Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

AMP extraction tool

Anyone got an AMP extraction tool I could borrow or know of an effective way of getting the pins out of a broken MAF connector?

Something like this:

305183.jpg

Hi,

What I have used before is a small artist brush and pulled the brussels out leaving the hollow tin shell, just happened to be correct size for why I wanted.

• Like 2

You mean one of these?

post-5710-0-31420600-1423355496_thumb.jp

Edited by polley
  • Like 3

Paper clip, jewellers screwdriver, pin etc. you should just need to compress the lock enough to release the terminal

+1 as above fine jewelers screw driver you will have to open the plastic terminal connector it will have a flap or slide piece. Once this is removed you will be able to see the terminals located in the plastic connector depress the locking tab on the terminal and pull the terminal out it will only move a short distance and become stuck again depress the lock again in the second space in the plastic block and pull the terminal pin and wire free. Have a photo of it some were will post it up if I can find but most of the pins can be removed from their connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nszk4yxuj5ailrx/pin%20removalt.jpg?dl=0

Talk to Brendon this thursday ... We made up a tool for this out of a pen or some sh*t for the e30 wiring ... Think hes still got it.

Other way is a soldering iron if you dont care about the plug... melt the bitch out.

• Like 1

You mean one of these?

Exactly one of those... Except one that's in Auckland not Hamilton!

+1 as above fine jewelers screw driver you will have to open the plastic terminal connector it will have a flap or slide piece. Once this is removed you will be able to see the terminals located in the plastic connector depress the locking tab on the terminal and pull the terminal out it will only move a short distance and become stuck again depress the lock again in the second space in the plastic block and pull the terminal pin and wire free. Have a photo of it some were will post it up if I can find but most of the pins can be removed from their connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nszk4yxuj5ailrx/pin%20removalt.jpg?dl=0

Not sure that will work... It's a round MAF plug with round pins.

Talk to Brendon this thursday ... We made up a tool for this out of a pen or some sh*t for the e30 wiring ... Think hes still got it.

Other way is a soldering iron if you dont care about the plug... melt the bitch out.

Good point. The old plug is farked.... Burn biatch!!

There is another in Hamilton as well but of the generic variety. Another option is an extendable radio antenna
Polley is that the genuine tool or something custom made? Nicer than what i've got either way

Edited by Thorburn

Since the engine's in pieces I can't really drive anywhere!

I'd also be interested if anyone's got any bright ideas about what to do with this f*cking mess I've inherited.

15835695513_e712bdae4c_z.jpg

It's the bulb harness for the side light strips. The running light has stopped working and when I pulled it out to check I found it was full of glue (as in fact are all the other bulb harnesses... Choice). Indicator and fogs are working fine so it must be just the wiring in this plug but not sure how I can get that sh*t out without destroying it.

Incidentally, a new harness is around the $250 mark for these... Also choice.

Got get the caps off first somehow... They're glued solid, not sure how to do that without f*cking the contacts.

This is the light plugs, Tony...

post-16586-0-66307500-1423426845.jpg

post-16586-0-72991500-1423426853.jpg

Exactly one of those... Except one that's in Auckland not Hamilton!

Yeah sorry, can't really send it to you either, use it every day.

There is another in Hamilton as well but of the generic variety. Another option is an extendable radio antenna

Polley is that the genuine tool or something custom made? Nicer than what i've got either way

Genuine, part number AMP150807 according to what is stamped on it,

Yeah sorry, can't really send it to you either, use it every day.

Not to worry, that telescopic antenna idea on the thread Allan posted is pretty good.

Got get the caps off first somehow... They're glued solid, not sure how to do that without f*cking the contacts.

attachicon.gifphoto 2-2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 1-2.JPG

looks the same as ford mondeo

attachicon.gifphoto 2-2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 1-2.JPG

Old school. Thought I might have some spares in the loom here but nutting like that.

looks the same as ford mondeo

Can you confirm this? Sh*t load of wrecked Mondeos I could pillage!

Old school. Thought I might have some spares in the loom here but nutting like that.

24 years young mate. Thanks for looking.

If it's hot glue just stick a hot glue gun in there (sans glue stick) will melt it and gravity should do the rest. Just watch whats under the plug when you do it , or don't wear Jandals.

• Like 1

Find out :D - just watch for melting other bits guess. Small glue gun should be cheap ~$10. Mine was a POS bunnings one and it's still going 5-6 years later.

I don't have a hot glue gun... will a heat gun be hot enough?

Yup, will be hot enough.

• Like 1

Depends if it was done by the last owner or is the factory sealing method. We used a 2 pack epoxy for sealing the back of bulb sockets that are used on many, many vehicles (incl Volvo, Aston, Toyota, Peugeot, Porsche etc, etc, etc) - but that isnt one of mine.... Both sides the same? You may as well chuck it out if you try to melt the sealant out.

Are you sure its the bulb socket? Are the terminals contacting the bulb correctly? Tried bending them out a little for better contact with a bit more tension? If thats all OK, are you sure it isnt a break in the harness further down? You could bypass that with a soldering iron heatshrink & some new wire.

Edit: just had another look at the photo & it looks like the factory sealing to me & there maybe a splice in the ground terminal

Edited by elmarco

Edit: just had another look at the photo & it looks like the factory sealing to me & there maybe a splice in the ground terminal

Really, looks like my six year old son did it! Nothing obvious with the terminals but I'll fiddle around with it and, if I can get it working and can't get the glue out will have to get a new harness. Quoted $385+GST by the dealer with BMWCC discount... Ouch.