Sign in to follow this  
qube

getting sick of dailying 3.5L help me!

Hi everyone.

As per title this is starting to bug me as now i have to do a lot more kms everyday.

Fuel costs are through the roof. I think i spent close to 300 dollars in a week and a half.

Anyway i want to get a cheap daily.

Doesnt matter what it is as long as its cheap on gas and not very big. Hatch or coupe best.

Doesnt even have to be a bmw. Lol.

Pref under 2k ish.

Also shout out any ideas.

Had a quick look on tm for any e30 318i but nothing.

Thanks team

Kyu

Is buying, licensing, WOFing, insuring and maintaining a whole extra car going to save you anything at all???

What economy are you getting now? How many kms are you really doing each week?

Someone doing 15K per year at 15L/100kms spends $5175 per year, buying another car, that does 10L/100kms costs $3450 per year. So the replacement car would have to cost $1725 per year to buy maintain, WOF, License, insure, maintain, JUST to break even!

If you're in AKL traffic, anything that costs $2K probably isn't going to do much better than 10L/100kms.

Buy an electric bike for the bits where you don't need a car B) Mine costs less than $0.30 per week in electricity to do 100 kms of commuting, plus I get a work out, and only spend about an hour extra per week. No gym fees ;)

I bought a cheapy Peugeot 206 GTI for 100km per day. A ton of get up and go and nearly 200k on the clock. Hasnt missed a beat in 12 months.

Interesting Issue..

I worried about the same thing and got a cheap 2006 Daihatsu Sirion.

2 Months later I hated the car so much I sold it again and daily drive a 2.8L V6 Golf.. or the 530i (when it works)

I do 400-500K's a week, usually 80k a day.. $107 a week in the Golf.

Edited by Charles32

I drive a 1996 1.5L Mazda Famila Sedan, not as luxurious at the 535i E34 but defiantly more fuel efficient. it was also $2k exactly.

Edited by _Matt_

Buy an MR2. I bought one for $1000, they use hardly any fuel and if you keep the oil topped up you can thrash the crap out of them and they wont explode. Slightly more comfortable than a scooter (although just as practical) and a heap of fun to drive.

Edited by SN1TZR

Interesting point made by allanw

Average fuel consumption is around 7km/l which translates to 14.3l/100km

Need to sleep on it and think a bit more

My daily does 20L/100km. Think I'd be better dailying the M3 haha!

Shitters are great for day to day, Pity youre so far away Id sell you my laser for $800 Brand new wof n reg.

E36 318ti... runs on the smell of the proverbial oily rag... Use it as a daily to save killing my Alfa in Auckland traffic as the Alfa costs more in parts than fuel to run and everything is made of unobtanium!!!!

• Like 1

will have a 96 318is coupe in red with 74k's for sale soon

mtec kit etc