Sign in to follow this  
evljat

E39 540i

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to buy a V8 BMW for a while now because they're a cheap and badass.

I've had my eye on this one for a bit now and he's dropped the price from $5000 to $4500 and now it's $4000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=793973967

This is the cheapest on trademe but I've read on this forum a couple members have picked some up for around $3000, so it's not really a steal I guess.

Since it's a little far away and if I go view it I'll probably end up buying it. I was hoping someone on the forum in the Morrinsville had the seen the car around and tell me what sort of condition its in.

Also, there's a 530i E34 V8 that I like on trademe at the moment. I'm planning on viewing this one tomorrow.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=794494555

So my question is what sort of things in particular should I look for in these V8 BMWs?

Cheers!

PS Is the "Coin Test" a real thing?

The 540i to me is a good deal if everything else checks out, the timing guides have been done which is the major weak point on 4.4L V8's. Its also non vanos which is always a good thing.

530i V8 is waste of time imo, not enough power for the complexity of engine, id take a E34 535i over one anyday.

that e39 is pretty nice. cool colour.... lowered... style 32s rock

$4k is a very reasonable price

+1.

Just make sure that engine rebuild was done by someone reputable. And why they had to do it.

make an offer of 3.5k and take it home for 3750 :)

looks like a good example. im hardly ever a fan of non black interior but this one looks pretty good with the grey exterior combo. wheels are nice and lowering is a plus. definitely check out the motor rebuild receipts. if i remember correctly there is a good bmw mechanic in waikato area so it might be done properly, worth doing a quick google search on it. kms are reasonable, only minus is non msport but what do u expect when you're getting a 4.4L v8 for less than dollar per CC?

i would pass on the e34. like what everyone says, 540 or 535. 530 v8 is just weird

540i or nothing. The 3.0 & 3.5 V8s make barely more power than a bloody 325i in a chassis that weighs more. Same or worse fuel economy as a 4/4.4 with zero fun.

As long as the rebuild checks out that E39 looks a steal. As Qube said, less than a dollar per cc, or not quite $15 per cubic inch it's a hell of a lot of car for less than a same year corolla.

Do it! :)

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll get in contact with the seller.

EDIT: I accidentally ended up buying the 530i

Hope there's nothing wrong with it, I didn't even inspect it.

Edited by evljat
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll get in contact with the seller.

EDIT: I accidentally ended up buying the 530i

Hope there's nothing wrong with it, I didn't even inspect it.

Accidentally hit buy now? Or accidentally bought it before reading people's suggestions above? :P

Looks like a tidy car but as the others said, don't expect a rocket!

There was 1min remaining and I thought I'd sneak in a cheeky bid hoping someone would outbid me. But nobody did haha.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Lol oh man. Well at least you got it for a good price. But without inspecting it.. *tutt* *tutt* :-). I guess you are legally obliged to go through with it? Or perhaps you can negotiate with the seller if you really didn't want it.

either way, looks like a damn cheap V8 E34 in what appears to be very tidy condition. Hope it works out for you!

lol @ the trader name, score

lmao!

but yea for $1760.... u got plenty of money left over to spend on fixing it up!

And it's not *that* hard to convert it to a 540i.....

...manual....

B)

Thanks for the support guys. I will definitely be going through with the purchase. I wouldn't like negative feedback on my trademe account!

I will try it out for a few days or a week and if I don't like it I'll buy the 540i and throw the 530i back up on trademe. It shouldn't be too difficult to get my money back.

I've been servicing the 530 for the last 10 years. It's in reasonable order for it's age and mileage.

I must find out what Ivan's driving now

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Thanks for the support guys. I will definitely be going through with the purchase. I wouldn't like negative feedback on my trademe account!

I will try it out for a few days or a week and if I don't like it I'll buy the 540i and throw the 530i back up on trademe. It shouldn't be too difficult to get my money back.

Just pop it on auction again if you don't like it, easy.

Just have a bit of fun with it first.

That 540 being a high mileage auto, I'd wonder how much life is left in the transmission. But hey it's cheap for what you get regardless.

• Like 1

I picked up the car today and it's a lot bigger than I thought it'd be.

No problems with the car. The display in the cluster indicated a brake light bulb and license plate bulb were out. Replaced the brake light bulb but the license plate bulb will need to wait till after the weekend.

Had to resort to using the owner's manual to figure out how the bonnet opened :( Then realised the lever that you pull had broken off. Finally managed to get it open with the help of some pliers.

Car isn't very quick but that was expected. It sounds great when you're giving it the full jandal and it's quiet during casual driving. I might look into an aftermarket exhaust or a muffler delete to liven things up.

First priority is cleaning the leather seats and replacing the factory stereo.

Anyone have a recommendation on what leather cleaner to use?

Stoked with the purchase, a lot of car for the money.

Clean the leather with lux soap flakes then use a good quality conditioner like Hide Food. It's a myth you should condition regularly, it's actually bad for the leather. Clean it up properly once, condition it, seal it (most furniture stores sell sealers) then just wipe clean once a month with a damp cloth.

Edited by jeffbebe

Picked up the Lux soap flakes and leather conditioner today then decided to get lunch. Had someone reverse into me while I was reversing out. Police put us both at fault and I don't have insurance. The repair cost is probably going to be more than what I paid for the car. I think I might just cut my losses and sell it off as it sits.