Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

A 540i E34

Love e34s. Dunno if I like that spoiler though

• Like 1

Looks good, quite pricey for an auto though IMO.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

The bodies hold up really well, its all the suspension stuff that I would want to know about, I don't think many on here spend a lot on E34 body work, because it's mostly solid, but the coin that goes on the suspension...have big pockets is all I want to say.

• Like 1

Yeah my thoughts too Lionel

I think if one was to take it serious its a 3-4k+ suspension overhaul for any E34, otherwise a lot of enjoyment will be lost.

In 2009 I had one but just lacked the experience to know where to start, but I did also discover the driveshaft hanger bearing was shot too, so those factors also need to be addressed.

Unfortunately the 'budget car' scenario only gets worse with these.

Initial price for the amount of car you get is very good I think.

1, Then you have to buy parts for it, and being the heavy car it is, it hard on everything, so basically overhaul everything..

2, But wait, you cant buy crap stuff, you have to get the BEST stuff, because these things eat crap for supper

3, But wait, even the BEST OEM stuff has its limits, and when you are driving it like you rented it..

4, The aftermarket stuff, has now made your car where you wanted it to be when you bought it, but now 'budget car' it is not.

5, Anything that was connected to anything that was passable, is now going to be mud soon too because everything is now harder and firmer than before...so they need replacing (see note1 and start again)

ha.

But mate, I have my car exactly where I want it now after spending a bit of money (cough cough) and I would drive it ahead of anything else I can think of, only because, its fairly rare, it looks awesome, its not super refined, or fast, but it gets the westie nod of approval everywhere I go, and that means as much to me as anything.ha.

• Like 3

Double or triple the cost of everything above... And get yourself an 8!

Ha, sad but true, but the stuff that works really well on E34's are E31 OEM stuff, esp wheels and brakes, I even have spherical front uppers and lowers, so I have already have some E31 $$$ stuff. I tend to go aftermarket only because I want to do more driving than maintenance, and that's when the good stuff really counts...and costs.

Having an E34 has made me think twice about getting up into an E31 regardless of how 'good' they may look, like what you said...x2...x3???

Back on topic, don't judge an E34 on its bodywork, because they are tough, the suspension esp anything with a bush, bearing, anything plastic or anything that can degrade..will.

And this is a V8, slightly harder to service etc, and more costly again.

But what fun to be had!!!

To be honest, Lionel, the E31 isn't that bad. As you say, a lot of the wear and tear items are shared with E32 and E34. Only gets really expensive when electronics start to fail or you start factoring in E31 unique parts. You'd want very deep pockets if you weren't prepared to get your hands dirty.

Still, I'd bank on a decent 8er costing at least $20K, even if you buy it for less than $10K!

:P But then one wouldn't have a classic looking BMW E34 with the iconic lights and grille in their most majestic form!

• Like 2

dash it your making me want to keep mine now

• Like 1

nice body work is a testamaent for how the rest of the car is likely to have been looked after IMHO....if you find a e34 with nice body work and nice interior nowadays you have probably found a car that is up to date with other maintenance.

• Like 2

nice body work is a testamaent for how the rest of the car is likely to have been looked after IMHO....if you find a e34 with nice body work and nice interior nowadays you have probably found a car that is up to date with other maintenance.

Yeah possibly, but the E34 interiors are hard wearing, the leather in these things age very well as does the rest of it, well compared to my E36, even my headliner is a 100 times better than the E36 I had.

In terms of this car though, its only done 163k which is great, my 2nd hand engine did more than that, ha which is less than the 200k miles the original did, so enough to suggest its had all the main things done, but not enough to cause any concern. I noticed that the valve covers on this one have either been blasted or painted, suggesting, plugs, oil, filter? valve cover seals should/may have been done, which is great. That sort of previous care, is what I would be looking for as well. It's bloody tidy this one.

That is really nice, would consider ridding the E39 for that

• Like 1

E34 540 for the win!

Great car, as Lionel said they aren't the fastest or the best handling car ever made but they're well built and have enough of the good stuff to hold their own.

Having owned an E39 540 I still prefer the E34 540, yes, it's not as well refined but its a rewarding drive if you push it a bit (and it feels fast as relatively low speed).

Put a manual behind it, get out of traffic and you'll be hooked.

• Like 1

or buy my V12 E34 Touring for not much more.

All front suspension less than 5000km old, most of it 2000km tops.

just some bushes in the back still to do but havent bothered with that, plenty of life there still.

Shameless plug!

• Like 7

or buy my V12 E34 Touring for not much more.

Plus... 12 is better than 8 for the girls.

• Like 4

Plus... 12 is better than 8 for the girls.

... out of ten? :P

On paper the 12 seems more impressive but in reality the M60 V8 is far more alluring, a more modern dohc 32v design, unique lovely sound, I do have a soft spot for the induction noise they make. Fabulous!

• Like 2

At least it's manual... You know, for the purists that can actually 'drive'.

• Like 1