Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

E46 M3 vs E90, E92 M3, Prons and Cons

^ nope I wouldn't say that, I'm speaking more figuratively than literally.

I've driven manual Mitsi Lancers that are not sporty but have connected me with the road and given me truck loads of joy.

I was basically having a dig at Audis which make you feel like you're being driven by a computer...

One of the most interactive cars I have driven in a long time was a old Peugeot 205, it was a $900 car, but so involving an fun at relatively low speeds, we are taking within the seed limit.

In my RS, and I love my RS, I have to sit between 130 and 150kph on a backroad to get that same thrill, and the Police don't like that. Steering feel is there and its still tactile, but you just find yourself doing very silly things that you simply wouldn't in a normal car, its all very anti social. I think the E46 could still be enjoyable at much lower speeds... that is soul.

I didn't say "soulless" I said it was a trade-off and I stand by that. It's an inevitable compromise as we move inexorably closer to not actually having to drive our cars.

And your example is a good one - how much money do you have to spend today to get a car with real "soul"? A lot more than yesteryear that's for sure!

And then we get to my other point, how many people could exploit (for example) a 458 (or E92 M3) and get the rush of balancing it on the limit (without electronics)? A whole lot less than could in a E46 M3 I suggest. And if you get it wrong I know which one I'd want to repair! :)

Going fast is one thing, driving fast is entirely another. A good driver can do both in the E46, you'd need to be a great driver to do both (without electronics) in the E92.

Edit: repairing rank forum auto-formatting.

Good post.

A direct experience I had was jumping in the Toyota GT86, not many affordable cars with that much feedback and enjoyment. Not fast at all but very nice to drive at relatively low speeds.

The E90 with the aids off didn't feel crazy to me, was still a heavy old reassuring BMW to drive.. I could see how you could put it into something backwards though, I changed to third mid sweeper at a decent speed (top of second) and it wanted to step out on me. It somehow wasn't that polished, still raw enough to give you a semi, especially that engine.

IMHO you could not go wrong with either and they will both be as enjoyable.

• Like 1

Inb4 e30...

For the money, e46 is hard to beat. You could get a 335i to go with it for the price of an e90!

we are taking within the seed limit.

What's your seed limit, Graham?

• Like 2

Haha, 110kph normally, I ned my licence for motorsports. But it's cornering you can have fun with, rotating a lesser car with no brakes or tyres around corner is fun, window down, seat of your pants. That's fun on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, seeding above 110kph is dangerous in anyone's books.

I am not sure what seeding is other than a spelling mistake... something to do with gardening?

But. I would disagree that speeding over 110kph is dangerous at all in a modern performance car with a competent driver.

• Like 3

My torrents seed at nearly the speed of light... thanks to Slingshot.

On topic though, if you are a person of considerable heft such as I, an E46 is many times tighter than an E90. and on that basis, the E90 triumphs for practicality.

otherwise, the E46 just seems much more true to the straight six ethos.

Edited by The Juggernaut
  • Like 1

I really like the direction this thread has begun to take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Seeding in the wrong area, at the wrong time with the wrong partner who has different expectations with the seeding programme can cause catastrophic results to your life further down the track, and effect your ability to drive competitively in the competitive area or even sedately in an urban area in a motor vehicle .... the results of making the correct decisions as life goes on is in your hands

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 3

kids = 5 series

Or if you are so inclined, the gorgeous 5GT.

bmw_535i_gt_6591.jpg

Everything expressed in the post is purely opinion and should not be taken seriously.

Looks like a big Prius

There's a joke in there someway about you and Toyotas, but i cant quit put my finger on it. :P

• Like 1

Ok guys. I think I have decided...

I am going to go for an E46 M3...

There are a few reasons:

No. 1 it has a straight six :))) lol To me it is an iconic engine. Especially in an M3. And I feel it resonates with me. :)))

No. 2 I will be able to fix it myself. This one is a biggy to me. I love working on my cars. I love understanding how they work. Unfortunately I feel a little uneducated in relation to new technologies to trust myself with an E92 and new V8 technology.

However I will drive both E46 and E92 to make the final decision.

So my next move now is to find a buyer for my E36 M3. If you know anyone, who might be interested in a very well looked after M3 please let me know.

Thank you for your input guys.

I really appreciate it a lot!

• Like 2