Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

Getrag 220 for M50

Hey everyone, I have 2 questions about the 220,

1. Will it bolt up to the M50 in my 325 E36 coupe?

2. Will it be decent enough for track racing?

Fanks

I've a getrag (sorry unsure on model) bolted to mine and it's taken a beating, track it from time to time and no problems. I guess (don't know for sure) that if you tried to push high hp/torque it'd be more of a concern. The driveshaft is different between ZF and Getrag boxes. Apparently the 220 refers to being capable of "transfering 220 N·m nominal torque on the input shaft".

Kayne Barrie would be the one to talk to. But if you don't mind secondhand info, he mentioned to me the synchros can't handle fast shifts. Eg don't put a short shifter on it and rev match.

yes will work fine ,

same box from 316i 318i 318is 318ti 320i 323i 325i etc

I use a g220 in the race car, never let me down and is light as all hell

• Like 2

Some of the six speed boxes are a problem due to the ratios used in them, resulting in far more changes per lap at most NZ circuits. Whilst you get a bit more acceleration from the close ratios, I would argue you lose time due to the shifting.

Plus the extra weight of the six-speed box.

Cheers for the input guys. I've gone with the 220 for now. If it shits itself I'll get a 260 or something.

Now just need to sus a clutch kit out. Thinking of a M20 stage 2 kit

I use a g220 in the race car, never let me down and is light as all hell

Yep, I run a 240 in the turbo and never let me down

Some of the six speed boxes are a problem due to the ratios used in them, resulting in far more changes per lap at most NZ circuits. Whilst you get a bit more acceleration from the close ratios, I would argue you lose time due to the shifting.

Plus the extra weight of the six-speed box.

change diff ratio

learn to shift faster

They are a bolt up to most M4X M5X

Dam site stronger than most boxes on offer

And cheaper than a 260 ( alteast where i get mine from )

Were talking a race car not a shopping basket

Each to their own

If weight is a issue go on a diet or make more hp

opps last thing no one uses first gear unless putting on the trailer

Edited by crunchy
  • Like 1

change diff ratio

How does that help?

I am at a loss as to how changing a diff ratio is going to help reduce the number of shifts per lap.

The only thing I can think of is if you lower the diff ratio enough then you don't get into 6th, and reduces your acceleration due to the taller overall gearing, which kind of makes it pointless.

Kind of like having a first gear you only use to put it on the trailer...

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Ah ok

first off 1st gear is pointless in most boxes unless its a 4 speed,

If so called 6 speed ratio box is a issue ( to which my units have the exact same ratio as a 260 box ) then 6th is the same a 5th in a 260, you follow?

Which means you have a closer ratio box and half the time i never use 2nd so now we have a FAR stronger box with closer ratios and if you wish to use 2nd or 1st ( to which 1st is a very bad idea ) then its a win all round, if your theory was right people like people Slater wouldn't be using a 6 speed.

Its also common practice to change diff ratios to suit tracks, power band etc regardless of gear box ratios.

Conclusion you get a closer ratio box far stronger than a 220/240/260 etc for bugger all and regardless the extra weight you no longer have box issues, all sounds pretty good to me.

GS6-BZ/DZ

1st 4.35 2nd 2.496 3rd 1.665 4th 1.234 5th 1:1 6th 0.857

Most are limited on budget and dont have the coin to buy a flash box these boxes are great value, to get a 420G and convert it to manual shift plus have the shaft cut to take a key to help with gear slippage on big hp motors you wont get a lot of change from 4k if not more.

My boxes cost me well under 1k makes for cheap racing

The later (e90+?) six cyl and diesel box? Seems good value seeing as the ZF310s are about that.

Correct, depends on a lot of things, amount of coin being one of the biggest.

Off the shelf six speed would be a lot less $$$s than getting a custom set of ratios made up to suit your car / engine / diff combination.

As I said in my first post, SOME 6-speed boxes, not all, again there are different ratios around. So going 6-speed is not always the answer.

Correct, depends on a lot of things, amount of coin being one of the biggest.

Off the shelf six speed would be a lot less $$$s than getting a custom set of ratios made up to suit your car / engine / diff combination.

As I said in my first post, SOME 6-speed boxes, not all, again there are different ratios around. So going 6-speed is not always the answer.

Not sure what other 6 speeds your on about, but lets be serious here you dont think theres a endless supply of old 220/240/260 boxes sitting around to keep everyone happy and they are asking nearly as much for these as a cheap 6 speed.

I still think your missing a point regardless what box you run people still change diff ratios to suit tracks cause you cant exactly change a 220 to get what you want, thus the diff is the cheaper and easier option

Not sure what other 6 speeds your on about, but lets be serious here you dont think theres a endless supply of old 220/240/260 boxes sitting around to keep everyone happy and they are asking nearly as much for these as a cheap 6 speed.

I still think your missing a point regardless what box you run people still change diff ratios to suit tracks cause you cant exactly change a 220 to get what you want, thus the diff is the cheaper and easier option

If you can sort me a cheap six speed that you speak of then I'm in.

With the Crunch on this one, a good 6 speed plus a selection of diff ratios is where it is at.

At $2k+ for a diff, a selection of diffs is going to get expensive pretty quickly

A box you can change ratio's in will far exceed a diff, and most guys wont change either regardless the track and compromise with their driving

Racing isnt cheap full stop nor is changing a weak box all the time just to save a few kg's

freight out of the UK isnt that bad you could still land this under 1k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-SERIES-E60-E61-520D-6-SP-MANUAL-GEARBOX-GS6-37DZ/321649418003?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29952%26meid%3Df3d02567f3e947529d72a907bcd4484f%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D161057372037