Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W Ltd

Downloading DVD's onto a USB memory stick

I"ve just bought a 64gig stick and want to download several movies I have been given that I can watch on the motorhome tv. I tried copying directly onto the stick, but this doesn't work. Can anyone explain in simple terms the best way to do this. I found the googled information a bit confusing

TIA

Firstly I will assume you want to play this file on another device? a computer?

You will need a program to convert the DVD to a avi file or similar. I like DVDshrink. There might also be encryption on the DVD you you might need to decrypt the DVD first before you convert.

DVDdecrypter is what to use here.

But again this all depends on what you are going to play it on. A normal PC ? through VLC or similar ? above will work. But if you require a specific format for a certain media player you may need to work back from the format you require.

make sense?

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

http://dvd-decrypter.en.softonic.com/

Edited by M5V8

if they are genuine dvd's they are copy protected ,

you would need some dodgy software to make a copy of them 1st on to your pc then copy to a usb

The DVD's are already copies or have been recorded from a TV. I want to put them on the USB stick so I can watch them on the motorhome TV which has a USB port and HD

What format are they in?

Not sure Darren...they're at home...I'll take a look tonight

Cool.

In the spec sheet for the motorhome tv it may also tell you what format the tv supports.

If not you might need to just convert to a popular format and test until you find one that plays.

yep, important to find out what formats the TV can play, some formats will look like they are going to load but then crash etc.

Maybe post make and model of TV and I can run it, or google yourself might come up with something

Btw just because the tv has a usb port doesnt mean it has the necessary software/ability to play the video files. Sometimes on older tvs the usb slot is just for updating the tv software. In saying that a software upgrade might give you the aforementiones capability.

To check this out out a simple clip on the usb in .avi format and see if it will play on the tv. Then it will surely work with the bigger movie files once u figure out how to export from the cd to a .avi format

Hope this helps somewhat

It's a 22" Veon, less than 12 months old. The MySky box has a USB port as well, but I'm sure that's only for recording programs

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Btw just because the tv has a usb port doesnt mean it has the necessary software/ability to play the video files. Sometimes on older tvs the usb slot is just for updating the tv software. In saying that a software upgrade might give you the aforementiones capability.

To check this out out a simple clip on the usb in .avi format and see if it will play on the tv. Then it will surely work with the bigger movie files once u figure out how to export from the cd to a .avi format

Hope this helps somewhat

Good advice, especially on USB for firmware update only, i came across that on one that came in many moons ago

I might add the DVD's have all been played on the TV through a portable DVD player which I don't have. I thought the memory stick would be a better idea

Movie format:

TV USB Functions

File system: Hi speed FS, Fat32, Fat16, NTFS (NTFS compressed is not supported)

.mov/ MPEG-4 SP/ASP Max res 1366 X 768

.mkv H.264 Max data rate 20 Mbps

.dat MPEG-1

.mp4 MPEG-4 SP/ASP

H.264

mp4 MPEG-1, MPEG-2

.vob MPEG-2

Audio files MP3, WMA, AAC, AC3

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Ok so ideally u would want a program to convery your dvd movie files to a .mp4 or .mkv format.

(Another option is to just download them again in the right format.. sometimes converting them can take forever when downloading takes 20 mins)

• Like 1

(Another option is to just download them again in the right format.. sometimes converting them can take forever when downloading takes 20 mins)

+1

Had flight of the concords on dvd wanted to add to my personal cloud. Easier to just DL again than spend the time ripping and converting.

+1

Had flight of the concords on dvd wanted to add to my personal cloud. Easier to just DL again than spend the time ripping and converting.

Agree. Give us a list Glenn. Some of us may already have everything you need. Would save time.

Agree. Give us a list Glenn. Some of us may already have everything you need. Would save time.

A list of what Dan ?

Programs, Movies and so on. Unless they are home videos?

Programs, Movies and so on. Unless they are home videos?

I don't know what's on the DVD's . The previous owner just said they were copies of movies. Haven't check the titles or watched them. There are about 20 all together.

I think I'm getting the picture now. I need to download them onto my laptop using something like "HandBrake" using the correct file type that is accepted by the TV and then copy them onto the USB stick.... is this correct ???

If you're feeling lazy...

If you have done just a straight copy of what's on the dvd to the flash drive, look In the root folder of the DVD folder (VIDEO_TS) you should see a bunch of .vob files. Based on the list of formats you posted for your TV Glenn you should be able to get away with just playing the .vob files. These files will be the parts of the movies.

Edited by BreakMyWindow

What I'd like to see on the USB stick is a list of Movies that work by opening a file for that movie rather than looking through files. I named folder for each movie. Click & play

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

By the sounds, about 20 movies on a dvd will already be converted to some kind of format. they wouldn't be raw dvd files.

Need to check what format the movies are in on the dvd and convert them to a format accepted by the TV. beware of the free converters available, they're mostly a pain in the arse.

By the sounds, about 20 movies on a dvd will already be converted to some kind of format. they wouldn't be raw dvd files.

Need to check what format the movies are in on the dvd and convert them to a format accepted by the TV. beware of the free converters available, they're mostly a pain in the arse.

They are 20 movies on 20 DVD's not all on the same DVD.

I'm starting to get the right idea of what I need to do. I'll check the DVD's when I get home

Edited by B.M.W Ltd