the original post so I was well wide of the mark. If you've still got the RRS as the hauler / tower then you've got that part covered sooo that would change the argument over to the M5, which whilst it is turbo'd it does still meet the 4+ ltr V8 requirement. No third pedal to push as a Pavlovian response to changing gear, but it is a DCT so no torque converter.

Room enough inside for 4 adult passengers in comfort, plus decent luggage space for suitcases, etc. Good for long hauls with the very supportive seats which adjust in a million different ways. Can change the character of the car from cruiser to bruiser by changing the driving modes...